FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

S&G Safe Lock Help!

<<

shadowlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:12 pm

S&G Safe Lock Help!

Hello all,

I need some help on a lock I received today. I told a buddy at work that I was interested in learning how to manipulate Safes and would be doing some reading on the subject. He then told me he had a safe lock to give me. And so he did. It does not have a conventional stand, rather he made a "homemade" type stand using a box filled with some material (you'll see in the pics). I would like to know everything I can about this lock, especially if it's suitable for learning. My buddy said he had it for at least 15 years and it is prob older than that. I would like to know if there is a way for me to change the combo to it even though I do not have a "change key". A brief description:

The dial says: Sargent & Greenleaf. Nicholasville, Kentucky and the dial goes from 0-99

When I got the lock from my buddy, the back plate was off already and I'm not sure if it is the original back cover plate since it does not lay flat on the back of the box, and I can not close it or reattach it. The spindle will not let it sit flush.

The back plate says: Group 2 Series 1800 La Gard Torrance, Calif.

I would appreciate any info, advice, or help.

Thanks
Rick
Shadowlock
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:44 pm

Re: S&G Safe Lock Help!

The spindle is too long. Cut it down, or shim the lock body away from the back of the box so the spindle sits flush with the back of the drive cam. ;-)

Also, the dial is S&G, but those are Lagard back cover and wheels. Diebold uses the same kind of wheels.

Gordon
Last edited by GWiens2001 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

faygo6

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:47 pm

It was probably originally mounted to something thicker than the box its mounted to now. That's why the spindle sticking out, it had to tightened onto the box. No worries there. Can you feel the contact area on the dial without looking in the back yet?
<<

shadowlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:59 pm

Thanks Gordon. I think I'll leave it as is for now until I can get it mounted on a wooden board or something.

Faygo6...It's funny you ask that...I sure can...just moving the dial back and forth you can feel the right and left contact points when they hit the nose. Crazy!! 8-)
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:08 pm

That's a LaGard lock with a S&G dial. I don't see why it shouldn't work, frankly I never tried this! So, remake a new mount to fit the spindle....or...cut the spindle to fit your mount. If you want to keep it on a shelf you may want it to look like a finished presentation anyway. The dial is in pretty good shape. You will be reading the indications in fractions of a number so you may want to clean it to make the lines sharper. It will help. So, good luck and keep us informed as to your progress.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:36 am

Nice lock. You may start manipulating it as it is. There's no need to cut the spindle down. You can play with it even without the back cover.
Being able to look at the wheels is useful when you start out...

Cheers :)
<<

shadowlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:45 am

@ mastersmith....Thanks for the advice...I will clean it up a little more. I took those pics just after the guy gave me the lock. He said he had it under his workbench for almost 20 years.

@ Femurat...I agree!...the guy said he'll help me build a more proper stand, and I'll just leave the back plate off so I can look while I'm learning. I'm currently reading up on the subject. An article by M. Blaze
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:03 am

I've red that article when I was starting out... it's good but a bit confusing at certain points. I suggest you read my tutorial too!

Cheers :)
<<

shadowlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:08 am

Thanks alot Femurat....I'm gonna read it right now!....I'll let you know how it goes. Hey, do you have any videos that I can watch on YT?? If you do send me your channel name and I'll go watch as well.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:18 am

You're welcome mate. I've not published videos, sorry.

Good luck :)
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:05 pm

femurat wrote:You're welcome mate. I've not published videos, sorry.

Except for those videos from when he was young and needed the money. Then again, he did not publish those himself. :P

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks