FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Hearing Saver for amplifier work

<<

L4R3L2

Post Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:12 pm

Hearing Saver for amplifier work

I already have tinnitus and hearing loss from shop noise, construction, shooting, motorcycling, and age. Using an amplifier for manipulation is sometimes necessary, and all the dialing with headphones on gets really hard on the ears. I really only need to hear what I need to hear, not all the scraping, clicks and grinds while spinning the dials around.

So, I had it in mind to make a switch to cut out all the superfluous noise that was making my ears ring even more. The male jack at the top connects to the amplifier output. The headphones plug into the female jack at the bottom. The red button on the left is a momentary switch that let's the signal through when pushed. And, the green button on the right is an on/off toggle push button switch for when I do want to listen for a time for high wheels running under the fence. The screw on base has magnetic tape attached.

It's a bit of a juggling act, but my ears are thanking me. Having to increase volume during a session as my ears get worse is never a good thing for them.
<<

AL usher69

Post Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:19 pm

Re: Hearing Saver for amplifier work

Nice and thats what it is about helping you.. I'm looking for a mic setup to connect to my Panasonic toughbooks. I have CPJ software which helps you see what the mic picks up. I do like your setup like you mentioned I'm older, guns and Harleys, loud music has taken its toll on my hearing. So that equalizer helps you dial in pretty good?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:18 pm

Looks like red is arming and green unarming the bomb to blow up the safe.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

L4R3L2

Post Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:38 pm

AL usher69 wrote:So that equalizer helps you dial in pretty good?

It definitely helps when it's needed, and can help pinpoint a contact point when feel is very faint. But, it's unnecessary and too hard on my ears to use when feel alone is enough. Locks with gravity levers, and sometimes friction fence locks can benefit from audio amplification.

Lol, MH! I tried to pick appropriate colors for the switches, but in the end I just picked complimentary colors to tell them apart. I'm more of a mechanical guy, so for me it would be a simple time fuse any way.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks