FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help with a Mosler 4216CL5

<<

SafecrackinSammmy

Familiar Face

Post Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:44 pm

Re: Help with a Mosler 4216CL5

Not really a lot of maintenance to be done if everything is working right now.

Check all of the screws to make sure they are tight. If the wheels are turning sluggish, you can pull them off the curb, (keeping in order) and wipe off the post and the wheel contact points, then reassemble.

Again after any servicing, make sure to test full cycle with the door open before you shut it.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:29 pm

Sammy, there is one thing, which confuses me. Perhaps you have knowledge about this.

My understanding is/was there are the Mosler 5-X locks, which are friction fence locks with 4 wheels, and there are Mosler 6-X locks, which are friction fence locks with 3 wheels, and the B-6 is wrongly labeled. But the probably wrongly labeled B-6 is not a friction fence lock, just like this Yale viewtopic.php?p=119660#p119660 . It is not visible in Squelchtone's catalogue if it is a friction fence lock or if it is spring loaded. The same is the case with the HPC manual. So were the 5-X and 6-X locks at one point changed from friction fence to spring loaded fence?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

L4R3L2

Post Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:09 am

MartinHewitt wrote:My understanding is/was there are the Mosler 5-X locks, which are friction fence locks with 4 wheels, and there are Mosler 6-X locks, which are friction fence locks with 3 wheels, and the B-6 is wrongly labeled. But the probably wrongly labeled B-6 is not a friction fence lock, just like this Yale https://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?p=119660#p119660 . It is not visible in Squelchtone's catalogue if it is a friction fence lock or if it is spring loaded. The same is the case with the HPC manual. So were the 5-X and 6-X locks at one point changed from friction fence to spring loaded fence?

I'm going to revisit this, since it was never answered. And, I'm not saying I have the answer, but I think I figured it out. It would be nice if someone could confirm or deny the following.

I've seen No.5 with either three or four wheels (as shown in HPC). The changing instructions say the No.5 has three wheels. McOmie said that "most" No.5 have four wheels (meaning that some do not). It seems he is saying that in his experience he has seen more with four wheels, but some do have three, as confirmed in the changing instructions. The No. 5 is a friction fence lock, as seen in McComie's book.

The no.6, on the other hand, is shown in McOmie's book as having the spring-plunger bolt/fence (just like the one in the linked thread), and is described as having three wheels. As seen in the HPC manual, the curbs shown for the No.6 each have three wheels. The shorter hub on the model No.6 curb looks like it would only allow for three wheels, with no room for a curb of four.

At this point, I'm thinking the main difference between the No.5 and the No.6 is that the No.5 has a friction fence, and the No.6 has a spring-loaded plunger fence.

Also, note that the lock case for the No.5 is larger at 4.5" x 3.25", versus 4" x 3" for the No.6. I could be wrong, but I think some who think there were two different versions/sizes of the No.5 are actually comparing the No.5 and the No.6, not realizing the internal mechanism is different between the two.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:30 am

I didn't know there are two sizes. The 6 in the HPC appears indeed smaller than the 5 as the dial is larger in relation to the lock body and the relation of thickness to length is also smaller. With the thinner body it seems likely that only 3 wheels fit inside.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
Previous

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks