FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

New Vintage Mosler

<<

CPT1911

Familiar Face

Post Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:55 pm

New Vintage Mosler

Super excited about a new Mosler I picked up recently. I would love to know when this thing was made? I'm guessing 20's or 30's? Anyone know anything about the history of this model?

Looking at the components, it appears that this was simply a key change version of the lock that Oldfast shared with us in manipulation #17: http://www.keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=7432&start=135

I haven't done a full manipulation yet, but I've tested contact point readings around the combo it came with and this should be a pretty straight forward open, although it is dialed R-L-R. I also noted the same microscopic variance dialing R-L-R or L-R-L. The conversion is so small, you can actually use the same numbers going either direction!

I built the stand yesterday, but I still need to make a change key for it...

Front Dial.JPG

Dial Close.JPG

Back.JPG

Wheels.JPG

Stand.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

CPT1911

Familiar Face

Post Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:27 pm

Re: New Vintage Mosler

May have answered my own question on vintage. Found this list of Mosler manufacturing dates. Not sure if it is accurate. Based on this, my lock was made in 1941. Makes sense but who knows!

http://boemosler.freeservers.com/serial.htm
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:07 pm

CPT1911 wrote:Super excited about a new Mosler I picked up recently....

I don't blame ya! That's a beauty!

CPT1911 wrote:....The conversion is so small, you can actually use the same numbers going either direction!

Yeah, that Mosler of mine you linked to is the only one I've come across that does this.
You've experienced enough locks (more than me I think)... so I think you'd probably
agree when I say that most, if not all modern day locks don't work like that now.

BEAUTIFUL job on that stand Trevor! I love it!

Also, great find on the serial #'s. I've bookmarked it.

p.s. My only complaint... your gutshots are missing one picture! I demand this be remedied :whip: :D
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:26 am

Nice find! I like how you joined the wood... I'd prefer box joints but don't have the equipment to cut them. I'll probably copy yours for my next super thick stand.

Cheers :)

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks