FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Can't Replace S&G 6730 with S&G 8550

<<

FoxInfotech

Post Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:53 am

Can't Replace S&G 6730 with S&G 8550

I have been trying for some time to upgrade the Group 2, S&G 6730's on my safes (3) with more manipulation-resistant, Group 1 - Sargent & Greenleaf 8550' safe combination locks .
None of the S&G distributors in Australia that I have approached can supply any S&G 8550 safe combination locks, nor any other S&G-Group 1 lock.
So I approached S&G directly but was politely referred back to their Australian distributors, who could not help me.
I was advised by a senior S&G that regarding the 8550 product line - due to a component shortage the lead time has extended to 25 weeks from our factory for this product.
25 week lead time ! ?
Can anyone please tell me what is going on with Sargent and Greenleaf and this model of safe-lock ?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:32 am

Re: Can't Replace S&G 6730 with S&G 8550

Lock sales of international companies often have a national flavoring. That might be the case with S&G and Australia too. Maybe the sales volume in Australia of the 8550 is not high enough for the distributor to import them. Maybe no insurance/burglary standard is requiring such a lock? In case you are not fixed on the 8550, but want to make an upgrade from the 6730, I do recommend the 6630. It is a lot more difficult to manipulate it, but usage is not more complex and it feels a lot smoother.

25 weeks lead time is great! I would be very happy if it were just 25 weeks in my industry, but it went up from the regular 8 weeks to around 52 weeks.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks