FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Depth & spacing for safe keys?

<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:36 pm

Depth & spacing for safe keys?

Hi

As I've been looking at key machines and pondered on building a universal one myself as my clients tend to ask for duplicates & originals, I started looking for information on depth & spacing (& angle for some) for keys used in safes. Not much or nothing at all was my search results, so I'm turning to you. Do you have any sources or software or something that would tell me these?

What I mainly see is Mauer, Kromers, Chubbs and Rosengrens locks & keys here, but would be better of course to have wider database just to cover the oddballs.

Blanks I can get from Silca, JMA, Lebtig and from various online resellers, unless someone knows a very good one-stop-shop online. I purchase everything through my company, so trade-only-sales are not a problem.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Re: Depth & spacing for safe keys?

I believe in Europe it is necessary for all safe key duplication to send the key to be duplicated. I think this is required in the standard for security reasons, but I can't find it. I do not know if the keys are then decoded and cut by code or stupidly copied liked on a stupid key cutting machine.

I have heard that STUV is quite good to deal with. They have only keys fitting their own locks, but they can obviously fitted also to other locks.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:36 am

MartinHewitt wrote:I believe in Europe it is necessary for all safe key duplication to send the key to be duplicated. I think this is required in the standard for security reasons, but I can't find it. I do not know if the keys are then decoded and cut by code or stupidly copied liked on a stupid key cutting machine.

I have heard that STUV is quite good to deal with. They have only keys fitting their own locks, but they can obviously fitted also to other locks.

Nope, the keys are done by locksmiths/safe techs. Only if the key is patented or there is no blanks available, then you have to outsource the job. Never ever heard or seen about a standard defining such a thing.

Why else would the keyblanks be available for purchase if not for making keys?
<<

Werewolf

Familiar Face

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:23 am

Instacode has depth and spacing info on safe keys. At least for the big names.

The Keyline Sigma Pro looks like a good machine.
We have a Silca Prima Laser , but it's starting to show its age.
"Who are you and how did you get in here ?"
"I'm the locksmith , and i'm a locksmith"
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:46 am

Nothing to add - but there is a company online - lockcodes.com does the spaces if you input code - free Demo

will not give you the bitting - but may be helpful

ha wolf - hope you are well !

ringo
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:28 am

Bought Instacode subscription, it has other info also that I occasionally seem to need :) It doesn't have everything I need in terms of safe keys, only some of the blanks have dimensions given, so more could be of use.
<<

Visitor

Post Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:52 am

Instacode doesn't have safe s&d but is a useful bit of software if your in the buisness.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:43 am

Visitor wrote:Instacode doesn't have safe s&d but is a useful bit of software if your in the buisness.

It has some, like 71111, Novum, Convar and such, but any typical ones like Protector are missing.
<<

Visitor

Post Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:29 am

My bad, all the important ones, the big safe ones aren't there though, no Chubbs for example. I was pretty sure the president isn't on mine but I've just found it.
I also have other software's and they definatley only do cylinder keys.
Instacode has always been my favourite.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks