FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My Thrift Store Safe

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:22 pm

My Thrift Store Safe

Picked up a safe at a thrift store today.

It was a mother to manipulate, but got it open. Think it was blind luck. It is a heavy mother too, for the size. 13.75"x13.75"x7.33" (34.9cm x 34.9cm x 18.6cm) and how heavy?

150.8 pounds (68.55 kg) according to my bathroom scale. :shock:

Group 2 Mosler 302. Manipulated open at 66-32-78. Once open, found the hand change settings were 74-32-79.

Not too bad for $30 USD. :mrgreen:

Question for those who have manipulated Mosler locks before - is it normal for this lock to feel heavier drag as each wheel is picked up? Took it apart and cleaned the wheels, but still feel the added drag with each wheel. Any suggestions?

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:22 pm

Re: My Thrift Store Safe

NICE SCORE!!
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?
I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:30 pm

Nice Gordon, you too got a good deal on a safe! is that a hand change dial?
<<

Altashot

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:12 pm

From my experience, Gordon, they do feel heavier as each wheel is picked up, totally normal.

Nice score! And at a thrift store! $30.00 is a steal! Of course the store probably figured it'd sit there forever if they asked too much for it, due to the extra expense one would have to go through to get it opened...
...Obviously not a problem for you!

Nice open up!

It concerns me a little though that there is discrepancy between how it is set and how it actually opens, something's wrong.

M.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:20 pm

Exciting stuff.... very exciting :spinning:
Great find, and GREAT manipulating Gordon.
And $30?!... Sooo jealous. Usually pay around that for just the lock.

GWiens2001 wrote:...Manipulated open at 66-32-78. Once open, found the hand change settings were 74-32-79.
Yeah, somethin' doesn't seem right there. Have you figured out what's goin' on?
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

LockManipulator

Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:25 pm

Wow! O.O Guess who's paying regular visits to the thrift store from now on XD
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:29 pm

Remember to ASK! They had this safe for almost three years, and never put it out. Too heavy to move, and no combo. If I had not asked, never would have found it.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

LockManipulator

Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:34 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Remember to ASK! They had this safe for almost three years, and never put it out. Too heavy to move, and no combo. If I had not asked, never would have found it.

Gordon

Thanks for the tip! Hopefully I'll be able to find a place with one!
<<

Squelchtone

Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:23 pm

So jealous, but so happy for you right now, that is awesome! =) :drool: very nice job manipulating a well made lock. :hbg:

Squelchtone
<<

CPT1911

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:46 am

Wow, awesome find! :smile:

I've found the my key change Mosler 302 contact points to be a little mushy feeling--I believe this is from the friction plug as discussed before....not as easy to ready precisely for me. DId you find this to be true on your Mosler? How do the hand change internals differ from key change?

Thankfully, at least on mine, the CR drops by 0.3-0.4 at a gate. Pretty hard to miss even with mushy contact points. Did you find this to be true on your mosler? How much did the RCP change at the gate?

Trevor
<<

Squelchtone

Post Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:58 am

Can someone explain the manipulation proof cam on the click click model? does it just not have the distinct crisp feel of hitting the contact area from the left and right like the well defined valley of an S&G 6730? Can you take all readings from just one side on the Mosler or do you graph both?

Thanks,
Squelchtone
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:51 am

The cam is two pieces, plus the spring. Both pieces stack on/in each other. Each piece has its own valley and section of the nose it contacts, and the valley profiles are the same. The lower section also is pressed on by a large spring loaded ball bearing that partly traps the valley, allowing the upper section continue to move until the tension from the spring between the cam sections overcomes the ball bearing tension. Then the cam clicks as it is freed from the ball bearing, and clicks again as it catches up with the other cam section.

The brass section is attached to the spindle at all times, the other part is kept somewhat in place by the spring between the two parts, except when the bearing acts on it. In the picture below, the bearing is pressing against the cam on the left side.

Note: this is my guess-and-by-golly figuring from taking the lock apart. If someone else here knows better, please post it here so I can learn from your experience!

Gordon
<<

Squelchtone

Post Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:29 pm

Thanks for those pics. Would you say it actually make manipulation very difficult or is it just a minor inconvenience you have to over come with just a little practice and learning what to feel for as compared to a "much easier" 6730?

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks