FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

J&J Taylor 1855 safe - Need Help !!

<<

BB 47

Post Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:09 pm

Re: J&J Taylor 1855 safe - Need Help !!

Sorry, bad wording ! I meant that the " Star" was the point that I had to turn the first number past 4 X and then stop it precisely at the "Star" and proceed in the opposite direction 3X to the next number, etc.

Now that I have opened the safe , I think I will take it in to a locksmith in Winnipeg, Manitoba to have the combination lock cleaned and lubricated as I still have to make several attempts at the combination to get the safe to open. It would appear that stopping the numbers precisely on the mark does not work and I have not figured out yet which number is slightly off the mark so the safe will only open on every third or fourth attempt at the combination. I cannot get it to open consistently every time I enter the combination !

Thanks again for all the help !!
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:28 pm

Now I'm confused. Normal start is:
1) The dial is positioned anywhere.
2) The dial is rotated left (at least) three times past the first number.
3) The dial is stopped the next time the first number is at the star.

Make sure he as experience with that stuff and let him show you how to open the lock. Unreliable opening can be caused by quite a number of reasons. The encoding of a wheel might have shifted, due to a loose clutch. Some pins could be worn. They could even be that much worn that the pins are slipping over each other.

And don't close the safe door unless you can repeatedly and reliably open the lock. It is much easier to repair something on an open safe.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

BB 47

Post Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:42 pm

You are correct ! The first number is rotated counter clockwise past the "Star" and is stopped on the fourth rotation at the "Star" !
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:46 pm

Good, then we mean the same.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Cheesehead

Familiar Face

Post Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:30 pm

I am in Winnipeg as well, I can probably point you to some people if you wish. I’m not a trained professional, I just mess around with locks.
<<

BB 47

Post Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:31 am

Thanks , any help / references for cleaning / repair in Winnipeg would be appreciated !
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:29 am

BB 47 wrote:Thanks , any help / references for cleaning / repair in Winnipeg would be appreciated !

webpirate is in Winnipeg. Try sending him a PM. I have his cell number here somewhere if you don't get a reply. http://www.keypicking.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=17486
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Previous

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks