FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Gate Order question

<<

Daro

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:26 am

Gate Order question

Hello KP!

So I have just begun manipulation and managed it one time on my mounted LG 3330 so far with a little help. I am currently trying to do he same lock with a new combo and getting some odd readings while trying to place the first gate on a wheel. Hi/Lo is giving inconsistent results different wheels indicated for same clear gate signal. Does the relative wheel height change when combo is changed? Last time it presented 3-2-1 but it seems to not be showing that again. Last question: Is there any thread here with what kind of variation we might expect in gate signaling the second graph after placing first found number on it's proper wheel?

Thanks KP community,
Daro :safedial:
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:38 am

Re: Gate Order question

In the 3330 there are effects which are independent on the combination and others which are. So a new combination behaves differently and the change to find numbers in different order.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Daro

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:58 pm

Thanks for that info! Knowing it could be different I re-ran Hi/long a few times until I found that the gates presented 1-2-3 this time around. I'm having real trouble seeing differences in Hi/Lo testing they've been very inconsistent. Been having to run on a guess the next wheel and see if I get a signal with it. Any advice?

Thanks,
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:18 am

A gate may be on more than one wheel, causing strange high low test results. It's not common but can happen.

Good luck :)
<<

Daro

Post Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:08 am

Femurat,

Thanks for the reply. So I finally got it open guessing the wheel since hi Lo didn't work. I measured a clear contact area wider on a wheel the number ended up NOT being on and the test number was nowhere near the actual gate ex: act. combo 89-21-34 but Hi test 99 -89-89 showed lower than 89-99-89. Don't get it. Love test didn't show correct wheel either.

Thanks,
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:35 pm

I use normally a distance of 5 for the wheel test, because that gives IMHO better measurements.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

L4R3L2

Post Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:26 pm

I'm fairly new myself, but maybe I can help a bit.

Changing to a different combination can change EVERYTHING! On my primary practice lock, I can sometimes find two gates in one run. Sometimes I even get a hint at the third. Change the combination, and the wheels are hiding the gates. AWL shows nothing. AWR gets me a hint of a gate I can eventually use to find the others, but only when I park wheels where the low areas are; and those have to be determined deliberately if any time is to be made in the game. Sometimes it's a two graph spin, which could easily be done in 15-20 minutes of free spinning, and other times it's a challenging spin that requires up to ten graphs, trying this and that to find low areas.

I've come to prefer checking gates by running one wheel at a time through the indicating area. If that doesn't show anything, THEN I'll resort to a high/low test. What works all boils down to where you park the other wheel(s). Park on a high area, and you won't see squat. Try parking your high or low wheels wherever you found the lowest areas to be while graphing. It might be ten off the gate number, it might be forty off! Usually, the answers don't come as easily as the textbook examples show.

Just like femurat said, keep in mind that when the gates of two wheels are on the same number, or within a number or two of eachother, a high/low test can appear to give "the gate" the large reading of the three because you are assuming you are only trying to determine one gate's wheel, when actually there are two at that position. It is actually the other two wheels (that have the smaller readings) that have gates. I ran into this two days ago, and it had me confused, too.
<<

L4R3L2

Post Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:35 pm

Daro wrote: Last question: Is there any thread here with what kind of variation we might expect in gate signaling the second graph after placing first found number on it's proper wheel?

Sure! Try this out. This thread begins where the textbooks leave off. Read through the whole thing, and you'll find more than you imagined would be in one place!

https://www.keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=7432
<<

Daro

Post Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:29 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies and assistance. I am trying out some of all your tips on a new combo set for me on my LG 3300.

Daro

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks