FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Importance of spline key orientation

<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:54 pm

Re: Importance of spline key orientation

Mikeh727 wrote:....I can probably change the spline key on the road if needed, but since I'm travelling by plane,
I can't take much in the way of tools since I don't check bags....

Last summer I flew to California. My carry-on bag consisted of several mounted dials, each wrapped in a towel.
I wasn't too sure just how well these bomb looking mechanical devises would go over at the x-ray machines. lol

Three different layovers from here to there, and I was only pulled aside once at the baggage check.
The guy, much to my surprise, very gently unwrapped one. Upon seeing it he looked a little confused.
I said "hobby". My girlfriend behind me said "obsession". He kinda grinned and said, "I won't ask".
We all kinda laughed.... and that was that. LOL. I also received some rather odd looks from peopl
on the plane as I spun away on the little pull down tray. Haha!!

Mikeh727 wrote:....Along those lines, I didn't use a dial alignment tool but just played with it until it didn't bind. Is there any reason to get one of those tools, other then it being faster?

I've wanted one for a long time. But I've also done just fine without one for a long time.
Align it by sight as best you can, then make any necessary adjustments afterwards.
I like to align & mount the lock case first. Then the dial ring. Just like you're doing.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:02 pm

Thanks Oldfast. Did back it off. Set it....forget it! Till I can get my hands on one that's 100% correct, don't think I will really know. Still learning lots. :smile:
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:52 pm

Good story Mike! I came through security today with barely a glance. Although, I'm an employee and wearing a uniform, so maybe that gains me a little leeway :smile:

I watched your spinning videos on youtube...I think my lock is probably just slightly easier to spin than that one was. It's hard to say, but when you spin and let go, mine keeps spinning a bit. Either way, it seems that I have followed the manufacturers instructions, so even though I'd like it a bit tighter, it might be technically correct. I hope to spin it some this evening and we'll see how it goes!

-M
I have an amazing grasp of the obvious. Beyond that, not so much.
<<

Altashot

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:13 pm

The way I see it Mikeh727, It is installed properly.
As per the instructions. However, it bugs me too when it fits loosely like that.
So here is a thing I do to get it perfect.

When the proper slot is too loose, or one more turn in, too tight,
I over tighten it by a 1/4 to 1/2 turn then check if it is still too tight.
If it is, I over tighten it a little more.
The idea is that, over tightening it, pulls the spindle out of the dial by a few thousandth of an inch.
The spindle is pressed quite deep in the dial and can be pulled out a little without separating completely.
This is NOT meant to lengthen a spindle that is too short, only meant for minute adjustments.
Also note that it is easy to go too far and get a loose fit again...Go a 1/4 turn or less when it get pretty close to fit perfect...

Of course this operation is done by hand only, tools will certainly mar the drive wheel and/or the dial.
When done carefully, One can get the perfect fit.
Right between too tight and too loose.

M.
<<

Oldfast

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:31 pm

Good stuff Alta! To be used cautiously for sure. Never thought of this. I like it!!!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:59 pm

Thanks Alta! This is great information. I think I'll play with the lock for a while, THEN try this method in case someone has beat me to it and I end up pulling the spindle out of the dial. Not likely, but I only have one lock with me for the week and I'd hate to end up with NO lock if I get too heavy-handed.

Thanks again!

-Mike
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:16 pm

Oldfast wrote:
As to your concern that it will allow for an easier manipulation..... not so. In fact, dials with way too
much slop can potentially pose more difficulties. If the dial happens to be out for one reading, then
in for the next, inconstant readings could occur. When encountering a dial like this it's recommended
that you pull the dial out (or in -whichever you prefer) PRIOR to taking each reading. Should be noted
that I've never actually experienced one like this. So I'm talking more from literature than experience. lol

It seems that this is a true statement. After making no adjustments and playing with this lock for a while, I was getting inconsistent results while graphing. While most of this can be chalked up to my lack of experience, I did make an adjustment using Alta's technique AND using a different spline key orientation to make the dial feel a bit tighter, and my results were a little more consistent and usable. It's not open yet, but after a couple of hours of playing with the lock and a small amount of frustration, I took the back off and confirmed that the results I was feeling were actually GOOD results. It's amazing how much you can learn about a lock (locks in general) in just a couple of hours of spinning the dial and paying attention. And it's a good confidence boost to know that so far my findings are accurate, even if it was cheating a little to look inside the lock.

Hopefully it will be open soon, and I can start over!

-Mike
Previous

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks