FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Identifying a Remington Rand / Sperry Rand Safe

<<

TX_Frets

Post Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:22 pm

Identifying a Remington Rand / Sperry Rand Safe

Hello all - I'm in the process of acquiring a Remington Rand / Sperry Rand safe from a local business that is being liquidated. The safe is locked but, luckily, with the door open so I'm hoping it'll be a good safe to learn manipulation on.

I'm having some trouble identifying the model / year of the safe as there appears to be very little information on this brand. Could y'all please share any information on these Remington / Sperry safes or help me identify it?

<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:06 pm

Re: Identifying a Remington Rand / Sperry Rand Safe

Future reference: a close, straight-on pic of dial/handle would be ideal. Just like you did with label. Not sure when Rem/Rand/Sperry existed. Possibly '50s-mid '70s (?). Do know of a Sperry Univac company in Minneapolis/St. Paul area that dealt in/with computers. Believe they folded in early '80s. If Yale is stamped on dial nose then the lock should be a Rem Rand 073, IF the handle is silver. If it is stamped S&G then lock should be a Rem Rand 074 (S&G 6727 lock). There may be times when this isn't always the case. The Rem Rand locks 072 1/2, 072 3/4, 073, 074 are all indirect drive. Each wheel on these locks has a primary gate and a secondary gate. Primary gates are not cut all the way through each wheel, but the secondary gates are. Locks stamped Yale were made exclusively for Rem Rand. May be a bit confusing.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

TX_Frets

Post Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:12 pm

Thanks very much, Bitbuster. Your info definitely gave me a good place to start. Until now, I've only been able to find fragmented stories on the company rather than the safes!

Here's an interesting brochure on the model 074.(assuming that's what it is) http://www.wheelpost.com/Documents_PDF/074_brochure.pdf

I'll go to the auction site tomorrow to take a photo of the handle, and to see if there are any other identifying features. I won't be able to pick the safe up until next Tuesday , dang.
<<

safecracker33

Familiar Face

Post Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:00 am

didn't the rem rands have asbestos in them?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:50 am

In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks