FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

First Manipulation...Sentry safe UNLOCKED!

<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:22 pm

First Manipulation...Sentry safe UNLOCKED!

Hey Guys,

STOKED!!

Today I opened my first safe lock, attached to my daughters Sentry Fire Safe. I'll try to be brief, but I'll post how I did it since no one else seems to have posted much about these safes.

These safes are different than more secure safes with spring loaded fences. They are NOT a group two lock. They have a direct entry fence, which means you have to turn the lever to open the safe once you have dialed in the correct combination. They have two wheels and the drive cam. The drive cam holds false gates, and one true gate.

Here's how I did it. Most of the information was available on this site, and the additional reading that I did was from links on this site. Thanks to Oldfast, Daggers, Altashot, Femurat, and Flywheel for information that they posted including tutorials. There are probably others, and I'm sorry if I missed someone!

So, where to start? The first thing that I did was felt all of the false gates. I didn't graph anything, but just found them by feel the way that you do with a master padlock. I wasn't sure how this would help at the time but it turned out to be important.

I needed to graph somehow, so on my first attempt I set up a pointer that was attached to the bolt lever and had a box on the side of the safe with some graph paper attached. I labeled each increment with a number so that the pointer pointed to numbers on the scale. According to the National Locksmith Guide to Manipulation, you should be able to map wheels through false gates. Also, consistent tension on the handle was important, so I set up a thick rubber band on the handle and attached to a hook on my workbench to keep tension on the handle and started to graph.

Graphing this safe is pretty easy. I used a different technique than Altashot used, mainly due to my inexperience. I started with AWL at zero. Each time I would release the tension on the handle (since the false gates will stop the dial from moving), moved in 2.5 increments, then let go of the handle so the rubber band would pull the handle down with the same tension every time. I recorded the number from the pointer on my graph. I was off and running.

And my graph was of absolutely no use whatsoever. I won't post it here, but it had points plotted all over the place. I was discouraged, so tried again with AWR. I got the same result and wasn't sure why.

I tried again AWL just to try SOMETHING. Same result.

I started playing with the dial, the handle, and looking at the graph. It turns out that even though the rubber band pulled a fair amount of tension, it wasn't enough to overcome some stickiness in the handle. In other words, I got inconsistent results and a graph that looked like I threw darts at it. So I decided to ditch the rubber band and just use hand pressure every new increment.

This worked much better. So my next graph I started with AWL and graphed in 2.5 increments. I got much more consistent results, except that I graphed out 12 possible gates. Yep, I had just graphed the 11 false gates and one true gate. Remember I mentioned that you should be able to graph through false gates? Not so much with this safe. I don't know if it's just this unit or these safes in general. The book is over 30 years old and perhaps these safes are a little different now than they were when the book was written. Either way, I graphed 12 gates, none any deeper than the other. But again, not a useful graph.

I remembered that Oldfast posted somewhere that the widest gate is usually the true gate. Well, the widest gate was easy to determine even without the graph. Just by feel, one gate was almost 4 increments wide, while all of the others were either two or three. This gate was from about 76-80. I picked 78 as the most likely last number and went from there.

My next graph was with the drive cam at 78 and wheels one and two AR, assuming that 2 would graph first. I got a flat line graph with no clear indications of a gate. I thought maybe one wheel was masking the other, so I put 1 and 3 on 78 and tried to graph wheel 2. The short version is that my results where inconsistent, with a couple of possible gates. (In this case, since the third number is attached to the drive cam, the direction isn't important. It will park in the same place no matter which direction it is dialed.)

Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed. I knew it was most likely my technique, my setup, or my assumptions. It wasn't the safes fault!

So I started over. I made a new, longer pointer and different scale thinking that a likely problem was that my graphing wasn't detailed enough. Then I started with the same assumption of the third number being 78. Here's a picture of the setup (with my two new S&G locks on top of the safe waiting to be mounted!):

Here's a closeup of the deflection graph for the handle:

And I proceeded to graph with 3 at 78 and 1 & 2 AR. I got what I thought was a pretty good gate signature at 47.5. I did a quick high test to try and figure out which wheel was indicating. What I found was that the fixed drive pins makes the right and left dialing differences 9 increments for the first wheel, so I picked 60 instead of 57.5 for the high test just to be safe. Wheel 1 indicated a deeper deflection by about .5 on my deflection scale, so I put 1 @ 47.5R, 3 at 78 and started to graph (and hope to open) wheel 2.

I got to 20, and WOOT! The door opened! Here are the last two graphs:

Yes, I know it says that I used 77.5 instead of 78 for wheel three...typo.

And, the open safe:

The combination was R47.5, L20, R78. But, that's the wrong direction! Not that it matters, the safe opens that way. But hey, the correct way to open the safe according to the manual is L-R-L. I had to figure out the RIGHT combination. Dialing from the other direction parks the gates at different numbers. Dagger talks about this in his book. The rule of thumb that I found in the National Locksmith Guide to Manipulation is that if you are converting a Left number to a Right number, the true number will be to the Right. If you're converting a Right number to a Left number, the resulting number will be to the Left. I figured out the difference, and it was 3 for wheel two and 9 for wheel 1. The actual combination L38-R23-L78.

What a great feeling it was to open this safe!!

Once I started over, it took about an hour to get into the safe. Total time spent was more like 5 or 6 hours, but the experience was invaluable. After the fact, I'm glad it didn't all go perfect at first since I learned things NOT to do.

Thanks everyone, and thanks for letting me share the excitement!

-Mike
I have an amazing grasp of the obvious. Beyond that, not so much.
<<

dmasters

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:36 pm

Re: First Manipulation...Sentry safe UNLOCKED!

Good job, Mikeh! You at least got a cigar, right?
<<

rzr800

Post Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:39 pm

Grats, nice work.
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:40 pm

dmasters wrote:Good job, Mikeh! You at least got a cigar, right?

I wish! It was full of papers...but it is a cool box!

-Mike
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:03 pm

Thank you for the play-by-play. Great fun to read. :-)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:13 pm

Thanks Rzr and Gordon!

-M
<<

Altashot

Post Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:59 pm

Nice! Congrats!

Good write up too.
It seems that we always discover the wrong ways first, then, trough trial and error, we finally find what works...
Learning from our mistakes...Just human nature I guess.

It's nice to hear of a success story from someone that applied what they read on here...
Makes us feel like we made a difference.

M.
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:23 pm

Altashot wrote:Nice! Congrats!

Good write up too.
It seems that we always discover the wrong ways first, then, trough trial and error, we finally find what works...
Learning from our mistakes...Just human nature I guess.

It's nice to hear of a success story from someone that applied what they read on here...
Makes us feel like we made a difference.

M.

Thanks Altashot. You guys absolutely made a difference. Your piece was excellent!

Thanks again.

-Mike
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:48 pm

Very exciting! I really enjoyed reading through this.
Especially like how you included the ups & downs!
It's not always ez-pz :)

Mikeh727 wrote:Just by feel, one gate was almost 4 increments wide, while all of the others were either two or three.
This gate was from about 76-80. I picked 78 as the most likely last number and went from there.

I've only played with one Sentry safe - an old 1250 I have. As I mentioned in another thread, I found the
gates in this one to be 6 or even 7 increments wide. From your manipulation, it seems these newer ones
might be a little tighter at 4 incs wide.

Now that you have a working combo (very well done btw, VERY well done)... could you do me a favor?
Re-work the combination, but alter only w1. See just how many increments it spans yet still opens for you.
Then do the same, but for wheel 2. Are they all indeed 4 increments wide? If this is the case, I'd certainly
want to change my approach a bit with these newer ones. Much appreciated if you get the time.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:03 pm

Oldfast wrote:Now that you have a working combo (very well done btw, VERY well done)... could you do me a favor?
Re-work the combination, but alter only w1. See just how many increments it spans yet still opens for you.
Then do the same, but for wheel 2. Are they all indeed 4 increments wide? If this is the case, I'd certainly
want to change my approach a bit with these newer ones. Much appreciated if you get the time.

I was curious too, and here's what I found:

Wheel one would open from 36.5-40.5. So four increments wide.

Wheel two was 22-25.5. I triple checked to try and see if it was a little wider but no luck. 3.5 increments.

And the drive cam, it was 75-81! However, I had to dial back R to get 75 to work, and you could see the dial move as the fence 'pushed it's way into the gate. Same with 81...dialing R would do the same thing, but coming back L 81 wouldn't work. So 76-80 are the edges, while 76 and 81 will work if approached from the correct direction and force into the gate.

So a dialing tolerance of just less than 2 for the tightest tolerances on wheel two.

-M
<<

Oldfast

Post Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:34 pm

Hey, thanks so much for taking time for me. Good information really.
I've never encounter this newer 'click-click' type... but I'm sure that
someone will eventually want one open. You've definitely helped!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:16 pm

Oldfast wrote:Hey, thanks so much for taking time for me. Good information really.
I've never encounter this newer 'click-click' type... but I'm sure that
someone will eventually want one open. You've definitely helped!

I'm glad that it helped. I've got a ways to go to repay the information I've gotten from you and others here though. :smile:

Back to the safe....

I've been looking at the notes I took while working with this safe, and the combination has the first and third numbers within one of the 12 gates on the drive cam while the second number is almost exactly halfway between two gates. I realize this is only one example, but my foray into combination locks began with master padlocks which have a predictable combination pattern once you determine the last number. Is it possible that these safes also have a predictable combination pattern? It would seem that someone would have figured that out by now, but since no one has really said much of anything about these safes here, I'd run the risk of sounding silly and asking the question. Any thoughts?

-M
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:39 pm

The Sentry combo 'safes' I have taken apart could have the wheels removed and rotated every 90 degrees. That gives four possible combination numbers per wheel. 4^3 gives 64 possible combinations. Clearly, it is possible that there are more wheels, but perhaps not.

Wonder if someone were to compile a list of known combinations, and take into consideration the width of the gates (4-6 numbers), how many combinations would not fall into that range of 64 combination positions. It would not be that hard to brute-force 64 known combinations.

It some people want to try this, please communicate by PM, unless a moderator/admin/muffin-man think it would be alright to compile a public list. Probably wiser not to post a list of known combinations/permutations on a public forum where someone not up to our ethical standards might see the list. If a mod says it is ok, then we can start it on a thread.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:27 pm

For those comfortable in doing so, please PM me with known combinations for Sentry safes. The combinations will not be tied to any names or users. Just compiling a list of known combinations. Even I will not be keeping records of who the combinations are tied to. Don't care if it is a safe you own, or just know the combination to. Will not need anyone trying out anything until more data is collected.

IF it is later agreed to share data, no full combinations will be posted, because the theory, if it proves out, will not necessitate doing so. Have an idea that so far is proving accurate. But I have insufficient data to verify that the idea is accurate in proof. Would especially appreciate input from our known safe techs, whose help will be needed to see if the theory works in reality.

Thank you,

Gordon
<<

shadowlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:30 am

Excellent Job on that safe. And very well written story too. I can't wait to start learning to manipulate safe locks too. Good Job buddy.

Rick
Next

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks