FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help with Meilink Safe

<<

Sigmeister

Post Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:22 pm

Help with Meilink Safe

IMG_4724-1.jpg
IMG_4723-1.jpg
IMG_4722-1.jpg
First time poster long time safe enthusiast. I regularly see safes on Craigslist and Marketplace and just buy them. Sometimes I clean them up and sell them, sometimes give them to people that need them ect. So today I see this Meilink Safe. $50 yea, I decided it didnt matter what I'm going to do with it, just do it. So I did, it functions well. Does anyone know what model it is? I cant find anything definitive. What does the key do? Is it possible to get a key for it? I may choose to disable the key, depending on your response. Thanks for any assistance you may be able to give. Sig
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:01 pm

Re: Help with Meilink Safe

What it is and who made it is written on the labels. The key lock is a simple cam lock that is also blocking the bolt work just like the combination lock does. It doesn't provide much security, but it is not a burglary safe anyway. If the key lock is to inconvenient and can't be kept unlocked position, then you can remove the cam from the lock after removal of the back cover of the door.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Sigmeister

Post Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:55 pm

So would the model be R- 2742-B be the model? Would the actual security level of the safe be improved by disabling the key lock? It sounds like it just is an entry point for an easy pick. I could just fill it with something.
Thanks
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:57 am

To open the safe both locks must be unlocked. Burglary security is hence not improved by disabling the lock, but very slightly reduced.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Sigmeister

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:23 am

What terminology would I use to describe the lock, cylinder and characteristics to just order a new lock and key. I dont know the specifics of what to call it.
<<

Sigmeister

Post Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:07 pm

So this is what I'm trying to replace. It seems like it is twice as long as all the lock cylinders I'm finding. Can anybody help me find a replacement? Thanks Sig
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Werewolf

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:46 am

If the lock is in good condition, it may be better to make a key for it.
"Who are you and how did you get in here ?"
"I'm the locksmith , and i'm a locksmith"

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks