FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Riyame's antique time locks

<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:31 am

Riyame's antique time locks

Well, Altashot asked for some pics so here they are :P Crappy camera is crappy so these will have to suffice for now.

First up is my less decorated Diebold. It is from approximately 1890 or so. Unfortunately the glass shattered even though it was very well protected on the trip up to me. Thankfully it was not the original glass.

Next up is a very early Yale Triple L. This model was made from 1892 until about 1920 with around 16,000 made. It is one of the easier ones to find. Each movement was individually serial numbered and I have seen ones numbered over 40,000. Mine is very early with 2 numbered 635 and 636. The other was replaced later and is numbered 3495. The case is stamped 665. It is extremely dirty and needs to be cleaned at some point.

Last up is what I believe to be the rarest one I own. From what I have read and pictures I have seen I believe is is a Consolidated Time Lock Co.'s E.J. Wooley Time Lock. This specific version was made between 1886 and 1887 with fewer than 100 thought to have been made. Unfortunately for some unknown reason somebody cut a chunk out of the back corner of the case. This specific one was in the Tommy Minick Collection.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

keymaster1053

Post Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:36 am

Re: Riyame's antique time locks

Awesome locks I must say! The only reason I can think for that 3rd one to have part of the case cut out, is that it needed to fit in a door it wasn't meant to be on. I doubt it was an attempted cutaway, as there is nothing there to view really.
Keymaster
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:43 am

keymaster1053 wrote:Awesome locks I must say! The only reason I can think for that 3rd one to have part of the case cut out, is that it needed to fit in a door it wasn't meant to be on. I doubt it was an attempted cutaway, as there is nothing there to view really.
Keymaster

Yea, that is what I was thinking. It is still unfortunate though :(

<<

Altashot

Post Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:56 pm

Thank you! Nice pictures!

A Diebold sure makes a nice hunk of brass.
I'd love to have the beautifully decorated and original movements of your Diebold...To put in mine... :mrgreen: The screws are in better condition too and it appears that they are of a deeper blue than mine. I wonder if the were chemically oxidized Like guns? Or if they were heated to blue...I know mine were heated. Too bad about the glass but you can just put a piece of 2 or 3mm plate glass, That is all mine has, no bevel or anything and I believe that mine is original, it looks kind of wavy and it is thicker at the bottom than it is at the top, so, really old glass.

That Yale is also a nice piece, I worked on maybe 4 or 5 of those when I worked in "La Belle Province", years ago. I've never seen one Out West. I don't remember any etching on them though.

That last one is really cool too. To view the escapements from the top and how they are perpendicular the the dial face is quite different. I'd like to see the movements of that one. It'd interesting to see how the power transfers from the horizontal to the vertical plane. Nicely decorated, and that hypotrochoid art on the side, for what I can see, it looks a lot like gears around a center pinion.
Nice touch.

Thanks again Riyame for posting these
Really nice.

M.
<<

Riyame

Post Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:18 pm

IIRC original Diebold glass had a frosted logo in one of the bottom corners. I am not sure if all were like that but I have seen some examples with it. I believe that the screws were heated blue, what I have found referenced it that way anyways.

For the Yale I have seen both nickle/chrome plated and normal brass ones both etched and not.

I could get brave and take the movement out for pictures later. The left movement does not want to work correctly. :(

<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:20 am

Beautiful stuff... just beautiful! Thanks for the pictures :D
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks