FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Bad Ass Safe

<<

AL usher69

Post Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:15 pm

Bad Ass Safe

I'm trying to buy this safe from a friend. It's not that big but man it's heavy if anyone has info on this type I would again be appreciated. That Cary emblem was on the dial so it's a Cary safe. I just never seen one with so much levers on the front. I don't know why it reminds me of something from Wells Fargo..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:36 pm

Re: Bad Ass Safe

There was a time when nitroglycerine was a standard tool of the burglar. To prevent getting nitro in the door gap they made to close the safe as tight as possible. For this they added an extra mechanism to push the door in before throwing the bolts.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:11 pm

It's a jeweler's chest. The lock should be a Yale Y-6. It may have a bronze case. Just to be sure it isn't a straight -tailpiece, apply pressure to the handle while rotating the dial. Dial will bind if it is a straight-tailpiece.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

AL usher69

Post Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:19 pm

ok im back at frinds house with this safe its hard to turn i do hear gear like sounds when turning im trying to free it up by spining and spining if it is a yale y-6 could someone tell me waer the contact point would be if i remember geared locks only have a right contact point any one my friend said i can have the safe if i open it and he gets the prizes inside i really want this safe its noe a tailpipe thank god i would love to have a yale lock for my collection
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:26 pm

Cary Jeweler's Chest with Y-6. Can have 3 or 4 wheels. Drop in is 68.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

AL usher69

Post Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:33 pm

bitbuster wrote:Cary Jeweler's Chest with Y-6. Can have 3 or 4 wheels. Drop in is 68.

thank u so much going over there now illkeep it posted
<<

AL usher69

Post Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:22 pm

the dial is hard to turn ive tried everything i know like with a Rubber malet hit the dial not hard just enough i took the screw out holding dial on and sprayed lube in the hole and kept spinning nothing any ideas are welcome again it spins a little then real hard and right around 68 its harder then hell to spin
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:56 pm

<<

AL usher69

Post Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:22 pm

mdc5150 wrote:http://www.keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=5664&p=46017#p46017

wow thats it without the rust is there a way to loosen up the safe dial it sticks and is hard to spin id hate to open it with scope
<<

AL usher69

Post Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:50 am

I finally got this safe opened. It wasn't through manipulating the lock. I'll say I used a tiny flash lite and a long reg. screwdriver. I'm not proud its just the dial wouldn't turn. When I open it it was filled with crud and oil plus the bottom wheel with teeth one of them was bent upwards. It is a 4 wheel cary lock I think its a y6 or something like that. Ill be taking pics. One question I have is this a collectible safe, if it is I'll put it back to stock if not I'm thinking of designing it with Wells Fargo on it and mabey have handles welded on its sides. All suggestions are welcome and stay safe guys this covid shit is sucks.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:03 am

Jeweler's chests are nice little boxes. If it would be my safe I would clean and service it and perhaps try a mild restoration. But it is your safe. The condition is not that great. If you would customize to your likes I guess the loss of monetary and historical value would not be so high.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

AL usher69

Post Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:03 am

I did some cleaning and I have the body still in my van. Its just to heavy for me and my wie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:00 am

Looks like a Y6.
<<

AL usher69

Post Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:48 am

MartinHewitt wrote:Looks like a Y6.

This is my 4th friction fence lock and the 1st 4 wheel friction fence lock is this a good collectable lock as far as me personally all my locks are like jewelry. My father who is 84 said if there worth money sell them. I told him I couldn't sell any of them and I display them like antique artifacts. The most I've spent was 50.00 on a newer s&g 6730. The rest were free or 25.00. If I get any more ideas about redoing the Gary safe or if not I'll send more pictures as I go along.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:09 am

Even so I don't have a Y6, they are not really rare in the US. Nonetheless they are a nice piece of history worth displaying. The patent for this mechanism is US840269.
Next

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks