FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Protex FD-2014LS Dropbox Entry Help

<<

AntiochCommons

Post Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:58 am

Protex FD-2014LS Dropbox Entry Help

Hello,

I am brad new here and just signed up to try to get help since Protex, the safe manufacturer, is n[img][img][/img][/img]ot helping me. Protex does not answer the phone or return emails and I don't have time to wait to get into the unit to collect rent payments.

I have a 10 year old Protex through the wall dropbox safe and the batteries on the keypad are too weak to open. This unit is bolted down to the floor in the office of the apartment complex and the keypad is about 8" off the ground. The only online manual I have found unstructs to use a wire with a small fork on the end to put up into the bottom of the keypad and attach to a 9v battery to get enough power to put in the code and open it up. Once inside, the batteries can be replaced.

My pronlem is that i do not have the original wire that came with the unit 10 years ago. Also, from the best picture i can take of the plug it looks to be different than the forked design in the manual. It looks like it is a barrel type plug. I have no idea what size plug. It is pretty small though.

Please help if you can.

Thanks,
James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:35 am

Re: Protex FD-2014LS Dropbox Entry Help

Try Amazon.com
9 volt universal power supply
Get the one that has all the different size tips.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:07 am

Quick search of the model number FD2014LS shows your safe has a SecuRam electronic lock. Maybe try contacting the lock manufacturer for help. Or try researching their manuals online.
<<

AntiochCommons

Post Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:28 pm

I went back to the safe the Tuesday after I posted with several barrel power supply cords. None of them were the correct size BUT, on a whim I tried the code again and the safe opened. Strange... I replaced the batteries although the ones that were in there were not very old. I used the safe a few more times with no issue. Then today, I went back to try to get in again, which we do every work day. The safe is now doing the same thing as before. What I thought was a low battery issue I now believe to be a failing keypad. It seems that the 5, 6 and 9 numbers on the keypad will not take an entry.

So I am essentially back in the same position with a lock I cannot open. Except now it is not actually due to low power. I hope I can get into the safe one more time and then leave it open while I then determine a way to replace the keypad.

One thing for sure, Protex is a horrible company and has horrible customer service. They will not answer the phone or anything. And the keypad is a Digipaz which I think is their own in house brand so it is not like I can call someone else. I wish it were a SecuRam because they tried to be helpful when I called them even though it is not their product.

I had a thought that maybe the keypad is affected by humidity because when it was acting up it was rainy. Tuesday, when I got in was sunny. And, I was able to open it up numerous times without any issue so I thought it was fixed. Is it even a possibility the weather is an issue? I have no idea how I am going to get into this thing again because I feel like it was just luck. I would assume the keypad could fail intermittently?
<<

L4R3L2

Post Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:44 am

Hopefully you will be able to get it open one last time without having to have it drilled open.

If/when you do get it open, leave it unlocked and consider having the electronic lock replaced with a reliable mechanical S&G or LaGard lock. Unless your situation dictates otherwise, do not allow a locksmith to talk you into continuing to use an electronic lock.

IMO, there are only four scenarios that warrant the inherent risks of using an electronic lock.
1) failing eyesight
2) the need to have separate combinations for several individuals
3) the need for unusually frequent combination changes (though changing a combination on a mechanical lock is not difficult to perform yourself once learned)
4) getting into the safe is not really all that critical to you

If you absolutely have to use an electronic lock, or if you truly feel the benefit outweighs the risk in your situation, seriously consider switching to an Amsec electronic lock.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:02 am

Think If it were me, I'd still try to power the keypad with the emergency override wire and brand new Duracell.(check date and voltage under load).
Pray for a dry, sunny day and try to open. If it opens, remove contents and discontinue use of the safe. If the keypad has gone bad, you will most likely need to call for professional help.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks