FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Bad Ass Safe

<<

AL usher69

Post Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:24 am

Re: Bad Ass Safe

MartinHewitt wrote:Even so I don't have a Y6, they are not really rare in the US. Nonetheless they are a nice piece of history worth displaying. The patent for this mechanism is US840269.

Thanks I think I've downloaded all the patents of my lock collection..
<<

AL usher69

Post Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:22 pm

20201121_171319.jpg
I finally got the body in my home. I've had the door inside and that was nothing compared to body. I'm taking pics. as I go along. It would be nice if there were more ideas to work with. Well here's the body some surface rust I'm going to prime it then put bondo to smooth it out
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:31 pm

As you have also the housing of the jeweler's chest, it would probably look very nice once restored.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

AL usher69

Post Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:40 pm

MartinHewitt wrote:As you have also the housing of the jeweler's chest, it would probably look very nice once restored.

Thanks I can count on you for help, information, and, encouragement. I have the pressure bar setup. Im wondering shout i have them strip and them plated or just cleaned and polished.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:55 pm

You could ask for a price and then think about it.

Or you could restore the rest of the safe, ask then about a price and think then about it.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

AL usher69

Post Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:51 am

MartinHewitt wrote:You could ask for a price and then think about it.

Or you could restore the rest of the safe, ask then about a price and think then about it.

I'm still entertaining the wells fargo idea. Everytime I look at the way the body is put together reminds me of there cash box being throw from the stage coach. Since work is slowed way down I've been watching westerns and have time to work on the safe. Again thanks for ideas and info.
<<

AL usher69

Post Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:55 am

I also thought turning left for the cp and opening it. I was wrong its RLRLR 4 wheel.
<<

AL usher69

Post Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:38 pm

I'm trying to remove the rod that connects the dial and the wheels in the lock box.. It will not go either way. It stops at the door both sides. I have it circled if that helps. Thanks in advance
The door is now primed and is drying. I've filled in the minor dents and scrapes on both the door and body.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:59 pm

Maybe it is a punch proof spindle. There should be something on the inside, which you can remove. Could be the whole back of the door.
<<

AL usher69

Post Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:04 pm

MartinHewitt wrote:Maybe it is a punch proof spindle. There should be something on the inside, which you can remove. Could be the whole back of the door.

The inside of the door doesn't seem to come apart. I was thing of putting one of my other locks on there. Then it wouldn't be original. All the parts have the same 4 numbers or 3 numbers they all match. I mean anything on the inside of the door and out side. There's only one broken bracket it has the numbers on it so instead of getting another one ill have it fix by a welder.. im thinking of bring this to the other forum everybody from here belongs to it plus more and people seem more interested about safes, locks, gold...
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:32 am

There are safes where the back plate of the door slab needs to be removed. I don't see any relevant screws on your photo. There are safes where a plug around the spindle needs to be removed (viewtopic.php?p=120881#p120881), but the gap around your spindle looks quite small. So I would ask 00247. He has completely disassembled so many old safes. You could ask at https://www.antique-locks.com/ . They are quite resourceful, but I think they are more focused on UK safes.
<<

AL usher69

Post Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:15 pm

I'm starting to put things together the body has been sanded I filled the scrapes and level it so when its painted it will look good. I like high gloss black. With a little detail in red and gold leaf. The door is going through test fitting and then finish painting. With this covid I have lots of free time.
<<

AL usher69

Post Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:29 pm

I didn't have bondo to fill in my iron safe. I used joint compound lightly to smooth out the surface. I've primed everything with rust-oleum 2 coats i used 0000 steel wool between coats very lightly. Has any one used joint compound and has success. I'm taking pictures and will post them when done
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:38 pm

I have no idea how to properly paint a safe, but I need to learn it for my field safe, after I managed to get all old paint off.
<<

AL usher69

Post Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:20 pm

MartinHewitt wrote:I have no idea how to properly paint a safe, but I need to learn it for my field safe, after I managed to get all old paint off.

I just asked a bridge painter about using joint compound on metal and he said as long as you clean the surface before you apply the mud and keep thin layers i should have no problem. I'm going to use high gloss black with pin stripping in red and either a logo in gold leaf or wells Fargo & co.
PreviousNext

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks