FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Manifoil MkVIII instructions

<<

tom2

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:21 pm

Manifoil MkVIII instructions

Anyone have instructions for a Mk VIII manifoil? Worked as expected using preset code, with first digit on 5th turn, 2nd on 4th, 3rd on 2nd and then 4th (zero) on 2nd, same as Mk IV. Tried to change code and doing same to change mark doesn't work. Lowest disc doesn't align to allow change key right to the bottom of the stack. To get aligned had to do first digit on 6th turn, then rest as normal. But then to unlock needed 6 turns for first digit as well. Moving them all up a turn, i.e 1st digit on 6th turn, 2nd on 5th etc all works, but then the last fixed zero is the odd one out, using 6/5/4 turns, the zero still needs to be on 2nd turn, not 3rd as might expect.
Is 6/5/4/2 turns normal for the Mk VIII ?!
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:47 pm

Re: Manifoil MkVIII instructions

It is 6L/5R/4L/3R for the code wheels and 2L/1R for the drive cams. Or to summarize it: It's a pain in the ace.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

tom2

Post Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:14 pm

MartinHewitt wrote:It is 6L/5R/4L/3R for the code wheels and 2L/1R for the drive cams. Or to summarize it: It's a pain in the ace.

Lol, didn't know it was 5 number (inc fixed 0) combination! Assumed 4 like the Mk4, not least since the combination it came with was 4 (inc 0) and there is so little info on the web. Looking properly I see the extra code wheel compared to the MkIV so quite obvious really. But someone has messed with this lock, at least one of the code wheels wasn't clamped, probably just one actually, which I guess allowed it to work with one less number. On close inspection I could see scratches around the code wheels where the tip of the change key had dragged around them, where it shouldn't ever have been. Had to manually work down the stack to get them all unlocked and properly aligned again. Working nice now, will full length combination - thanks to your info, much appreciated!
<<

smoggins

Post Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:01 pm

Gents,
Useful information ... I have a Manifoil Mark VIII that requires the combination changing ... I realise I require a different Key than the numerous Mk IV that I have to hand, and can purchase separately .

Could you provide a ' Step-by-Step' Instruction on how to change the Manifoil MVIII combination ... ? Or do I just need to add an extra number (rotation) to the MkIV instructions .. easier said than done I imagine !

Many Thnaks in advance, ...

I am
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:12 am

Yes, it is like the Mk IV with the fourth number prefixed with a turn more: 6L. And the red plug is new, which must be removed instead of moved to the side.

And as always: Verify at least three openings before closing the door.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

smoggins

Post Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:24 pm

I'm just wondering - Could either of you provide a 'Step-by-step' to changing the Combination on MkVIII - I'm slightly apprehensive of inserting the key ,and throwing the locks - then attempting to use the existing Combination on the Mark Line - to change Combination without some sound guidance ... Just in Case it all goes Belly Up !

Appreciation in Advance ...
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:11 pm

The Mk.VIII has a locked on back cover just like the Mk.IV. And just like the Mk.IV the mechanism can be disabled in the closed and locked condition by removing the two screws near the lock bolt. So in the case of an error there is no need to panic.

For changing the combo ignore the normal opening index. You can cover it with tape or so to prevent accidental use of it. The only index relevant is the change index to the left. Remove the red plug and dial the combo to the change index. 6th time left to the first number, 5th time right to second number, 4th time left to the third number, 3rd time right to the second number, then the dial slightly left. The last move is to prevent the last wheel to be moved accidentally. Insert the change key and turn it left a quarter turn. (Won't turn in the other direction and more than a quarter turn.) Repeat the dialing sequence above (6L-5R-4L-3R) with the new combo. Turn the change key back and remove it. If you have the lock in a container test it at least three times successfully before closing the door. With the extremely long dialing sequence of the Mk.VIII it is better to be especially careful. Btw. for unlocking the lock you need to dial after the 6L-5R-4L-3R sequence a 2nd time left to 0 and then turn the dial right until it stops. You can find on YT videos showing the opening and changing of the Sargent & Greenleaf 6730. Both work the same, but the Mk.VIII has more wheels. So while the 6730 is 4L-3R-2L-R the Mk.VIII has the additional 6L-5R in front of it.
<<

smoggins

Post Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:16 pm

Many Thanks -
Much Appreciated ... Hope I can get the combo changed ! - Will post if successful

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks