FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Antique safe identification?

<<

Cooper

Familiar Face

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:03 pm

Antique safe identification?

So I am trying to get more information on this safe. It was clearly the result of some sort of attack at one point but I am not sure from what? It is also missing the door so I am hoping someone around here might have some ideas on the manufacturer despite that lack of a door.

Here is a link that explains more and has plenty of pictures. Happy to hear any and all input. Thanks!

http://the-boxman.com/mystery-safe/
<<

Squelchtone

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:22 pm

Re: Antique safe identification?

Your safe is a Mosler from around 1900-1907. The jewler's safe door is missing as well, that's a shame. This thing looks like it's been at the bottom of a lake for 50 years.

It is also currently upside down.

Should look like this:

If I find more info I'll add it.

Squelchtone
<<

Cooper

Familiar Face

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:30 pm

Awesome! Thanks very much! Any thoughts on the damage?

Also....the photo you have there. Is that safe converted into some sort of liqueur cabinet?

P.S. I believe it is displayed that way knowingly. The damage to the rear right sort of dictates that. I will verify that with the owner just to be sure though.
<<

Squelchtone

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:54 pm

So it's apparently called a 7 step triangle door Mosler, as told here, where I found that photo: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Antique-Safes-3774/2011/2/Mosler-Floor-Safe.htm

As for the damage, it just looks like someone found it all rusty, the outside metal partially gone to nature exposed the fire proofing and someone used hand tools to beat on it. The different layers suggest what is commonly known in geology as cleavage. Slate and Shale are known to display this quality, and I suppose layers of concrete fireproofing that cooled at different stages might also break apart cleanly like in the photos, but I'm only guessing here.

Maybe someone else will have other ideas,
Squelchtone
<<

Cooper

Familiar Face

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:10 pm

Thanks again. That is kind of what I was thinking(Physical attack combined with age and rust) It is being displayed as a safe that was "Blown up" but the more I looked at the damage the more I doubted that.

I am still curious about the front of the safe. The bowing on the inside and the hole in the side that corresponds to the gut box? I'll wait for a few more thoughts and then let you guys know a bit more about the safe. I don't want to accidentally influence opinions too much. :smile:
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:49 pm

Squelchtone, the depth of your knowledge still floors me on occasion.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Squelchtone

Post Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:14 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Squelchtone, the depth of your knowledge still floors me on occasion.

Gordon

I don't know a lot, I just Google really well. =) But it seems every time I google something, a bit of that new found knowledge rubs off. I'm happy to learn new things about locks and locksmithing every day!

Thanks for the kind words,
Squelchtone

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks