FAQ  •  My feedback  •  Feedback
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Yale OC5, or 0402?

<<

Familiar Face

Post Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:02 am

Re: Yale OC5, or 0402?

On a sidenote: you know what I really miss?... allexperts com. There was a fella on there by the name of Andy (I think).
That guy was an unbelievable historian on safe companies! What a loss.

You said a mouthful there, Oldfast. What a great resource that was and it is a shame the existing information wasn't saved somehow. Terry (Andy) Andreasen and Doug MacQueen provided tons of information about safes on that site. Andy seems to have dropped off the forums probably busy with his security business in California. Doug still hangs around antiquelocks.com now and then.

When I first got interested in safes one turned up on Craigslist. All it said was large old safe, $50. Naturally, I was at the guys place the next day to check it out. I knew it was a strange one but had no idea what I had bought. I posted to allexperts and Andy was amazed at what I had found. It was a very rare 1870's Martin C. Briggs safe which has an expanding door frame to secure the door instead of bolts that throw out. Both Andy and Doug knew about Briggs but had never seen one. Doug was able to provide a artist's drawing of one in an advertisement. Some time later one other Briggs turned up although it was larger and different than mine.

Dumb luck is better than no luck at all!
It is time... stand up for a constitutional America. Without it, we have shed blood in vain.
<<

Familiar Face

Post Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:34 am

Oldfast wrote:The drive cam being larger than the wheels; (I could be wrong) but, I'd say
nearly all friction fence type locks were made with cams that were slightly
larger than the wheels.

Now that has me wondering... My other Mosler/Yale friction fence locks have an enclosed case. I never paid attention if the drive cam is larger as it is never next to the wheel pack when the pack is out and you can't see inside the lock case when it is in. I never thought to compare them when disassembled. I have a spare one and will take a closer look tomorrow. Now I have homework.

It is time... stand up for a constitutional America. Without it, we have shed blood in vain.
<<

L4R3L2

Familiar Face

Post Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:31 am

So, here's more information, for the record. The lock in the op is not just an 0402. It is an 0402B, given that it has the bronze case instead of the iron case.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:38 am

Oh, good to know.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
Previous

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks