FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Spline key

<<

flywheel

Post Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:39 pm

Spline key

Spline keys. Who has them? Where can I get them? I have two, one is too loose and I just bent the other one. :twisted:
mbausa.com sells them individually for $1 (S&G) or $2 (LaGard) respectively. Really!? :bird:
Then they charge you $9.95 for flat rate shipping. :steam:

Thanks
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:57 pm

Re: Spline key

Shit yeah, I know what ya mean. Acquiring bits & pieces can be a killer when it comes to safe locks.
I have only a few extra spine keys myself... if I had more, I wouldn't hesitate to send you a few!

Probably not telling you anything new, but you can pound them out to expand them for a tight fit.
Obviously, this is NOT recommended for a safe in use, but should suffice for what we're doing.

Hopefully someone around here has some extras, or maybe a better source than you've found.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

CPT1911

Familiar Face

Post Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:59 pm

I use mbausa.com. I agree that $1 seems a little steep, but their prices on everything else seem ultra reasonable to me, so I would also suspect that S&G/LaGard don't sell them cheap because they really have no reason to. They could probably sell them for $2 and not lose any sales volume--you gotta have one! I've also never been bothered by the shipping because I tend to put together large orders lol and the shipping was actually a savings for me. I can see how it would be frustrating in your situation, however.

Seriously though, I got by for a long time just taking the used spline keys and peening them a little with a ball peen hammer. This widened and/or deformed the spline key enough that they gave plenty of 'bite.' Certainly enough for a practice lock. This seemed to work a little better with the S&G than LaGard because the S&G appear to be a softer brass.

One word of caution. If you do choose to use this method, don't get to aggressive with the hammer. The spline key doesn't need to be insanely tight, just tight enough to give piece of mind. If you make it too tight, you might end up breaking one like I did when you try to remove it. Don't be a dumbass like I was and drill it if that happens. All you need to do is snip off the top of the spline key and use a super thin punch to drive the shaft of the spine key deeper into the spindle until it releases the threads and you can unthread the whole mess. You may already know this, but I fucked it up the first time.

Good luckl bro!
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:24 pm

CPT1911 wrote:I use mbausa.com. I agree that $1 seems a little steep, but their prices on everything else seem ultra reasonable to me,

Not just to you, their prices are inflated.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:54 am

CPT1911 wrote:If you make it too tight, you might end up breaking one like I did when you try to remove it. Don't be a dumbass like I was and drill it if that happens. All you need to do is snip off the top of the spline key and use a super thin punch to drive the shaft of the spine key deeper into the spindle until it releases the threads and you can unthread the whole mess.

Great advice. You may want to notice before mounting the lock if the slot is long enough to use this method. Sometimes the groove doesn't run trough all the spline but stops somewhere in the middle. If you cut the spline to mount it on a thin board, you may end up with the groove end just under the cam position.

About spline keys, get a small piece of brass and cut one yourself. It's not that difficult. Just make it a little bigger and then file it down to size.

Cheers :)
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:18 am

If you decide to cut the spindle...

*Mount the lock and dial ring and dial. Mark where the spindle comes out of the cam.
*Remove the dial/spindle and the cam from the lock.
*Thread the cam onto the spindle until it is further down than the area to be cut.
*Cut the spindle
*Now unthread the cam from the spindle.

As the cam is unthreaded from the spindle over the cut area, it will clean up the threads, making installation back into the lock much easier.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

CPT1911

Familiar Face

Post Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:20 am

piotr wrote:Not just to you, their prices are inflated.

Hi piotr, who would you recommend ordering from? As a hobbyist, it seems like my options are kind of limited, but I am knew to this so I would love some advice.

Trevor
<<

mechanical_nightmare

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:46 am

Is it possible to remove a spline key without damaging it, and the re-use it to install the lock again? I recently installed a LaGard lock on a wooden stand but would like to change the stand because of binding issues (rather inexperienced with combination locks). Any tips and tricks are welcome.
<<

flywheel

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:00 am

mechanical_nightmare wrote:Is it possible to remove a spline key without damaging it, and the re-use it to install the lock again? I recently installed a LaGard lock on a wooden stand but would like to change the stand because of binding issues (rather inexperienced with combination locks). Any tips and tricks are welcome.

Sure, a pair of pliers has worked for me.
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:20 pm

flywheel wrote:
mechanical_nightmare wrote:Is it possible to remove a spline key without damaging it, and the re-use it to install the lock again? I recently installed a LaGard lock on a wooden stand but would like to change the stand because of binding issues (rather inexperienced with combination locks). Any tips and tricks are welcome.

Sure, a pair of pliers has worked for me.

another way to do it is clamp onto the spline key with visegrips and carefully pry the visegrips up with a flat head screwdriver (at least that's what I've been told)

Here's another site that sells spline keys http://www.safeandlockstore.com/sargent-greenleaf-u17-spline-key-10-pieces/
$13.99 for 10 spline S&G keys with $5.85 flat rate shipping-I've never bought from them. I'm concidering buying some from them, but I thought that might still be a little high.

Also I'm looking for some affordable safe dials-new or used for some locks that I bought
<<

mechanical_nightmare

Post Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:54 pm

@ flywheel and Dave: Thanks for the tips, I will give it a try soon. I'm also thinking of getting a new dial, I think my current one may be a little bent...
If you do not manipulate the lock, then the lock will manipulate you
<<

flywheel

Post Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:39 pm

mechanical_nightmare wrote:I'm also thinking of getting a new dial, I think my current one may be a little bent...

Suspend the dial and ring together by holding the end of the spindle between thumb and forefinger. Using those fingers spin the dial back and forth. You can even use a finger on the other hand to lightly hold ring stationary and watch the numbers go by the indication marks if you want. A bent spindle will quickly be apparent.

edit: spelling, grammar
Last edited by flywheel on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:12 pm

flywheel wrote:
mechanical_nightmare wrote:I'm also thinking of getting a new dial, I think my current one may be a little bent...

Suspend the dial and ring together by holding the end of the spindle between thumb and forefinger. Using those fingers spin the dial back and forth. You can even use your other finger on the other hand to lightly hold ring stationary and watch numbers go my indication marks if you want. A bent spindle will quickly be apparent.

Is there any way to bend them back straight?
<<

flywheel

Post Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:41 pm

I don't know.
If the bend is in the middle of the spindle I would say no. If the bend is where the spindle and dial meet I would guess it is possible. Secure the dial end and without damaging the threads at end of spindle (leather strap?) make small corrections until square again. Good luck!

I have received a few locks via ebay and packaging is a big problem, i.e. no one does it. Metal bends folks, and is more prone to bending when stuck between the relatively heavy dial and lock body.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:41 pm

So Dave is asking about straightening a bent spindle, and flywheel starts talking about leather straps. Now we know where flywheel's mind is!

:mrgreen:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks