FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Need help identifying a safe lock

<<

Rbailey885

Post Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:01 am

Need help identifying a safe lock

Hello all, I am brand new to the hobby of safe manipulation and I need some help. I know dials can be changed, but assuming that these have not, can anyone give a guess on what type of locks these may be? It is an AMSEC safe. I think they may be S & G 6630's????? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks (By the way, I bought the safe at an auction with out the combination)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:39 am

Re: Need help identifying a safe lock

S&G 6730 is a good start.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

Rbailey885

Post Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:51 pm

Thank you Bitbuster, much appreciated. Makes me feel a little better after everything I've read about the 6630 considering this will be my first time.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:58 pm

If it is a newer TL-rated AMSEC, then it is very likely a 6630, otherwise it could be a 6741 or 6730. The 6630 is an end boss, but maybe the combination is just 50-25-50, 10-20-30 or all 50.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Rbailey885

Post Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:01 pm

Thanks for the reply MartinHewitt. I tried all the 25/50 combinations and 10-20-30 with no success, which is ok because I want to manipulate it open anyway. (Way to much fun) I do have a question though: If the relocker pin/bar were to drop down would that freeze up the dial or just not allow the nose to drop down into the contact area? If it doesn't allow the nose to drop down all the way, would you still be able to feel the contact points?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:42 pm

All relockers do neither freeze the dial nor the lever. The relocker inside the lock freezes the lock bolt. The relocker(s) of the safe freeze the bolt work. If the contact points are extremely weak then it is the end boss.

PS: If you can't feel any contact points they are just extremely weak.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

Rbailey885

Post Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:25 pm

Do the contact points remain a constant across all dials, ie. would all 6741's read at say 2ish. I get a slight ting at 2 going right, and another slight ting around 98 going left. There is a strong ting and stop at 5. Not 100% sure exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for all the help
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:50 pm

My 6643 (similar to a 6630 with 4 wheels) has CPs at about 0 and 16. In between the nose has not contact. When turning right/clockwise the nose "hits" the edge of the drive cam at 0. When turning left/counterclockwise the nose "hits" the edge at 16. The left CP at 0 is always more pronounced than the right one. If you come from the outside the dial might feel like it is accelerating a bit. Of course the numbers can be slightly different with your locks. My guess is 2 is your left CP and 98 is a bump on the dial. Is the stop at 5 working from both sides and always? It might be some edge on the dial or dial ring.
<<

Rbailey885

Post Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:24 pm

The stop at 5 does work both ways, there is also a similar stop both ways at 95 so I can assume those are probably a bump on the wheel. If I go AWL, no matter where I park the 3 wheels those two bumps are always both ways at 5 and 95. As far as I can tell the ping at 2 is only going counterclockwise (left) and I can't always feel it.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:39 pm

Is it "at 2 going right" or "at 2 is only going ccw/left"?

If you position the dial at 3 to 5 and then turn quickly left, can you then feel something around 15 to 20?
<<

Rbailey885

Post Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:04 pm

It seems to be at 2 only going left but I can't always hear or feel it. Nothing between 15 to 20. I'm beginning to suspect this has been put down hard or dropped before I got it. Any suggestions on an amplifier and mic I could buy to amplify the sound?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:22 am

With the 6630 is difficult to feel and it can be really impossible on the right CP. Like I wrote, it is an end boss. Can you count the wheels?

There are a lot of good amplifiers for music. I use a portable recorder which can also be misused as amplifier. I don't know any mic which I can recommend. There is a mic with a builtin amplifier from China, which has a horrible amplifier. There are cheap guitar pickups, which are also very noisy.
<<

Rbailey885

Post Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:14 pm

As best I can count there are three wheels. I'm going to get an amplifier on it to see if I can hear anything. This is probably a stupid question but if the relocker bar has dropped, can you turn the safe upside down and get it to "fall out".
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:35 pm

If you can count three wheels, then the mechanism should be ok. All relockers in safes like this are spring-loaded. Turning upside down won't help.

Btw. what is written on the labels in the down right corner?
<<

Rbailey885

Post Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:54 pm

Sorry about any delay, I'm at work today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Next

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks