FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Old in-direct S&G. Tearing down to clean.

<<

AllThingsMechanical

Post Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:04 pm

Old in-direct S&G. Tearing down to clean.

Hey guys. I’m tearing down an old S&G with and indirect geared dial. I’m hoping someone may be able to share some wisdom here. I’ve searched high and low and have not been able to find a lick of info on this lock. I feel like the keyed gear on the dial is tapered. It won’t budge I don’t want to go tapping on it without knowing if I may be harming something I can’t see. I’ve attached a few photos here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:57 am

Re: Old in-direct S&G. Tearing down to clean.

In the current state (top) I would expect that you can screw out the dial if you hold the brass ring on the inside.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

AllThingsMechanical

Post Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:44 am

MartinHewitt wrote:In the current state (top) I would expect that you can screw out the dial if you hold the brass ring on the inside.

Good morning Martin. Thankyou for your response. Yes you are correct. I miss phrased my question. You are correct the the gear does thread on. The obstacle I am facing is when I begin to unthread this gear the dial and center shaft it is fixed to does not begin to lift away from the dial ring and as you can see the door pin hardware is overlapping the gear. So I’m not sure what’s holding the dial in place from pulling out the front. Are you aware of a tapered bushing or snap ring maybe that attaches to the dial on the inside of the door but beneath the drive gear? It may be necessary to remove the door pin hardware in order to remove the dial and lock housing. I’ve removed and cleaned the wheels and spring washers up and it’s still sticky feeling. The next area i need to clean is the dial spindle and the idler gear. Please forgive me if I am completely butchering the individual names of these parts
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:27 am

What you likely have is a burglar proof spindle. There are a few different designs, some are stepped, some are tapered, some just round. Either way you will need to take the lock off and possibly some of the other bolt work to remove a panel to allow the spindle to be removed. The dial might have a cap on the knob portion, hard to say without a picture, they are sometimes press fit and sometimes threaded on, they can be removed and you can take out another spline key to remove the dial and leave the spindle in place.

One example:
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

AllThingsMechanical

Post Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:31 am

This photo helps paint a picture of what I might be up against, Thanks a lot. I do see a seam that my indicate a cap!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:10 am

Yup, try to get a strong pick or a fine tipped screwdriver into the seam to pry it out. From there you will be able to remove either a nut or spline key to remove the dial from the spindle. From there you need to remove the lock and likely a bunch of the bolt work to see if you can get into the door or not to remove the spindle itself. Sometimes there is a panel, sometimes it can be welded into place and impossible to remove.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

AllThingsMechanical

Post Mon May 01, 2023 10:18 am

Awesome. I’ll post more pictures as I get further into it. Thanks for the help.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks