FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Squelchtone's first successful safe manipulation

<<

Squelchtone

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:46 pm

Squelchtone's first successful safe manipulation

Hi Everybody,

I have been picking pin tumbler locks since 2005, but only became interested in safe locks when I visited Lockmasters for Lockcon 2012 last Summer. I'm only focusing on safe locks this year, and it's been a fun but bumpy ride so far. Some of you who hang out in chat know that a few months ago I tried to manipulate an S&G6700 that was on an AMSEC safe I bought on craigslist with a forgotten combination, but it wasn't giving up it's secrets and I ended up scoping it through the change key hole in order to open it. That was fun and I learned a lot, but it was not very rewarding.

I haven't honestly had much time to practice manipulation all summer, but thanks to Oldfast, LibertyClicks, femurat, Don, and so many others I finally understand the procedure and that's the one thing that always stumped me, the actual x-y-z steps. For a while I could graph All Wheels Left or All Wheels Right and figure out one of the numbers, then I did the tests to figure out which wheel that number was. Since all wheels were being turned and graphed at the same time, it was easy, but I felt like I hit a brick wall every time I went to the next step. I just wasn't sure how to park wheels and dial the smart way so I didn't have to keep dialing the long way of 4L 3R 2L 1R, so I thank all of you who posted your findings, your manipulations and all the cool tips and tricks which in the end helped me find the confidence to turn that dial and open my first safe with an unknown combination.

I like the format Oldfast posts his manipulations in, but I won't try to copy it here. Ok, Im copying the :???: faces he uses for unknown numbers, that always gave me a good chuckle.

I guess I should start by saying that I'm a huge fan of Mosler safes, especially old ones. So pretty much every day, when I find my self on ebay, I search for "Mosler safe" the other week, a seller shows up with a very unique and interesting Mosler safe, unlike anything I had ever seen.

Here is a photo of it:

wait a minute.. Squelchtone, are you stoned? that's a set of old books man, that's not a safe...

but wait...
let's take a closer look..

nope, WTF man, it's just old books, seriously man, I came to see a safe.

ok ok.. check THIS out:

Whaaaaaaaaa? no way! yeah, that's what I said too, how cool is that shit? A factory made Mosler diversion safe made to look like an old set of books. The front doors are not real books, they are cast aluminum which has paper, gold leaf, and material glued to it. There are little spring loaded ball bearings which make sure the doors stay shut, the ball bearings push out into little craters milled into the safe body. The top of the books are painted wood, and the covers are cardboard and some fake leather and brown paint.

I had to have it. The seller had just sold another one just like it which he got at an estate sale, and even though this one was a little more beat up, I decided to make an offer.

$125 dollars and 4 hours total of driving to Schenectady, New York and back, and I was the proud owner.

One problem. No combination! Of course you know that's 50% of the reason I bought this thing.

Here it is with an S&G6730 in front of it so you can get a sense of scale. It is 18 inches wide, 11 inches tall, and 10 inches deep (twss)

The dial made me think this was a Mosler 302 lock, but i was confused because I can't for the life of me tell how old this safe is. 1950's? 1970's? I cannot tell. I just know the Mosler 302 is a more modern lock and this safe felt older.

OK, Graph 1:

I marked it up a little so you can follow along. I started at around midnight, and you'll notice the time written down next to certain times I found out certain information or thought I had a number in the combination.

If you look at the green area, right from the beginning, it looked like 5 was something interesting. I amplified it and sure enough the shape of a gate. Some tests were done to see which wheel it was and it was wheel #1

5 - :???: - :???:

60 to 62.5 also looked like a gate the first time I graphed All Wheels Left, but if you look at the orange box, you can see it was just a low spot, as the amplified section is pretty much a flat line. 27 1/2 and 57 1/2 also looked like something, so I ran through some test combinations but came up empty.

At this point I was happy to at least find 1 number, so I opened a beer and started to watch some TV. Figure I have months and months to open this safe at my own leisure.

After a beer or two and some quality 1am TV programming I found myself back in front of the safe. I didn't want to go to sleep without graphing 5-x-x to see what else was there.

Graph 2:

Since I was dialing L5 on the 1st wheel, I would end up graphing wheel 2 and 3 backwards from 99 to 1, so right in the beginning I saw that 70 had something going on that was worth noting, but then I started to lose hope when the graph started going all over the place from 60 down to 30. It made this big hump, I 've never seen anything like it, and I'm going to say it was a high spot, but anyone who has more experience is welcome to correct me on this assumption.

I also noted that 10 and 30 looked like possible gates, and I marked them with arrows. 70 however looked like the best thing on the whole graph so I ran some tests to see if it was 5 - :???: - 70 or if it was 5 - 70 - :???:

Luckily it was 5 - 70 - :???: so I knew I had to stay awake and just dial 5 - 70 - and then go through 0-99 on the last number and keep turning back to the drop in which I assumed would be near 0 to test if I was on the right number. I was hoping for 5 - 70 - 30 and was sad when the safe did not open, so kept turning the dial and going back to the drop in, when suddenly the fence dropped in and the dial stopped dead at 86.

5- 70 - 40 OPEN!

I was very excited, and totally surprised I got it open on the first attempt. Best 2 hours ever! =) (I don't even know how much time was spent graphing vs. drinking beer and watching tv, so I'm gonna just call it 2 hours.)

This is probably the best part of the whole story:
This isn't just a regular old Made in Ohio Mosler. This is a Mosler made by Mosler of Mexico!!! I have a feeling I have a very rare safe here, if anyone knows any history on this model, please get in touch.

There is one interesting thing to note. The lock is not a Mosler 302, nor is it a Mosler 120. It is a generic clone of the S&G 6709. I saw a Meilink safe with this exact lock in a Dave McOmie book, this is where I read it is a copy of the S&G 6709. The wheels are plastic and it is a hand change lock. Reminds me of Oldfast's Vanguard safe with the yellow wheel pack, that is an actual S&G 6709 I believe. You can tell the differences by looking at the Zamak casting in the lock case. There is a number on the lever fence assembly, but I cannot find it using google, so I am not sure who made this lock for Mosler of Mexico.

I hope you enjoyed reading about my cool new safe and enjoyed the photos as well, I'm a happy camper right now and looking forward to more practice on other safes and mounted safe locks.

:D
Squelchtone
Last edited by Squelchtone on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:49 pm

Re: Squelchtone's first successful safe manipulation

Excellent story, thanks for posting.

I'm jealous, but congratulate you on your awesome find.

I'm looking forward to getting the safe-manipulation pass-along box soon.
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:19 pm

Squelch, what a great story!
I particulary love the book assembly, looks really real!

Congratulations on your manipulation. From my (VERY) small experience, I guess you did everything spot on. Did you dial the last number in 2 or 1 increments?
Where the wheels that clean when you disassembled? Or the pictures where after "the bath"?

Now for million dollar question: Was he safe empty? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:32 am

Great job Squelchy!

I know you need time to do some things, and was not holding my breath till last time you asked me a question about graphing the second number... but after a few months without news I thought you gave up learning manipulation. I'm happy you proved me wrong. You made it. You opened the safe, and what a unique looking safe!

Did you amplified the area around 70 or just assumed it was the right number? From the graphs I guess you didn't... but you should have done. This is just a suggestion for your future manipulations: make sure you've the right number before graphing the next wheel. It only takes two minutes but can save you from uselessly mapping a whole wheel.

Cheers :)
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:04 am

Squelchtone,

A very hearty congratulations on your first successful manipulation of a safe, and even more so for the unique and beautiful safe! Keep up the great work, and thank you for posting it!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Squelchtone

Post Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:51 am

femurat wrote:Great job Squelchy!

I know you need time to do some things, and was not holding my breath till last time you asked me a question about graphing the second number... but after a few months without news I thought you gave up learning manipulation. I'm happy you proved me wrong. You made it. You opened the safe, and what a unique looking safe!

Did you amplified the area around 70 or just assumed it was the right number? From the graphs I guess you didn't... but you should have done. This is just a suggestion for your future manipulations: make sure you've the right number before graphing the next wheel. It only takes two minutes but can save you from uselessly mapping a whole wheel.

Cheers :)

Yes, this summer was very very busy, had more things on my plate than I like to. If anyone is wondering, and doesn't follow me on Twitter, I left TOOOL this summer because I am trying to have less and less things that I need to take care of. This gives me more time for me stuff, like learning manipulation =)

You're right, I did not amplify 70, I just went with my gut feeling that it was a real gate, and I did a test of 5-90-70 and 5-70-90 and when the reading was 9.2 versus the reading of 9.5 which many of the readings were, I said, man, that's too low to not be a gate.

[EDIT: Another thing I just thought of, I did not graph the other contact because it did not indicate very well as compared to the one I did. I want to call the one I graphed the Right one, but I'm not sure what the consensus is on which is Left and Right contact when looking at the dial. ]

I will say that I was hoping and working under the assumption that people are lazy and predictable, and either this thing was going to have a factory combination, or set by a person who liked 0's and 5's so when the first number indicated 5 instead of something like 12 or 27 or 73, I thought there's a good change the other numbers are going to end in 5 or 0's. Sure enough, they did. I suppose this adds a level of strategy to the art of safe manipulation. Trying to figure out what would the next possible number be if I were the one picking a combination and I knew 1 or 2 of the numbers. If I saw the first and second numbers were 25 and 50, you know I'm going to try 75 as the 3rd number. In fact, I did try common factory combinations first, 25-50-25, 10-20-30, 40-60-80, 25-50-75, 18-36-72 etc. Only takes a few minutes to try, but could save you an hour of graphing. I do agree with you though that while graphing already, I should have amplified the 70, I'm going to graph it later today just to see if it is a nice gate shape like the 5 is.

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone!
Squelchtone
Last edited by Squelchtone on Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:06 am

I googled Mosler de Mexico hoping to see this safe and any other examples, there was no automatic images page on the first search page, so I clicked images, and didn't find it there either, but some other interesting stuff, oddest collection of unrelated images I have ever seen on google.
<<

keymaster1053

Post Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:56 am

Awesome Job Squelch! should we phone Dave McOmie and tell him you are looking for a job? :D
Jim.
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:21 pm

FantAstic job Squelch!!! Well done. And what a beautiful find!

Oh what I wouldn't give to have been there when you felt that fence drop in. HA! :spinning:

Ya gotta love it when wheel 1 reads first. Makes for less movements.
I call it the rotisserie of the wheel pack... you can "set it & forget it". lol

Nice definitive variations within the graphs for this one...
due in part to your light & consistent touch I'm sure.

Great job, very exciting, and thanks so much for sharing!
p.s. I'll post some pics of a Mosler soon. Think you'll like it.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Libertyclicks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:34 pm

Congratulations Squelch! Great job!

That one came together great for you, looks like you are really getting the hang of it.
If you come to Canada I could use a hand with a few. :mrgreen:

LC
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:27 pm

Very cool safe. Right out of the old movies hidden in books. Great job on getting that open. Seen that wheel pack many times never seen that safe. Like to have one myself, nice find!!!!

Richard
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:38 pm

VERY COOL STORY! That wheel pack looks like a standard Mosler 302/402 hand change. The lock body is definately not. I have seen one very simular , if memory serves, on a Mosler round door container. If it is a bit more compact than a 302/402 then I believe that's it. What a find, do you know what the first one sold for?
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:19 pm

Great work Squelch, what a feeling I bet that was when she opened!

And that safe has to be one of the coolest thing I have ever seen! Awesome find mate.
<<

Squelchtone

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:58 am

mastersmith wrote:VERY COOL STORY! That wheel pack looks like a standard Mosler 302/402 hand change. The lock body is definately not. I have seen one very simular , if memory serves, on a Mosler round door container. If it is a bit more compact than a 302/402 then I believe that's it. What a find, do you know what the first one sold for?

sold for $155 I believe, and was in much better condition. If on a scale of 1 to 10 my safe is a 5, the other one was an 9. I would have purchased both had I found it a few days sooner.

Thanks to everyone for the nice replies. I've had one hell of a September and not that it's October I'm finally coming up for some air.

Wait till you see what I just got in the mail.

It's a Murphy door bed company wall safe! With the most interesting dialing procedure you've ever seen, and no combination provided, so I have my work cut out for me.

Here is the auction where I found it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1922-Th ... 7675.l2557

more to come soon!
Squelchtone
<<

Oldfast

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:16 pm

hmmm.... interesting find. Hope to see more. Like the inside maybe :)
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks