FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

First Manipulation

<<

Libertyclicks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:42 pm

Re: First Manipulation

Squelchtone wrote:Libertyclicks,
You're an inspiration to us all.

You are too kind good sir, I took inspiration and interest from others before me and I hope I can teach and learn as I go.

The one on the stand, my friend had set his birthday 11-20-79 which he ended up telling me after an hour of spinning the dial, I told him 20 was the last number, it turns out it was the middle number, but I thought the 3rd number on a 6730 always indicated first. I had taken this for granted, but now I'll be much more careful in doing the x-y-y, y-x-y, y-y-x test to see which wheel is indicating when I do the initial All Wheels Left.

My first few rounds of these tests gave me no solid info whatsoever and I made up a new test to find which wheel my number was on. Message me for more info on that. That being said, those tests seemed to work for me on my current attempt but I won't know for sure until I open it.

I will say that I only read the Left contact point (to save time) 12.8 in my case, I consider 4.8 the Right contact because I can feel it when turning the wheel right (please correct me if I have this backwards)

I also found after my first readings even when I knew the combo that one area gave me a LOT more meaningful feedback so I've started doing the same thing. The one seems to be pretty consistent so I felt like measuring it was a waste, now that being said, I've made errors by disregarding it and if time were no object then I would chart them as painstakingly as possible.
I've made some errors in my terminology, but I think you have your nomenclature correct. When I measure I would call the high number right, but I think I'm actually referring to left contact according to the OldFast chronicles, or as I like to call it, the "Oldfast Testament"...
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=7432
that page lists the terminology he uses, I'm gonna try to use the same for now cause I hope to talk with him more about this when there is time.

..... Literally just as I type this I think I realize what I've done wrong in my current manipulation and now I must excuse myself to pull the back plate and see what's happening when I turn like so.....
Nope, nevermind I had it right.

I hope to post photos of my first successful manipulation in the near future, thank you for motivating all of us who are just starting out,
Squelchtone

Good luck, feel free to message with ideas, queries, confusions, raw data, wild and crazy ideas, etc.
I look forward to seeing your photos and your first opening post. :hbg:
LC
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:21 am

Referring to contact points; Certainly, the most important thing is to adopt a view that makes sense to you while manipulating.
But yeah, the problems start when we talk amongst ourselves. It can be confusing depending on what literature you learned on.

Two of the most prominent writings on the topic of safe manipulation have opposing views when referring to contact points.

You guys are referring to the contact points just as Matt Blaze does in his paper "Safecracking for the Computer Scientist".
In this article, the drive cam is viewed from the back of the lock (as if you had the door open & the lock cover off)

My view is just the opposite and would coincide with the book "The National Locksmiths guide to Manipulation".
So here you're looking from the outside of the safe, in. I visualize the drive cam as if I can see 'through' the dial.
So the more gradually sloped side of the drive cam gate... the one that gives you the most diverse readings;
you guys call it the left. I refer to it as the right. I turn the dial left (CCW) in order to touch the "right" CP.

......so who's on 1st?! lol

Libertyclicks wrote:[....according to the OldFast chronicles, or as I like to call it, the "Oldfast Testament"....
HA! Thanks buddy... that made me laugh this morning. Started the day with a smile :D
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Oldfast wrote:.....so who's on 1st?! lol

That's right, he sure is! :mrgreen:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Josephus

Post Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:57 pm

Libertyclicks wrote:So she gave me a nice easy one, Big deal! It's my first time after all. :cool:

LibertyClicks

Still counts!

God I'm jealous. Permutation locks I look on with a mix of lust and hatred. I have popped a couple consumer safes through trickery, that is just a cheap thrill compared to what you are doing. The skill of manipulation is an amazing thing.
Previous

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks