FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

LC Manipulation 3: Roleplaying w/pic

<<

Libertyclicks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:37 pm

LC Manipulation 3: Roleplaying w/pic

After my last run on my LaGard 3330 it mysteriously malfunctioned when changing the combo to a new one. A loud snap was heard from the case and the dial would not turn anymore. Oh well, I wanted to take this thing apart anyway. :drool:
2013-03-06_18-46-34_792.jpg

There it is, laid out for inspection. I cleaned everything and reassembled and it would function, but the tension was so high changing the combo that the flys would jump out of the grooves when trying to dial. Something is wrong here. In the end I used thinner spacers between wheels and a control wheel bearing from work on the bottom of the wheel pack to adjust the spacing. Having it apart makes it clear this lock was cobbled from parts and mounted to play with so it wasn't useless. I went to seek some information on safe dials that are in operation and what they actual feel like at a local bank. Which lead to manipulation number 3.

A teller at a local bank trusts me and had a chat with me about the combination locks on their vaults. Their two vaults have 2 locks each. Half the employees know the top, half know the bottom, and they are on timers to open for about 3 hours each day . I assume morning or evening. She said she doesn't know what kind of locks they are even after I offered the common names to jog her memory.

I showed her my LaGard and asked her if it was accurate feeling (since it is cobbled). She said it felt *just* like the one at her work. So to me that means close enough for government work.
I asked her to set a combination for me and I was going to crack it. She said she had seen it in movies, and asked if I had a stethoscope and a drill. "No need." She setup a combo and said "If you can crack that, you will have the top combos to our bank." She seemed to not believe it was possible, and since her bank has a whole other set of combos she didn't see the risk.
2013-03-11_01-11-31_851.jpg

I set my personal best to open this one, though it was still almost two hours. I had one of the numbers in minutes right in front of her eyes and a few minutes after that placed it on wheel 3. I did go down the wrong path since I put it down for a day and returned to it. Didn't know where to pick up again as I didn't make any graphs or logical order to my work, but it read as simply as it could have. AWL, one indication, Hi Lo, W1 and W3 in that gate, W2 around to the first hint of indication. W2 on gate, W3 on gate, W1 around 2.5 increments. 7 combos for W1 and open.
It was pretty comical when I was just finishing wheel 1. The bolt was shimmying back and forth a little every time I tested the drop in point, like it might just slide open with drive cam friction or something.
This is the closest I'll come to spinning dials on a real vault, so it was really fun for me.
My goal for next time around: Complete the whole thing in one sitting, regardless of the time.

LibertyClicks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

psykro

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: LC Manipulation 3: Roleplaying w/pic

cool LC, but would you speak english please? : ]
<<

Libertyclicks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:44 pm

Umm Hahaha.
Translation: Manipulation is fun. More fun when it impresses females.
Thanks for commenting psykro.
LC
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:29 am

Nice work! After your adventures with that LaGard, I really do think you're gonna find
a fair majority of the group 2 S&G's to be pretty straight forward. Consistant contact
readings and pretty distinct gates (usually).

I'm still experimenting & struggling a bit with mine. I've figured out how to approach
the contact point for consistant readings, but still dealing with a shadowing affect.
It's all good though... it's usually struggles like these that bring me to a new level.

You're doin' great man... keep up the good work... and please keep sharing it!
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Libertyclicks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:54 am

Thank you very much. After the last one being so painful and then breaking my lock my spirit was decreased a little. This one was lots of fun and went pretty quick so I certainly have renewed faith.
LC
<<

Snader

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:02 pm

Ha ha, nice story :D

That last bit reminded me of a few years ago
Libertyclicks wrote:It was pretty comical when I was just finishing wheel 1. The bolt was shimmying back and forth a little every time I tested the drop in point, like it might just slide open with drive cam friction or something.
This is the closest I'll come to spinning dials on a real vault, so it was really fun for me.
LibertyClicks

Was showing somebody how to manipulate a mech combination safe lock on a convention, there were three of us at the table and at some point the guy was testing his contact point and all three of us saw the locking bolt retract and extend as he was testing his contact points...
The lock was open, he had manipulated it.. he just didnt realise it and gave up :kickyoass:
<<

Libertyclicks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:18 pm

Snader wrote:the guy was testing his contact point and all three of us saw the locking bolt retract and extend as he was testing his contact points...

Hahaha! That's some heavy handed manip. Oh well, beginners make mistakes lots. (That's what I keep telling myself!) -LC
<<

TheAdvancedNoob

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:01 pm

I'm a beginner and never manipulated a safe, but I've been on here almost all day reading. Could someone refer me to some types of locks I should try and more stuff I can read. Thanks, Allen
<<

LockManipulator

Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:45 pm

Wait, so what type of locks are generally used on bank vaults? 3330's??

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks