FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

"safeguard" safe with LaGard dial

<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:02 pm

"safeguard" safe with LaGard dial

This is a safe I bought today for $5 because the owner lost the combo. Fortunately the door was open!

Here's inside the door:

That sheet metal piece on the back of the lock itself is a device to hold the relocker in! Classy eh?
I'd guess if you try to smash the dial off and knock the lock off, that's what activates the relocker.

Any idea where I could buy a change key for this lock? it has a hole that's half round with 2 corners. kind of a half moon shape. I changed the combo on an S&G lock before, so I know how it's done, just don't have a tool for this one.
<<

Squelchtone

Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: "safeguard" safe with LaGard dial

I'm very jealous you got that for such a good price! I wish I had more stuff like that on my local craiglist or mouth to mouth. That's a great size safe for practice, you can even put other locks on it and its a more realistic practice stand.

That's gonna need a LaGard 3330 change key, ebay for $10 us the usual route, unless you can source it from another locksmith website. Some dude on ebay has like 5 change keys on ebay now for $20 bucks.

hope that helps,
Squelchtone
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:18 pm

FIVE BUCKS?!

Niiiiiiiice :yep:
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

PhoneMan

Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:53 pm

I find some good deals at my local Habitat For Humanity ReStore! (I volunteer there)
This came from a store at the local mall, the lady told me no one knew the combo but the door was open. (If it had been closed I wouldn't have messed with it)
Hoping to teach myself manipulation and whatnot with it. (found a PDF called "safe opening for computer programmers" or something like that. Need to find more)

I'm pretty pleased with it myself, as I've always loved combination locks and anything that uses codes to open. Hell, the LaGard 3330 alone sells for like $125-$150!

Anyone know about the manufacturer? Found a website but none of the models look like this one. Are they good safes?
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:33 am

Very nice deal!

~Notices the open Abloy 3020 hanging in the upper right of the first picture~ :lol:
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Squelchtone

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:14 am

PhoneMan wrote:
Anyone know about the manufacturer? Found a website but none of the models look like this one. Are they good safes?

In my quest to learn about safes and locks, I have sadly found that many safe bodies are made in Korea (not that I really mind, they still feel solid), imported into the US, and then small time outfits or locksmith shops who deal with safes put a sticker on it and brand it as their own.

Even bigger names like Gardall that does make a lot of safes in the USA has a line of their more economical microwave shaped safes that are known as "import safes"

I bought some safes in New York City and they were branded Empire Safe (a NYC locksmith shop) and then I noticed some other places selling the same exact style and color as their own, and I turned one over and there I found the Made in Korea sticker. At least they have real S&G locks that are made in Kentucky, that made me feel better.

I still can't imagine how much it must cost to bring over a shipping container full of safes, wouldn't it just be cheaper to make it in the states??

I think I'm off to the Habitat store later today!

Squelchtone
<<

PhoneMan

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:49 am

Riame, that's a Master 175 on the pegboard. (There's another below it with a longer shackle) My only Abloy padlock is on the other side of the room on my "lock rack", an old retail display stand for keychains.
(A lot of interesting things hanging around my workbench)
And the safe does say "made in China" on the back of it, but it is still some solid 1/2" steel!
And I can only imagine a shipping container of safes, even smaller ones would weigh a LOT!
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:52 am

PM me with your address and I'll send you a change key for that LaGard lock.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

PhoneMan

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:37 pm

magician59 wrote:PM me with your address and I'll send you a change key for that LaGard lock.

PM sent. This community on here has been quite helpful and supportive to a noob like me! Thanks all!
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:50 pm

WOwOoo $5.00 great buy.. thanks for the photos
<<

PhoneMan

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:35 pm

No problem Ringo, glad you liked em. Thrift store finds can really be good deals!

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks