FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Sentry Combo + Key (V330) lost combo

<<

stupidSentry

Post Sat May 11, 2019 6:38 pm

Sentry Combo + Key (V330) lost combo

So i am a real idiot and paying the price now....

I have had this safe for years and since it has a dial combo and a key, i got lazy over time and would just lock it with the key, shift the dial a hair so it would lock.

Then when i wanted to open, just put pressure on the key and turn left and right a little until it opened.

My son bumped the dial today and i cannot find the pamphlet that had the sticker with the code on it.

I tried putting pressure on the key and turning the dial and it stops on 3 numbers, 42, 72, 2. Now i am pretty darn sure that the last number of the combo was 42 because that is right around where i had the dial set when it was working. I also did some digging online and read this safe has 2 "false gates" which i am guessing is the numbers where the dial locked up when i put pressure on the key.

I tried setting the first number and then doing this trick spinning it the other way for the 2nd and 3rd numbers, but it keeps locking up on all the same numbers.

Is there a process of elimination i can do to figure it out? This is a crappy walmart safe i bought in college years ago, nothing high tech security wise.

Sentry wants 30$ and 7-10 days to send me the code so trying to figure out if i have any other options. Can't cut it open since it has paperwork and live ammo inside.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun May 12, 2019 4:33 am

Re: Sentry Combo + Key (V330) lost combo

Your story is not unusual.

You can see the internal here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj-3vJWMNx0

With the information given there you can try e.g.
1) try all possible combinations. That are 20x20=400 with an average of 200 for opening.
2) manipulate the lock.
3) open it with something more elegant than an angle grinder and probably discard the "safe" afterwards.

Option 1 might be the cheapest. Option 2 can be the most fun if you like to do it. Option 3 might be the cheapest if you want to discard the safe anyway.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

SafecrackinSammmy

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 12, 2019 6:13 am

Let mean oold Mr. Gravity do the work for you..

Assuming the safe is not bolted down....

Put it in your car hinge side own with the key side up... Dial the last number to 42 assuming you are correct that it is the last number. Drive over some bumpy roads and speed bumps. Then try the key. Those wheels are way out of balance and it will cause the opening gate to go to the top as if you had dialed the combination.

May not work but I have seen it before on safes people were bringing in for service and they just happened to set the safe in their car in the right position.
<<

stupidSentry

Post Sun May 12, 2019 7:07 am

Thanks for that video, very helpful.

I am 99% sure 42 is the last number after seeing that video, it has the most play and that is where i had the dial set when it worked, and that was the only portion of the dial with dust on it so i know it was sitting near that number.

So there is roughly 5digits of play, are there any spreadsheets or anything that can list out all the possible combos for 1 & 2 dials accounting for the slop to cut down on the number of combos i have to try? Not exactly sure how to work the math out on this problem.

I am gonna give it a go trying to crack it since its not time critical that i get into it, will give that gravity trick a try first and if that doesnt work good ol brute force of every possible combo.
<<

SafecrackinSammmy

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 12, 2019 8:33 am

Here is another post on the site for the exact same safe that may help.

Since you know the last number you only need to walk the other two wheels around to open it like described in the post.

www.keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=10301
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun May 12, 2019 10:01 am

30 dollars is a good value. Lets think about what you get for your money.
1. All your personal documents. undamaged. (priceless)
2. brand new(well almost) working safe. With keys and combination
3. Box(es) of ammunition.( priceless here)
4. your sanity intact.

It's a win. win!

Not saying that I'd go that route. I've spent more on locks I may never open.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sun May 12, 2019 10:25 am

https://youtu.be/stc2wQkZ65w
In this video, starting around 2:10 going to 6:00 minute mark. He explains how brute forcing is done.
Things like, not scrambling the lock after every attempt. Setting wheel one, advancing wheel two, resetting wheel 3.
Using tolerances.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun May 12, 2019 10:42 am

That video is quite good, but you obviously do not just turn right to open, but turn right to 42 and try to unlock. Just test all numbers ending in 0 and 5. You can probably skip everything where wheels next to each other have less than 5 numbers distance, e.g. 5-40-42, 5-45-42 and 5-5-42. It can't hurt to try to turn the key a few times in case the number is just slightly off. When you got it open remove the door cover and observe the exact gate centers for opening.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks