FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Need a source for safe lock mounting screws

<<

L4R3L2

Post Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:55 pm

Need a source for safe lock mounting screws

I have some safe locks to mount on stands, but don't have a source for mounting screws.

They are for standard "magic footprint" locks. 1/4"-20 Phillips head, but here's the kicker...factory screws have heads of around .312" diameter so they don't bind against the wheels. The smallest heads I have found so far are allen socket cap screws with .368" diameter heads, and they bind the wheels. Even standard fillister head diameters are larger than that, so they won't work either.

Any help appreciated. I'd like to buy boxes of 50 or 100 in various lengths, and have no desire or need to buy complete mounting kits from S&G or LaGard. After all, they must be sourcing them from somewhere.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:57 pm

Re: Need a source for safe lock mounting screws

Stick the screws into a drill and run them against a file or sandpaper to narrow the heads for now.

There has been a LOT of searching done to try and find the exact screws but no source has been found that I am aware of. I had some luck with socket head cap screws but depending on the maker they may also need to be thinned out a tad.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

just1pick+open

Post Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:12 pm

You can try this place. Every time I need something I can't find I have always found something here.
https://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/
xeo: i use an electric buzzer exclusively for my ass that gets sanitized afterwards
PhoneMan: would have freaked my friend out if hed come over
MBI: Most anything goes.
PhoneMan: way to give me nightmares
selim: ok then blow your load,, i'll take anything free now a day's
<<

madsamurai

Post Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:25 pm

I searched for a long time for these, with no luck finding anything in bulk... I finally ended up buying some short ones from MBA and some longer ones from Lockmasters, I think. They were the only ones I found, and each supplier only had one size available. Even McMaster didn't have any, and they have everything. Tomorrow after work I'll see if I can find links again and post for you. For mounting my collection, I pretty much used these where they were necessary and standard socket head screws where they wouldn't interfere with the functionality.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:53 pm

[quote="madsamurai" Even McMaster didn't have any, and they have everything.[/quote]

confirmed end of world status
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

madsamurai

Post Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:31 pm

Here are a couple available on Lockmasters... they both run about a dollar each, and expect to pay around $10 for shipping, but they're the only ones I could find.
https://www.lockmasters.com/lagard-combination-safe-lock-mounting-screws-lag1830
https://www.lockmasters.com/kaba-mas-cencon-lock-mounting-screws
<<

L4R3L2

Post Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:30 pm

Awesome. Thank you for the helpful replies. I always check McMaster Carr for hardware I cannot find locally, and they usually have what I'm looking for. When they don't, I usually can't find it anywhere else either. lol.

I considered turning the heads down, but I'd rather find the proper screws and save the labor.

I'll try to set an account up with Lockmasters and go from there. Thank you for the links.
<<

L4R3L2

Post Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:40 pm

My license just arrived today, so I can complete my registration with Lockmasters. But, in the mean time for my own locks, this is my solution. Tighten the screws, mark the sides nearest the wheels, take them out and file a flat on that side. It works. Thanks again for the ideas.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks