FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

unwanted holes

<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:55 am

unwanted holes

DSCF2211.JPG
How to get rid of those holes in casings & safes,not good on tutorials so ive posted pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 10ringo10 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:59 am

Re: unwanted holes

Thanks for sharing!!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:23 am

And to find such holes, you tap the surface with a small ballpeen hammer, use the ball end. an even smaller such hammer can find capped holes in brushed brass padlocks, these holes are typically found over the pin drillings on the edge of the padlock, a larger one is higher on that edge where the locking dogs were installed,
these hole caps can often be seen if the brass that plugs the holes is of a different alloy mix (brass has between fourty to 60 percent copper and the majority of the rest is zinc.
sometimes bronze (90percent copper 10 percent tin) is mistaken for brass

brushing or filing the surface makes these visible caps dissapear until knocking about or corrosion reveals them

when a surface is tapped, it is then examined for tiny lines in perfect circles that are revealed by slightly sinking the surface.

on safes with filled holes is tapped these lines might occur if the threaded rod is at the surface and only hidden by grinding and painting,

when the lead is on the surface the peen will leave a distinct mark that cannot be made in the harder metal.
such marks reveal where a safe has been drilled to open and thus reveal where this can again be done but easier since the hardened metal is now gone. the mark will be positioned for aligning wheel gates.

wheel gates are now commonly aligned by use of a borescope, but before borescopes were widely available a wire was fished in to feel the gates and align them.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:58 pm

I normally use the wire wheel on my bench grinder to clean years of 'crap' off brass padlocks so I can find the caps.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:07 pm

Good write up rai ..thanks
on old safes the back box that holds the bolt works is tapped and bolted threw the 1/4 inch door plate and filled, by checking for marks as rai suggested these can be located and useing the right tool can possibly be removed while the safe is locked up.
i will have a look later and try and find a pic
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:29 pm

yeh.. heres a good example have a look at the door see the 4 bolt holes present...... really old safes admin (Mod Power)

food for thought guys if you need to open an old antique safe and the locks seized up....very good point rai buddy
The handle would be a problem if its the bolt type spindle, but alot have screw on type from that period real easy to spot. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

pin_pusher

Familiar Face

Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:02 pm

i'm getting into safe work myself as of recent. this is an invaluable tutorial. thanks for the post.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks