FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

LC on manipulation tour: Demolition Yard (pics)

<<

Squelchtone

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:18 pm

Re: LC on manipulation tour: Demolition Yard (pics)

oooooof this last set of images is too huge, my browser is crawling right now trying to load and display them as I scroll. not to complain though, I love this thread.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:53 pm

hmmm. Interesting box and the fact that it wouldn't open after picked in either direction.
Did the plug come to a solid stop after a 1/4 turn in either direction? If so,
did you try pushing the door in to see if it would allow you to turn any farther?

p.s. That Chubb safe is fantastic! (Still jealous of your playground ya got there) lol
But still very happy and excited for you at the same time. Keep those pics comin'!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Libertyclicks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:46 pm

Squelchtone wrote:oooooof this last set of images is too huge, my browser is crawling right now trying to load and display them as I scroll. not to complain though, I love this thread.

Yeah.... I'm sorry about that. My pc is hooked to a 42" tv and sometimes I forget that the image is huge and I'm zoomed waaaayyy out. I'll work on fixing that Squelch.
EDIT: I cut all the pictures down to half size or less, I hope that's better. Thanks for letting me know regardless.
I'm glad you're liking the thread, I don't know when I'll be back there again.
The client was none too pleased that I didn't crack anything yet, and again we argued about money, which I didn't really care about, but was hoping to cover my gas driving up there a few times and I did recover 3 combos and change 1 combo for them... I don't know, anyway I think my welcome is officially overstayed. Maybe later this year when the weather is nice I'll go back.
I'd like to take the motorcycle up there with my old graphs, trusty bic pen, and earbuds to have at it again.
There will be some more graphs that I did on day 3 and that's all for now folks.
LibertyClicks
<<

Libertyclicks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:06 pm

ATM Cash Safe

So back on day 1 the client tells me he doesn't really care about this lock and several employees there indicated it was damaged and I shouldn't worry about it. Today as I am leaving the client makes a POINT of mentioning how I didn't succeed at cracking the ATM.... Well maybe if I had tried for crying out loud...
I took one hasty graph to see if it was do able...
Seems doable. This is the next graph I would do if I am ever fortunate enough to return.
Cheers -LC
<<

Squelchtone

Post Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:33 pm

This scrap yard owner doesn't seem at all grateful that you are there to open 9 or 10 containers for them and probably for a very fair price. Tell him this isn't the movies, you don't open 10 safes in 10 minutes. I'd probably lose my cool at this point, but I guess it depends on if you introduced yourself as a student/apprentice who is just learning or as a working locksmith with years of safe experience there on a call out.

Something tells me Brits are more polite and better at biting their tongue than Americans, but the scrap yard owner doesn't sound much different than the typical American junk yard guys I've run across in my travels for a replacement door handle or side mirror.

Cheers,
Squelchtone
<<

Libertyclicks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:51 pm

Thanks Squelch. The problems began on day 1. I thought we had an understanding but he thought different.
basically the deal now is I need permission from him to go there and practice , and my opinion is if I open anything else, then I will offer to sell the combo to him. No more contracts or deals or trades or anything.
Anyway, I won't even try for another week or so at least.

He's not a bad guy I think, but I felt hurt at the time like he was putting my ego right in his sights for no reason.
So still more graphs to come regarding my nemesis the brown taylor.
-LC
<<

Libertyclicks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:00 pm

Oldfast wrote:hmmm. Interesting box and the fact that it wouldn't open after picked in either direction.
Did the plug come to a solid stop after a 1/4 turn in either direction? If so,
did you try pushing the door in to see if it would allow you to turn any farther?

Yeah the plug picked to the right turned a bit more than 1/4 then stopped. I didn't try pushing the door in to rotate it further ... at least I don't think I did. It's worth a shot when I'm back there.
<<

Libertyclicks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:46 pm

Brown Taylor Safe

So , just like the other days I've worked on this safe, this day I doubted EVERYTHING I did previously and did a quick (maybe too quick) AWL graph. Came up with the same 3 numbers I've been working all along.
Ok numbers 39.5L 88.5 L 65 L
I make a list of possible combos with these numbers, but I appreciate I must adjust anything on wheel 2 for right rotation conversion. I believe I need to dial beyond by 6 digits, then I recall the drive pins on this taylor are fixed, so they need to be dialed 6 less.
I try a bunch of combos, and I decided to read the contacts to see if I am getting the right direction or not. It seems not as nothing is really consistent. I notice now that the readings were getting tight with wheel 2 on a high number, which coincides with my graph reading better with w2 on a high number (100) but it's likely just cause the wheel is a weird shape.
I graph wheel 3 alone as it seems to work most of the time. I arbitrarily set w1 and w2 at 100. I get an area of interest around 40, and one around 20. I amp both and see I made a mistake in reading around 20, 40 is legit. I have to be careful here not to let my previous understanding of this lock confuse me or bias me.
I started amping something weird around 80, but my fingers were like ice so I went inside.
When I go inside to warm up I usually make a coffee and sit with my graphs and make little mental notes to myself about trends that I see. In this case I see over and over 40 on wheel 3. OK fine, it's on w3 , better move on with my life and do some more graphing.

I set wheel 3 to 40 and go about graphing wheel 2. What perplexes me is that my readings are getting worse now with w2 around. When I had w1 and w2 at 100 I came up with graphs where a GOOD reading was 20 and 1/4. Here on w2 a good reading is 20 and 5/8... Seems like I'm getting further away not closer, now I never did figure out what shape the wheels were so let's look at the w3 graph ....Hmmm w3 looks round.
I can see how not graphing the LCP's the first 2 days was tripping me up. Often the graph takes a dive on the RCP, but the other point also takes a dive. If I had been graphing both I would have seen this.
There was something weird around 82 - 86 on that LCP, but other than that this graph is normal. I amped and found a slight low but nothing I'm really proud of...

I made myself a little note for what to do next when I return.
I'd like to try a few test combos with the numbers I have, but I have all ready checked most of them with no luck. Even got liberal with the rotation conversion in both directions and didn't get it open.
The readings were nice with w2 at 100, so maybe I can try a few readings with wheel 2 at 90-13 and see if anything shows a gate. I only need one more solid gate I think to roll with to get her open, but my data is all full of holes and confusion.

That's all for actual wild safes for now. I'm going back to my practice lock and literature for a while until I get pretty good at this whole process. Once I stop making errors reading wheel 2, and I can get hi lo rotation conversion without doing the math long hand then I will let myself go back and try more.

As always, please leave your comments, questions, theories, personal beliefs, and generally tell me how your day is going .
Thanks,
LibertyClicks
<<

torontosafecracker

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:52 am

Libertyclicks wrote:
Meilink with Sargent and Greenleaf 6700 series lock

meilink 1.jpg

The client returned and I told him I have the combo. He now wants the combo changed, yeah well I don't have the tool, oh well I'm a handy guy I'll make one.
change key homemade.jpg

An hour with a medium allen key and a grinder and voila, a shitty combo change key. I'm sorry to everyone who is reading this and crying. The combo change key didn't work very well and could have damaged the safe but it didn't I got lucky. After I used it to set his combo, wheel number 2 didn't relock completely and was spinning limply just by adjacent wheel friction in the wheel pack. I had to take the lock apart after that and use a screw driver to relock wheel 2. Don't tell anyone but I may have ruined that wheel forever by using my sketchy equipment. The good news, I put it all back together and the new combo worked, I tested it and then closed and locked the safe. I was pretty nervous that wheel 2 could break at any time and then I would have really screwed this safe up. All was well, the combo worked and I taught the client how to open it. He was coming around to me now.

I had to replace that lock, I took it home and rebuilt it. No more homemade change keys...lol
:hammerodeath:

Josh ..

I joke . Take no offense.
<<

Libertyclicks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:09 pm

I had to replace that lock, I took it home and rebuilt it. No more homemade change keys...lol

Josh ..

You seem to be everywhere I've been Josh. Do you do this for work?

LC
<<

torontosafecracker

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:13 pm

Libertyclicks wrote:

Josh ..

You seem to be everywhere I've been Josh. Do you do this for work?

LC

I kid, Although I have worked on some of that previous clients safes (the hoarder) that looks like it was changed improperly.
So that's why I said that...lol

Yes, I do. It seems we are often down the same path, hope to see you in chat one day soon.

Josh
Previous

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks