FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help identifying the lock on this Mosler?

<<

sethlit

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:39 pm

Help identifying the lock on this Mosler?

I'm VERY new to safe cracking, so I'm thrilled to find this forum. What a fun hobby to add to the list. I'm hoping someone can help me identify the type of lock on this Mosler I'm trying to crack. The serial identifies it from 1956 but I can't find info in regards to the type of lock. I'd ideally like to purchase a match somewhere and begin figuring out how it works. Thanks for any info/tips/resources, much appreciated!

Seth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:15 pm

Re: Help identifying the lock on this Mosler?

Were quite a number of Mosler locks. My guess is either something like a CD120 (working like a SG R6730) or perhaps something with, what Oldfast calls, a flipper fence. The general principle of manipulation should be like what is written in the text book, but I am sure they have some peculiarities.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:31 pm

Most likely the CD 120 but may also be a B-101.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:40 pm

What was the original use of that container? Looks really weird - very small door, in a very large but apparently shallow box. Is that the accessory door to a much larger safe with a bigger door on the other side...or something?
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:26 pm

MHM wrote:What was the original use of that container? Looks really weird - very small door, in a very large but apparently shallow box. Is that the accessory door to a much larger safe with a bigger door on the other side...or something?

IIRC it is a fairly small safe surrounded by a metric shitload of cement.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:12 pm

Riyame wrote:IIRC it is a fairly small safe surrounded by a metric shitload of cement.

Funny Canuk. More likely an Imperial shitload, eh? :smile:
It is time... stand up for a constitutional America. Without it, we have shed blood in vain.
<<

sethlit

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:45 pm

Thanks everyone! Yeah...it's roughly 19" deep, 26" wide and 32" tall. It also has a sticker on it that says "Two different keys required to open inside door. Manager has only one key"

It was probably originally used in a hotel or something? Now, I'm wondering that if I even get it opened, will I then need to learn to lock pick? lol

The safe was actually discovered in a cabinet after we moved into our new house. The cabinet was built around the safe. We didn't discover it until after buying the house and moving in. From the looks of it, it was most likely the original owner's who had sold the house to the previous owner before us. I'm also pretty certain that the woman who sold the house to us never used it, nor had access inside it. She didn't mention anything about it and didn't actually own the house very long.

So dynamite is out of the question huh? lol

I've tried the default combos: 50-50-50, 50-25-50, etc. But no good. I also looked around the house quite a bit for any numbers that look like a combo, no success. I also want to try looking up the original owner's birth dates, etc. to give them a try. Otherwise, I guess I'll shoot for some manipulation. I doubt anything is left in the safe, but it would still be pretty cool to figure out how to crack it.

One thing - I'm able to pull the dial out about quarter of an inch, it still turns, a little smoother. I can simply push it back in. Is that normal? Thanks again guys.
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:36 pm

Heh...I'm a Kiwi so...I'll take the *metric* shitload every time.

I've got to say mate, you've pretty much hit what a lot of guys on this site would consider to be the jackpot. A hidden safe. Vintage. Very pretty. Locked up. In your own house. With multiple locks to manipulate open. And a bit of historical sleuthing to go with it.

I can promise you whatever help and advice you need, you're going to get it here - in return for you posting a shit tonne of photos and graphs.

sethlit wrote:One thing - I'm able to pull the dial out about quarter of an inch, it still turns, a little smoother. I can simply push it back in. Is that normal? Thanks again guys.

Uh oh. Now this one is probably not good. I'm going to let one of the Americans give you specific advice on that because we don't have Moslers in New Zealand (I've never even seen one, honestly) so my advice here is necessarily generic. But generally this would be a bad sign. Either the lock is worn...or the cam has slipped on the spindle...or perhaps the lock was disassembled (or even replaced) by someone who didn't exactly get things right when they put everything back together. Most times this would make manipulation more difficult, and would force you to - at the very least - pull that dial towards you when taking contact point readings, to eliminate the slop and get the CPs more accurate. Hoping one of the American guys (or MH) will chime in here...

Keep us posted mate, I'm looking forward to seeing how this thread develops.

Best wishes,

Michael.
<<

SafecrackinSammmy

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:20 pm

sethlit wrote:

One thing - I'm able to pull the dial out about quarter of an inch, it still turns, a little smoother. I can simply push it back in. Is that normal? Thanks again guys.

I remember doing a Mosler lug door decades ago that did have a pull out dial at the drop in. Cant remember the model number though.. Drilled to scope and had the wheels all lined up but no drop in... After a half an hour or so of scoping I either intentionally or just by luck pulled the dial out and it dropped in and opened.

Amazingly it was also the only FIREPROOF lug door I had ever seen. Actually had a fireproof cookie under the door crane.
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:25 pm

If you say dial pulls out a 1/4" then the lock may be an MR 120 LH, but Mosler only used those with the new style lug doors.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

sethlit

Post Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:14 pm

Thanks again for all the input guys, I'm gonna figure this out one way or another.

Slight exaggeration - after measuring, the dial only comes out 1/8" so not as much as I originally thought. When turning I feel a bit of resistance when it reaches at the number 95, consistently and I hear a little bit of a noise. I'm wondering if the cam has slipped on the spindle (as MHM noted above). Is that usually an obvious thing?

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks