FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Let's talk about amplification...

<<

CPT1911

Familiar Face

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:36 am

Let's talk about amplification...

So I was feeling thoroughly defeated by that LaGard 3332 a few weeks ago and impulsively ordered one of the MBAusa lock amps. They actually have them on sale right now for $30 less than what I paid for mine. :twisted: Currently $69 instead of the hundo I paid...whatever.

Anywho, I would like to know how the pros actually use this thing. Obviously, they can be used to help diagnose mechanical issues like stuck flys, unlocked wheels from an improper combo change, etc....but what about aiding manipulation?

I have lots of successful opens using sight and feel, but honestly haven't seen a huge benefit to amplification so far. I've found that the amp helps on a few locks where the CPs are so mushy that I can't consistently stop---the amp allows me to hear the CP and stop precisiely for the reading. But there are only a couple locks where this is really an issue...one is an ILCO P67 that is just impossible to feel for some reason, and I like it on the Moslers.

But anyway, what other manipulation techniques can the amp help you with? I thought it might be possible to hear a slight click when spinning the wheels past the gate on the reading wheel (presumably, the gate would create a little bump in the road as you go flying past it, but I haven't experimented with this much). I've also used the amp when playing with the LaGard 3332 to try to get SOMETHING from the damn thing, but no dice....

So for all you users of the lock amp---how else can this tool help me manipulate besides just confirming arrival at a contact point?

Trevor
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:39 pm

Re: Let's talk about amplification...

In most locks that I am familiar with, the fence does not contact the wheels unless the drive cam gate is under the lever nose. So don't think you would hear a click from the wheel gates passing under the fence. :(

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

CPT1911

Familiar Face

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:38 pm

haha what the hell was I even thinking. Great point lol.
<<

Altashot

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:17 pm

I use a Lockmasters amp when I encounter a lock with very fain CP's
Basically, all it does, at least for me, is add another sense in addition to feel and sight.
The more senses I involve, the more successful I become. I think I get more immersed in what I'm doing
and it helps to tune distractions out. That and people don't try to talk to you when you have earphone on and they seem to take you more seriously. To the untrained, manipulation looks like you are only spinning the dial. Now put on the earphones and
you look like a pro. It just look so much cooler.
I already use my "6th sense" or gut feeling but if there was a way to add smell and taste to the experience...
...I would.

M.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:30 pm

Altashot wrote: if there was a way to add smell and taste to the experience...
...I would.

M.

I would skip that taste option when manipulating a floor safe in the chef's office of a restaurant. Yech! :puke:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks