FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Problems cracking my first combination lock!

<<

Gregted

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:12 am

Problems cracking my first combination lock!

I bought my first combination lock to have a go at cracking
Master fortress com lock.jpg

and followed instructions on this site and this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVlArw7_cz4

Unfortunately, it didn't work. I can only find 5 numbers and even then the numbers don't work using this method.

I tried this method without looking at the combination on the back but when it didn't work, I had to have a look and the last number is 19 and this number is nowhere near my last number which I chose to be 12 or 13 as that is the largest anomaly on the dial.

I rotated the dial 3 turns to the right and stopped at zero then turned to the left until the first binding between 8 and 10 so the first number is 9. 11.5 and 13.5. 25 and 27. 28 and 30. 38 and zero.

So my list is 9, 12, 26, 29 and 39.

I'm probably just holding my tongue wrong as a new cracker but no matter how many times I turn and reset the dial, I get no feel at all at 19. There is nothing from 13.5 to 25.

Any help appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut viam inveniam aut ipse viam faciam
"I shall either find a way, or make a way myself."

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.” ― George Bernard Shaw
<<

torontosafecracker

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: Problems cracking my first combination lock!

The wheel felt on those locks, is usually the last number. When you turn the dial right and land on 0, you have parked all the wheels at 0, when you then turn left (I presume) you are now turning the last wheel (which is also the drive wheel) when you approach a number from the left instead of right the number will be different.

The largest space is usually the drive wheel (last wheel) , you won't feel the gate, only the edges of the gate. in fact, the space (gate) on the last wheel is what you are noticing.

I hope this makes sense.The fact the numbers are so far apart, is telling you there is a big gap there. (true gates are usually wider on cheaper locks) Some people actual measure the upward movement of the shackle to find the gates, some try every combo, some even have systems in place to eliminate some numbers.

edit: They usually make the last number (last wheel or driver) the largest, so that is all you will feel (19) in this case. To get the other numbers, you must eliminate the others, or find a way of measuring or testing the wheel pack by pulling the shackle. The other numbers are not the combination numbers, I mean they could be, but what you are feeling is the other false gates. One is true.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:15 pm

Re: Problems cracking my first combination lock!

The method you're trying is a good one to get familiar with just to have in your back pocket.
There's a couple other methods I prefer, and seem to be more consistent than that one.

It's good to have several different approaches. There's the method you're experimenting
with now (which is fairly sound). Some of them can actually be manipulated. And then,
just as Josh mentioned, there's the systematic approach. This can be quite fast!
Often times, I find myself using a mixture of them in order to open a lock.

A good book for the systematic approach is "Opening Combination Padlocks - No tools, No problem"
If you find you enjoy combination padlocks, it's worth a look! You can find it ebay for just under $10.

False gates; American locks have 10 gates (9 false). Master Locks normally have 12 (11 false).
You'll find many of the older locks have no false gates at all. But can still put up quite a fight : )
I've played with Master Locks, and I've played Fortress... but never one that has BOTH names.
So, I'm not real sure with that one. I suppose it's possible that it does only have five false gates.

You could try a few things to see if you can catch any more though. Instead of parking wheels 1&2
@ zero, like you did, try parking them at 30, 20, and 10 (quarter turns from where you were). This
might allow you to feel more of wheel 3 (drive cam). Also, try all 3 wheels together. AWR and AWL.

edit: the book is by Carl Black
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks