FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Group 1--LaGard 1985

<<

flywheel

Post Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:55 pm

Group 1--LaGard 1985

Let's start with a few pictures. Some are large data-wise.

20140219_122413.jpg
merge3.jpg
20140219_122957.jpg
20140219_123013.jpg

The brass plate prevents viewing of the wheels and is probably meant for safecrackers of the black ski mask variety. It was removed.

merge.jpg

You have probably noticed this looks almost identical to the LaGard 3332 in CPT1911's thread:
http://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=8822
I would venture that they are fundamentally the same lock.

With the back cover off I have spun, watched, and listened. One thing I listened for was the sound of the fence contacting the wheels. The sound is slight but clearly defined. Or so I thought. I became absolutely convinced that the lever nose was touching the cam right before the fence made contact. I took a red marker and highlighted the area around the cam gate and then moved the dial back and forth through this area.

merge4.jpg

My suspicions were confirmed. While not particularly useful in itself, what I first thought was one sound (fence on wheels) is, in fact, two distinct sounds. Originally, I thought it was just mechanical noise from all the moving parts.

Now with lock in hand I tested some of my proposed hypotheses from the other thread.

The first was centering the roller on the tomahawk's corner and looking for deviations from norm on the dial when gates were under the fence or not. What I found was that there is far too much friction acting to place the roller consistently. The tomahawk corner is not sharp enough and the spring tension is not sufficient to "snap" the wheel left or right when unbalanced.
The practice fell short, so I decided to test the theory. While viewing the back of the lock I place the roller approximately on the peak of the tomahawk. Then, rotating the roller towards the flat side I watched for the first instance that the tomahawk moved back towards it's resting position. Placing my thumb securely on the cam I turned over the lock and checked where the indicator fell on the dial. I did this both with gates and without gate under the fence. The change in dial position is significant. If it was possible to blindly do this with only dial manipulation the lock could be manipulated open quickly. Oh well, it was a nice thought.

The second hypothesis was testing the dial's position when the fence falls on the wheels. On this lock that happens roughly at 94 and 12. Once again, viewing the back of the lock I held the cam securely the instant the fence touched the wheels and checked the dial. While not as significant, there is definite fluctuation in these contact points at random points on the wheel pack and with gates are under the fence. I believe this to be the most realistic way to manipulate the lock open.

Of course, to hear the CPs the dial needs to be rotated with enough force that the fence hits the wheels audibly. Consistently reading the dial while wiggling it back and forth over an increment length is an additional challenge.
Well, challenge accepted! Group 1 be damned. I'll do it in 19 hours!

Thanks for stopping by--take it easy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:05 am

Re: Group 1--LaGard 1985

flywheel wrote:I'll do it in 19 hours!

LOL that's the spirit man! Can't wait to hear more about your theory.

Good luck :)
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:12 am

:agree:

Thank you for posting the pictures and your theory on manipulating the lock. Want to know more!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

CPT1911

Familiar Face

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:51 am

Hi flywheel! Great to see you got one of these! There were several times when I was working on the 3332 that I thought, "Man, if this is the 2M, I hate to think what the Group 1 looks like!" Seeing that the 2M and the Group 1 are basically the same lock gives me hope!

flywheel wrote:I became absolutely convinced that the lever nose was touching the cam right before the fence made contact. I took a red marker and highlighted the area around the cam gate and then moved the dial back and forth through this area.

I will repeat this test on my 2M, but I swear I can see light between my lever nose and cam through out rotation. But I'll take a look.

flywheel wrote:The tomahawk corner is not sharp enough and the spring tension is not sufficient to "snap" the wheel left or right when unbalanced.

This is what I found as well. You can keep the tomahawk balanced for like a full graduation or something.

flywheel wrote:The second hypothesis was testing the dial's position when the fence falls on the wheels. On this lock that happens roughly at 94 and 12. Once again, viewing the back of the lock I held the cam securely the instant the fence touched the wheels and checked the dial. While not as significant, there is definite fluctuation in these contact points at random points on the wheel pack and with gates are under the fence. I believe this to be the most realistic way to manipulate the lock open.

This is the area I have focused on as well with my lock. You will recall in my 2M post I described replacing the spring with a wire to remove all play in the linkage and testing these CPs. On my lock, the one at 99 (your 94) was more positive than the one around 12. I agree with your comment that you must be able to perceive the exact moment the fence makes contact with the wheel pack and stop at that point, the theory being that you'll go slightly past 99 when the fence makes contact because it will move slightly deeper into the wheel pack, no? Is that the way you are thinking of it? I used my lock amp to magnify this sound and read the CPs that way. Honestly, I did not see meaningful variation the way you described. Are we talking about the same thing?

I received my 1/2"x 5"x8" steel plates yesterday and I will be mounting the 3332 on solid steel this weekend and then using the lock amp again to test this theory. To this point, I have basically been balancing it on the lock body which probably reduces sound fidelity. I'll let you know how it goes.

Keep up the good work man! I would love for you to teach me how to open the 3332!
<<

ARF-GEF

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:39 pm

Wow great job you did there! It's always isnpiring to see ppl manipulate things which are far beyond my skillset :)
Yeah continue the great work man :)
To infinity... and beyond!
=== WARNING DANGER OF TYPOS!===
Arfspeak: calnin cladycomes: you allow her key in themodning
Equals in plain English: cleaning lady comes: you allow her key in the morning
<<

flywheel

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:51 pm

Small update:
The plan was to manipulate the lock with the back cover removed and the combination known to me. This way I could easily check each part's position while trying to identify sounds. I quickly discovered this was not going to work. First, the lever is not secured to the body and can slide up on the pivot. Second, the tomahawk likes to pop out slightly itself either due to the spring or gravity. I tried to push things back into place between each interval but playing the manipulation game with thousandths of an inch was not going to work with the back cover off.

I replaced the cover and continued the manipulation with the same combination. Remember I am trying to distinguish the sound of the fence on the wheel pack while determining the exact dial position. When listening hard for that sound (it is very inconsistent) you realize how much noise the lock makes. And that is after you realize how much noise your house makes. Add in the eye strain from repeatedly testing each CP again and again and again. I am easily doing this step 10x as much (for each interval!) as a group 2 lock. This is required because the dial must be turned with enough force to produce the desired sound, but lightly enough to stop the dial at the same point.

Enough about the difficulty. I fear that knowing the combination has introduced selection bias into reading the CPs accurately. I am going to change to an unknown combination and begin again. Also, the CP at 94 is so iffy that I just might ignore testing it unless a suitable candidate for a gate emerges. Below is the graph from the first attempt. I'll hold off telling you what the combo was until the next post, but I am curious to hear what approach you would have taken with the information provided.

The blue line is AWL. The green line is W1+W2 @30L and W3 AR. I chose 30 as the low after the AWL test. The red line is AWR looking for better indications.

Thanks for stopping by. Bye!

2014-02-24 18.58.40.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:55 am

That lock is beyond my experience, so I'm of little help I know.... but maybe that's why I find this so interesting!

Thanks for sharing it, and I look forward to your next update. Don't get scalped by the 'tamahawk'! LOL
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

flywheel

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:45 pm

Good day!

Now that the lock's combination is changed and unknown to me let's enjoy the graph below. The red line and black line are both graphing the same thing, specifically W1+W2 LA and W3 @ R76. You might think they should look similar. You would be wrong. :steam:
Uh oh! Accuracy was always iffy, but now it looks like precision is in question. Is the theory bad? Or is it a lack of technique and experience needed to tease out the small audible clues?

Have a nice day!

2014-04-15 14.53.14.jpg
<<

LockManipulator

Post Thu May 15, 2014 9:09 am

What exactly is the difference between this lock and the 2M version: the 3332? I can't seem to locate anything different except the anti-viewing plate thingy.
<<

flywheel

Post Thu May 15, 2014 10:17 am

Daggers wrote:What exactly is the difference between this lock and the 2M version: the 3332? I can't seem to locate anything different except the anti-viewing plate thingy.

The difference, my dear Daggers, is that upon opening I can say, "Group 2M, the 3332? Pshaw! I have opened a GROUP 1 LOCK!"
I imagine all this with my arms upraised in some sort of victorious pose standing over you lesser safecrackers.

Facetiousness aside, the 3332 and 1985 appear to be identical.
<<

LockManipulator

Post Thu May 15, 2014 10:25 am

flywheel wrote:
Daggers wrote:What exactly is the difference between this lock and the 2M version: the 3332? I can't seem to locate anything different except the anti-viewing plate thingy.

The difference, my dear Daggers, is that upon opening I can say, "Group 2M, the 3332? Pshaw! I have opened a GROUP 1 LOCK!"
I imagine all this with my arms upraised in some sort of victorious pose standing over you lesser safecrackers.

Facetiousness aside, the 3332 and 1985 appear to be identical.

Haha that's a pretty big deal, opening a group 1! I'm currently working on my 4 wheel group 1 mosler and getting close :) I'll be posting about it soon.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks