FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Gardex GX1 Fire safe....

<<

mattinbc

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:31 pm

Re: Gardex GX1 Fire safe....

Wow. Not getting any easier eh.

I am totally at a loss. Maybe I will just bring it to work and crush it with an excavator. Lol...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:46 pm

Not a big difference. 90 is the best of these. You can either try a different location for W2 to search for a better location or use W1@L90 to make a full scan of W2.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

madsamurai

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:53 pm

martin, I don't want to step on your toes here, but I'm curious why you wouldn't use the low spot at R93? Run a hi/low test to see if it's on w1 or w2 then brute force the other wheel?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:56 pm

1) Didn't see the last photo. So my last comments are probably wrong.

2) You can't step on my toes. Please write your recommendations.

To answer your question: For me it is to faint. I would like to get a better point of view.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:06 pm

From the last table:

90/93/21 is indeed the only option, although it is not a good one. Yeah, a High/Low test doesn't hurt. If the answer is that it is on W1, then you have to be aware, that the rotation direction shifts the gate, probably by 2 numbers. So a right 93 is the same as a left 95. You can try a scan W1&W2 left with W3@ right 21. (W3 doesn't shift that much.) Thereby you can see where the gate is in the other direction and sometimes the graphs look different.
<<

madsamurai

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:16 pm

yeah, I was looking at the second graph posted on 3/11 with 1&2AR,3@L21... 93 isn't a screaming signature, but it's the right size and showing on both CPs. With the S&G locks I've practiced with, they almost always indicate 3,2,1, so I would have probably just run with the assumption that R93 is w2 and run w1 around L hoping for a brute force open, or at least a new low spot to work with.
<<

mattinbc

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:08 pm

Thanks Martin and MadSam.

I love seeing you both compare notes and it has helped me some.
Going back and checking again the contact points at 92-94, they were all 8 and 99 for left and right contact points.
Not really sure what I did there the first time. Maybe I was getting excited to be done another 50 number combo run.
I could say there may be a 1/16th inch in there but no. Im working in quarters so I feel I need to re run the graph again.

Will try L90,R?,L21 and see what we come up with this time.
Im getting pretty quick at making these graphs up.

Thanks to you both. I wanna brute force this thing open... with a 350 excavator. haha.

More to follow tomorrow.

Cheers.
:safedial:
Last edited by mattinbc on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:00 am

Thinking about it ... L90/R93/L21 is actually already a High/Low test pointing to W2. So you might also try L?/R93/L21.
<<

Squelchtone

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:10 am

mattinbc:

I'm still learning manipulation and by no means an expert, but I have opened a handful of safes and wanted to share some tips. It took a while to develop a good eye and feel for when the nose just begins to hit the contact point on either side of the drive cam. I dial with only my index finger and thumb, and grip the dial so lightly that my fingers almost slip across it if there is too much resistance. When I park on a number and dial back to the contact point test area, I close my eyes and roll over the contact point 3 or 4 times, each time trying to detect it sooner and sooner until i'm happy with how it feels, then I open my eye to make a reading. This way your brain and eyes arent just always going to the same spot where you expect to see the dial stop. This probably takes me longer than it should, but I feel like I get more accurate readings. Something I read in one of the .PDF safe manipulation guides floating around is to always take the readings looking dead on at the opening index, and to always keep it consistent, so I'm not checking one reading from the left, and the next reading from the right, because that may make a huge difference in accuracy.

Can you speak to your own method of how you like to grip the dial, and are you using any magnifying devices like a magnifying lens or a macro usb web cam, etc, and is this the first safe you are dialing or have you manipulated before?

Keep up the effort, it will be open soon!
Squelchtone
<<

mattinbc

Familiar Face

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:26 am

Well I was half done this graph already, so in the name of SCIENCE, I finished it.

Still so unsure. I do not think 93 is a number now that I have consistent results showing me that its contact points are steady.
My interest lies around where the valley at 70 starts to climb rapidly but I am unsure what number after that I would call useful.

I am wondering if I run the 100 numbers anyways with the combo: L?, R93,L21.

I may just try that anyways till someone responds.

Thanks guys.

matt.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

mattinbc

Familiar Face

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:42 am

Squelchtone wrote:mattinbc:

I'm still learning manipulation and by no means an expert, but I have opened a handful of safes and wanted to share some tips. It took a while to develop a good eye and feel for when the nose just begins to hit the contact point on either side of the drive cam. I dial with only my index finger and thumb, and grip the dial so lightly that my fingers almost slip across it if there is too much resistance. When I park on a number and dial back to the contact point test area, I close my eyes and roll over the contact point 3 or 4 times, each time trying to detect it sooner and sooner until i'm happy with how it feels, then I open my eye to make a reading. This way your brain and eyes arent just always going to the same spot where you expect to see the dial stop. This probably takes me longer than it should, but I feel like I get more accurate readings. Something I read in one of the .PDF safe manipulation guides floating around is to always take the readings looking dead on at the opening index, and to always keep it consistent, so I'm not checking one reading from the left, and the next reading from the right, because that may make a huge difference in accuracy.

Can you speak to your own method of how you like to grip the dial, and are you using any magnifying devices like a magnifying lens or a macro usb web cam, etc, and is this the first safe you are dialing or have you manipulated before?

Keep up the effort, it will be open soon!
Squelchtone

Hey Squelchtone!

Thanks for chiming in.

This is indeed my first safe. And as you can read back and see I have plotted many charts now.

Your technique for moving the dial and feeling the CP's is pretty much the same as how I do it. I keep my eyes open though, sit square to the dial, over turn my numbers by an 16th inch so that when I spin ahead a bit and come all the way back around once, the dial is ALWAYS resting on the actual number I intended it to be sitting on. I use one finger not 2, and even gently drag my thumb along the number hash-marks till the dial stops on its own. I always check 2 or three times.

What else can I say here.
My graphs as of late have been fairly consistent.
I am fairly mechanically inclined (Automotive and small engines), and I also play guitar so I am fairly in tune with what my fingers are feeling.
I have perfect vision and excellent hearing.

I hope that sums it up.

The first number came so easy it gave me hope. The second number seems to be a royal PITA.

Thanks for chiming in and by all means throw anything you have in the way of hints tricks or tips on this forum.
I appreciate it all.

matt.
<<

mattinbc

Familiar Face

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:27 am

Nothing new to report.
besides the hang ups in the dial on certain numbers, when setting the first number and then traveling around to the second number the First time.
Have encountered these number hang ups a few times now.
always around 24.5 and 10ish, and 14.5.
Not sure if the mechanism is just wore out.

Back to the drawing board.

Matt.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:01 pm

I wonder if the lock has a problem. Can you feel the pickup of W1? Are you unsure? What means "hang up"? A small bump? I am not an expert on lock problems, but I will research what the cause could be.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:09 pm

I don't have really a good idea what a possible problem could be. A flat line can IMHO only appear when the wheel does not turn. I understood, that W1 does not block the dial. So I guess there could be a problem with the fly, but worn flies and snapped off flies are most likely a problem with W3, because there the most usage is and the hardest impact when someone forcefully spins the dial. Perhaps W1 is stuck and someone forcefully turned the dial. Does the dial have pliers' marks?

With a good graph for W3 I don't think this can be the problem, but in any case, make sure the bolt work is not pushing against the lock bolt. I don't know in which direction to turn the handle to lock the safe so the lock bolt is free. My guess clockwise.

And check first how many wheels you can feel.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:45 am

If you can't find a low spot but can find the highest point: try +-25 numbers from that highest point, that's where the gate should be.

Edit to clarify: Works on S&G 6730.
Last edited by Jaakko Fagerlund on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks