FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Criminal Statistics

<<

Josephus

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:08 pm

Re: Criminal Statistics

Very interesting topic.

I did a cursory glance at some criminal statistics reports from the FBI and they are somewhat difficult to interpret. The FBI has quarterly criminal reports on banking crime. Picking a few at random it seems about 7% are successful using the metric. A curious wording makes it hard to tell if the number meant burglary involving a safe or burglary of the safe. Carrying off a locked container is considered a burglary involving a safe. Even something as simple as a tin cash box with a cabinet lock.

Ran into some law office and law research websites along the way. Apparently a defendant is more likely to be charged with safe-cracking or an analog charge by using a stolen combination, key, or by unauthorized nondestructive access than actual damage.

I found no information at all on the rates of manipulation or sophisticated tool use.

There are current rising trends of this crime in areas around the US. One investigator in Texas insisted little skill and no specialized tools are being used. Anecdotes typically involve a sledge hammer and carrying the safe off.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:49 pm

In 93% of the cases safes are successful in protecting the family jewels? Wow!I didn't expect it to be better than in Germany, because what I have seen there are a lot of Residential Security Containers (and less) which are not screwed to the (wooden) wall.

German police distinguishes between tin cash box (with cabinet lock) and safe (which might be not have better secury like the safe with the potato lock (="lock which can be opened with a potato")). The German police does not publish anything after an arrest of a suspect and suspects are not named or shown. The proceedings after the arrest are the issue of the courts and attorneys.

I have in 300 crime related safes seen only one case where a sledge hammer was mentioned. This was a burglary where the criminals broke into a DIY superstore and tried to open the safe with all the tools they found there ... and failed. (So it was certainly not a safe sold there.) In total 19 cases (including the DIY superstore) "luxury tools" were mentioned. The luxury tool is nearly always an angle grinder, once a gas axe and once this "use all you can find". I can't say in how many percent of the safes a luxury tool is used, because in many cases no tools are specified ("safe was opened") and in most cases tools can be just implied ("safe was broken from the wall" or "safe was pried open" = probably a pry bar or a good screw driver).

There was one photo of a stolen safe which had still on all four sides wood from the furniture it was in. And this was in a stolen wheel barrow.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Josephus

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:05 pm

The numbers I looked at was only for banks. Bank robberies and burglaries.

I'd expect the numbers to be much worse for everyone else.

The sledge hammer use was rather interesting in details, but I didn't want to post anything here since I'm pretty sure discussing destructive techniques is forbidden.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:23 am

The only thing I can find with banks are ATM burglaries. I know also a method there involving a sledge hammer, but bearly all are blown up with gas sometimes destroying the building. I can't understand, why the banks don't build in gas protection. For me it is a SEP, so no statistics.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:04 am

Saw in Muenster in a shop window this burglarized safe. The broke of the dial (I assume the same as that on my safe no.4) and tried to pry open the door without the tiniest success. Then they broke the safe out of the wall and opened it either on site or off site.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:37 pm

ATM opening with hydraulic spreaders:

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... er-fest%2F
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:13 pm

<<

edocdab

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:11 am

Interesting videos and stats. Clearly most of the videos are mussle work, not brain work. Seems to me the safes were mostly pourly anchored or they would not even have been succesfull.
My youtube channel: https://youtube.com/c/edocdab
Previous

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks