FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Just bought my first S&G R6700's...

<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:07 pm

Just bought my first S&G R6700's...

...and I have a couple of questions.

I just won an auction on ebay for two S&G R6700 Liberty Safe locks so I can start my foray into the world of manipulation. I got what I think was a great deal on them, but I have a few questions. At least one and I assume both are 6730's based on the pictures, they both have a keyway in the dial, and they both come with no keys or combinations. To me, that's just a bonus...four puzzles for the price of two!

My questions have to do with the keyed locks. Looking at the pictures, it appears that the keyed locks are wafer locks, which should pose little problem unless there's something I'm missing. Can anyone tell me if that's the case? And secondly, I'm assuming that the keyed lock either locks the bolt extended or locks the bolt retracted, either allowing the dial to turn or locking it in place so it cannot be turned. Is this a true statement? Since they were removed from gun safes, I'm assuming they were unlocked when they were removed since they would have had to open the safe to remove them, and I can't imagine anyone would lock them and then not have the keys, but ya never know...

Here's a link to the original listing with pictures if anyone is interested: My new locks

Hopefully I got thank link posted correctly..

Thanks to anyone who can comment!

-Mike
<<

flywheel

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Just bought my first S&G R6700's...

The dial lock only prevents turning of the dial. The dial lock can be easily removed from the dial if need be, but from the picture it appears to be in the unlocked position.
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:37 pm

Thanks Flywheel. I figured that since is was disassembled I could probably remove the keyed lock if need be, but if I don't have to I would prefer to keep it intact. But then I got to wondering about how it actually worked and you answered that question.

Thanks!

-Mike
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:28 pm

Most of those are wafer locks anyway. Takes a few seconds to pick them. :?

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:50 pm

Thanks Gordon. I kind of figured it was a wafer lock. Not really much of a security feature! :shock:
<<

flywheel

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:12 pm

Unnecessary, but worth 3000 words...
2014-02-27 15.53.08.jpg
2014-02-27 15.53.38.jpg
2014-02-27 15.54.18.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:07 pm

Flywheel, unnecessary maybe but hugely appreciated! I don't have the attention span for 3000 words but those pictures do the trick. :salute:

Thanks for posting those! Not really a bolt, but a cam that stops the dial from turning when engaged in the bezel, if that's the right term.

Cool.

-M
I have an amazing grasp of the obvious. Beyond that, not so much.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:47 am

Mikeh727 wrote:I just won an auction on ebay for two S&G R6700 Liberty Safe locks so I can start my foray into the world of manipulation. I got what I think was a great deal on them....

Exciting stuff Mike! As far as the price...
I wouldn't call it a steal, but ya got a fair deal.
$25-$30 seems to be the going rate right now.

Mikeh727 wrote:....they both have a keyway in the dial, and they both come with no keys or combinations.....

I'm really not sure, but I don't think there's a wide variety of bittings for these.
IF I'm right, and you're interested, I probably have a couple keys you can have.
However, after you get these locks, I think you'll find that you'll rarely use them.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Mikeh727

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:09 pm

Thanks Mike. If I ever decide I have a need for a key, I may reach out to you. I plan to purchase a change key so I can change the combinations and use these for practice as much as I can. And it's good to know that I got at least a fair price. Some of them I saw on eBay were pretty spendy, but those were new. These were the only ones that I found at the time that were used.

Once I get these I may have more questions...I've been following all of the manipulation posts that you've posted, that Femurat has posted, I've read Daggers book plus the additional reading material he suggested, and while I have questions, I think I might be able to answer some of them myself once I get these locks, pull the back off and start playing with the dials to be sure I understand EXACTLY how these things work and what dialing shortcuts I can take. All of that information is invaluable.

Thanks again!

-Mike
I have an amazing grasp of the obvious. Beyond that, not so much.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks