FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Combination Dial File Cabinet

<<

L4R3L2

Post Sun May 24, 2020 5:55 pm

Re: Combination Dial File Cabinet

That looks like a Mosler thick-walled cast iron fire safe. The S&G dial is a replacement, and may indicate the original lock has been replaced.
<<

ddq

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 25, 2020 9:05 am

L4R3L2 wrote:That looks like a Mosler thick-walled cast iron fire safe. The S&G dial is a replacement, and may indicate the original lock has been replaced.

Thanks!

Does anyone recognize this safe? The hinges look unique to me. The seller says it is a Denny Brothers and Company safe but I believe that is the business who originally owned the safe, not built it. I may go look at it tomorrow evening. The price is good, it seems to have adequate number of bolts but the door walls are obviously pretty thin. The seller says the lock is 'gold' and it has been in his late father's wood shop for many years so its been kept dry. I am waiting for the seller to take a measurement of the storage area so I know if it will even suit my needs. From the outside it looks like it will be close. I need an inside height of about 45".
Also, is it feasible to use a come-along to pull any safe this size into my 20' enclosed trailer? I image it weighs substantially more than the 1000 lbs the seller claims.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 686029974/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon May 25, 2020 9:41 am

Might be a Diebold or Cary. The dial is also a help for identification, but hidden, and even more so the lock, which is hidden even better on the photos.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

ddq

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 25, 2020 10:11 am

MartinHewitt wrote:Might be a Diebold or Cary. The dial is also a help for identification, but hidden, and even more so the lock, which is hidden even better on the photos.

Did you notice the silver plate covering the lock inside the door? Does that narrow anything down?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon May 25, 2020 10:27 am

Yes, no.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

ddq

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 25, 2020 2:01 pm

Martin is correct, Diebold's logo ends in 'Canton, O." And the "ON,O." Is readable on the door in the pic.
<<

ddq

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 27, 2020 10:18 am

L4R3L2 wrote:Any burglary rated safe big enough for long guns will be pushing a ton in weight, and that seems to be a concern of yours. Even fire resistant safes will weigh upwards of 700+ pounds, yet do not offer a whole lot in the way of burglary resistance.

Amsec has their BF line of gun safes (BF- Burglary Fire) which offer a great compromise, and are about the only gun safes any more that have true fill rather than gypsum board (Fill being superior for fire, and necessitating both an outer and inner steel shell. Most drywall lined safes only have an outer steel shell). The BF line also has 1/2" steel plate on the door. Amsec's BFll line offers even more burglary protection, with an additional inner liner of 4 gauge steel (~1/4") in the walls, and having upgraded TL-15-design bolt works. But, the BFll weigh about 3/4 ton.

My advice...
If you're TRULY limited by weight, you will not be able to have a proper burglary resistant safe. But, you'd be surprised how much weight a floor can safely support.
If you are near a fire department (that is not volunteer), a drywall lined safe may very well suffice (no guarantees).
Get an alarm. Whatever type safe you buy will need to be protected by the time-limiting benefit a good alarm provides. This can't be stressed enough.

This post seems to have hit the nail on the head. I have realized any older safe big enough to put a 49" gun in is too big to even get in the door to my home.
So, I have abandoned that idea and have been looking at Amsec safes and one Fortis safe. Can anyone tell what model this Amsec safe is? If it is just a fire rated safe I am not interested. The seller is not being very helpful in giving me more details.

https://fayetteville.craigslist.org/spo ... 35351.html

I am also looking at this Fortis safe. It is obviously pure steel and more secure but also much further away and more expensive. I am waiting on the dimensions but it looks plenty tall to hold guns.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 966454634/
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed May 27, 2020 1:56 pm

That guy probably doesn't want to sell his Amsec. I think in the best case it is a typical US gun safe with a LG or S&G lock and in the worst case it is a Chinese import fire safe with a direct entry fence lock. The missing change index on the dial makes the last case more likely.
<<

ddq

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 27, 2020 2:26 pm

MartinHewitt wrote:That guy probably doesn't want to sell his Amsec. I think in the best case it is a typical US gun safe with a LG or S&G lock and in the worst case it is a Chinese import fire safe with a direct entry fence lock. The missing change index on the dial makes the last case more likely.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to stay away from the Amsec.
<<

L4R3L2

Post Wed May 27, 2020 7:01 pm

That Amsec is an FR6022 circa 1990 (700 pounds, fyi). You can do much better than that model. Amsec makes some of the best safes, but also succumbed to the lower end market as well, as did most of the competition.
<<

ddq

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 28, 2020 5:48 am

L4R3L2 wrote:That Amsec is an FR6022 circa 1990 (700 pounds, fyi). You can do much better than that model. Amsec makes some of the best safes, but also succumbed to the lower end market as well, as did most of the competition.

It is difficult for me to determine much information about the Amsec safes based only on pictures. Even on other safes it seems to be difficult to tell if what looks like a plate on the outside of the door is actually plate or just laminated insulation.
I am still waiting on a message back about the dimensions of the Fortis safe.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu May 28, 2020 6:09 am

You can look for safe certifications and classes, which are shown on label stuck to the door.
<<

ddq

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 28, 2020 6:12 am

Is it safe to assume a door with no stickers is not a certified safe or is it common for stickers to fall off or be removed?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu May 28, 2020 6:23 am

Do you want to research each safe without a sticker if it had one?
<<

ddq

Familiar Face

Post Thu May 28, 2020 6:42 am

MartinHewitt wrote:Do you want to research each safe without a sticker if it had one?

Yes, if it means I end up with a good safe.
PreviousNext

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks