FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Tear Gas in Safes Vaults.. Urban Legend or ???

<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:57 pm

Re: Tear Gas in Safes Vaults.. Urban Legend or ???

It's interesting how poorly documented these devices are, especially considering how "exotic" they are.

Just on this forum alone we have several excellent threads with good quality pictures of old safes, safes being opened, disassembled and reconditioned. Considering how unusual these tear gas anti-tamper devices are, I'm surprised that we haven't had more safe and vault technicians who have photographically documented any encounters with these. Not just here, but on any forum.

I'd still like to see pics of one still attached to a vault in use, in the field, if anyone runs across any pictures of one, or has an opportunity to take such pictures themselves.
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:20 pm

Here are a couple of pictures a tear gas tube and housing I removed several years ago from a safe my brother-in-law had purchased. When he purchased it it was locked in the open position and I had to go out and unlock it and reset the combination. Imagine my surprise when I removed the inner door panel and found this. I can't remember anymore what brand the safe was and he sold it a while back so I can't go out and take any pictures. That pin in the center of the top picture came through the housing from the inside and was tight up to the back of the lock housing. I'm not sure of just what is used for the packing, it's not cotton, fiberglass or asbestos, but some kind of synthetic . The housing is aluminum and the vial looks to be made from pretty thin glass tubing. Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It never fails - as soon as I find the key to success, somebody changes the lock!"
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:06 pm

Thank you for the pics. That is actually quite neat :hbg:
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Spyder

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:16 pm

so..... what did you do with it after you removed it? (i know i'm not the only one wondering..)
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:24 pm

I still have it, actually it's in my basement in one of bench drawers. I just pulled it out tonight to take the pictures. I always figured someday I'de find some sinister use for it, or not. Mark
"It never fails - as soon as I find the key to success, somebody changes the lock!"
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:34 am

Very cool!! Thank you Mark :)
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:58 am

oldbiscuit wrote:I still have it, actually it's in my basement in one of bench drawers. I just pulled it out tonight to take the pictures. I always figured someday I'de find some sinister use for it, or not. Mark

How about adding it to the safe pass-around. Then we know if the package was handled gently in transport! :twisted:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Capt_Tom

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:37 am

In the sixties I was a teenager and went with my neighbor to clean out an old building. There was a safe inside, with the back cover missing from the door. There was a device on the back of the lock that contained a vial of tear gas. He was going to trash the safe, so I asked for the tear gas. I thought it to be cool to have. I took it home, wrapped in a dishtowel and put in my drawer. My mother was putting some clothes in the drawer and saw the dishtowel. Upon removing it from the drawer, it un-ravelled and the tube hit the floor. She said that she saw the liquid, and then it was gone. The vapor immediately hit her and she stumbled out of the house, struggling to breath and eyes burning. The fire department was kind enough to loan a ventilation fan which ran for two days before we could go back in. While it was fun staying at a friends river house, it was not fun being on restriction for two weeks.

Later (in the 70's), I went to work for Mosler Safe Company. The third safe that I serviced had the all too familiar vials. I was VERY careful not to repeat the nightmare.

By the way, this is my first post on this site. I only recently discovered it through mention on another site. Looks good!
<<

Oldfast

Post Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:57 am

Haha! Very interesting Tom! And welcome to the forum... I'm Mike.

Not to derail this thread... but how long did you work for the Mosler Safe Company?
<<

Capt_Tom

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:00 pm

Thanks for the welcome. With Mosler about 3 years.....
<<

Oldfast

Post Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:34 pm

Capt_Tom wrote:Thanks for the welcome. With Mosler about 3 years.....

Neat!!
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:21 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:
oldbiscuit wrote:I still have it, actually it's in my basement in one of bench drawers. I just pulled it out tonight to take the pictures. I always figured someday I'de find some sinister use for it, or not. Mark

How about adding it to the safe pass-around. Then we know if the package was handled gently in transport! :twisted:

Gordon

Gordon, I know your only joking, but I wonder how many federal laws I'de be breaking if I was to put this in the US mail? Hell, I'de have all kinds of federal agencies knocking down my door. I'de be on all kinds of terrorist watch lists ( if I'de ever get out of prison).
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:57 pm

Too true. And I would never advocate actually doing such a thing. Just fun to picture the overzealous package handler when he/she drop-kicks that package.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:54 pm

On a side note,not to derail this thread. About 25 years back I was working for a company that made lawn care equipment. One of our customers needed some touch up paint., Not even thinking, I put it in a box and airmailed it to him, OOPS !!! I got a call from the customer a couple of days later telling me how the cans ruptered in the box. There must be lower pressure in the cargo bays of those big jets? Luckily it didn't go off like like a bomb, just blew out the bubber safety plug on the bottom of the aerosol cans and soaked into all the packing material. Mark
<<

Squelchtone

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:44 am

Here's a photo of some tear gas after market safe door vials

From this article:
http://www.timesunion.com/local/article ... oto-495405

Squelchtone
PreviousNext

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks