FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

John Baumann Safe with Yale geared lock

<<

Hoarder

Familiar Face

Post Mon May 27, 2019 7:48 pm

Re: John Baumann Safe with Yale geared lock

MH - I noticed the National was easier to load in the truck but knocked that off to the bigger casters or lubed/better rolling. The OBB seemed to be worn where the bolt strikes the gravity bar thus the feedback. A few raps of the handle and I got a noticeable bind on the knob.

00247 and everybody - THANK YOU! It was a rush!

Oldfast - Anywhere on the dial at 4th turn I had my arrow zeroed, then at 45,47,49,50,52,54 I felt the CP narrow to 1,2,3,3,3,1. The high side dropped to 10,9,9,9,9,9. I took 50 as the 1st number and worked from there. CP was ~0. Checked CP each turn, lots of dial wiggling at CP each try then STOP. I didn't know what at first, but grabbed the handle and it opened. Graphite lube is da-bomb. Doesn't freeze, gum, or attract dust. Don't use it on guns as it's abrasive at high speed.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Tue May 28, 2019 8:01 am

So 50-__-__-80? How did you find wheels 2 and 3? Could you feel or hear the gates as they move under the fence? Do you use any manipulation aids? Wire pointers, lasers or listening devices? I have trouble with a Yale friction lock of my own and am always ready for tips on how to manipulate it.
<<

Hoarder

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 28, 2019 5:47 pm

I used a stethoscope for a while but after the graphite, I heard ONLY the CP leading edge at 10 and trailing at 0. Ditched the scope and went by sight and feel. The dial was easier to turn within the CP range. I did 2 increment increases on the fourth wheel and noticed the CP shrink from 0-10, 1-9, 2-9, then 3-9... It went back to 0-10 at 55 and didn't change till I got back to ~47. The leading and trailing edges of the CP actually shrank. Looking at the pictures of the 025 1/2 and other yale friction fence locks, I learned they have a spade shaped fence which leans in with the blunt side and the wheels have rounded edge gates. So the shrink in CP was the fence falling deeper into the wheelpack and I was detecting the rounded edge of an improperly aligned gate. After verifying that 50 changed CP only on the 4th wheel, I locked it in permanently. Wheels 2-3-4 were the same deal. I moved by 2 increments and returned to CP. The only thing I looked for was a CHANGE in CP width/position. With every change detected at CP, I RAPIDLY vibrated the dial between 0-10 which actually used the fence as a hammer/alignment tool.

I am 99% sure that my results were not by design. I think the friction fence, post, or sleeve is worn allowing the fence to tilt. I don't even remember the whole combo as I was only paying attention to CP. Now I gotta learn how to set the combinations on this 026 and the OBB... Or crack'em again. My notes are numbers, circled numbers, and half a graph.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue May 28, 2019 6:14 pm

To change the 026's combination you need to remove all wheels from the wheel pack. Then you can push out the inner part from each wheel and reinsert it at a different position. There should be a mark which shows you what number the wheel will have. That is called "mesh change". Often these locks have a hole at the back, so that you can verify or correct the combination.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Hoarder

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 28, 2019 8:14 pm

I've ordered an asbestos test kit from Amazon (Schneider Labs) and will mail a sample from the safe door to the lab when it comes.

Interestingly, John Baumann Safe Co seems to be a legit locksmith in St. Louis, MO... Maybe by the 0.01% chance, they replaced the insulation IF they reconditioned the safe. Thus the name on the front? Maybe? I'll put ceramic insulation in if it comes back asbestos.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed May 29, 2019 1:49 am

I have no idea how to handle asbestos in a safe way, but if you remove it, I don't think it is worth the effort to replace it. There might be a level of fire resistance, but what level is extremely uncertain. When something is so uncertain I would handle it like it had none.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Hoarder

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:53 pm

The results of the door insulation are in. It turns out the insulation is 60% Chrysotile (White Asbestos). The rest was 20% cellulose fiber and 20% non fibrous agents. So, be aware. If it ain't concrete, it could be asbestos.
Previous

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks