FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Need to ID this S&G

<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:27 pm

Need to ID this S&G

Would really appreciate an ID for this one. I can't work it out from the label, and it's the only pic I have that's got markings.

Anyone?

Many thanks

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:26 pm

Re: Need to ID this S&G

S&G 6200 Timebination lock. It is a single time delay unit on a 6730 lock. Turning the dial winds the mechanism then you enter the combination, wait the specific time (can be set between 5-30 minutes) and then you turn the dial to retract the bolt. You have I think 1 minute at the specified delay to open the lock or you have to do it all over again. Not sure on this but I think attempting to turn the dial at the wrong time will also reset the timer.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:07 pm

This ebay seller has also some other locks. They are all manipulation proof. The might be 8500 series locks. Is there the chance, that this is also an 8500?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:10 pm

Doubtful. The cam and lever needs some modifications and there isn't a lot of room for other moving parts.

<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:17 pm

Very good reasons.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Riyame wrote:S&G 6200 Timebination lock. It is a single time delay unit on a 6730 lock. Turning the dial winds the mechanism then you enter the combination, wait the specific time (can be set between 5-30 minutes) and then you turn the dial to retract the bolt. You have I think 1 minute at the specified delay to open the lock or you have to do it all over again. Not sure on this but I think attempting to turn the dial at the wrong time will also reset the timer.

Got yer. Many thanks, Riy. Much appreciated.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:07 pm

Btw. I did offer 25 and the seller just rejected without an own offer. So if you want to offer something you should perhaps offer something higher.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:27 am

Here are some pics of the time piece.
20180111_075650.jpg

20180111_075836.jpg

20180111_075951.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:23 am

Patent US4359883
<<

Riyame

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:51 pm

Alright, I did some digging though the stash. I have one of these that was used as a shop display that still works and a couple that are for parts. The display one is S&G from 1995, 2 others are S&G that are much older, and one is a Lagard 3330 with time delay. For the newer S&G ones the correct change key is "U10".

The older S&Gs can only be set for 15, 20, 25, or 30 minute delays while the newer S&G can be set from 5-30 minutes. The newer one also has different modifications to the lever, it has 2 pins instead of 1 in the older models.

The 3 "parts" units

The Lagard unit

Mounted to the lock

On the left side you can see the screws to set the time delay. On the bottom one there is a piece broken off on the middle bottom

One has a clear window so you can see it working

Here you can see where there are pins added to the lever and drive cam

Now for the new one.

There are different modifications to the new lock since they use a different movement in the time delay. There are 2 different pins in the lever and the one in the drive cam is placed differently.

The movement. The drive cam pin latches into the hook on the right and the dial winds the movement. Once it gets enough tension the hook pops open and releases the pin. You can see the adjustments for the time delay are quite different as well. IIRC the 2 pins on the lever interact with the part on the right. It blocks the lock until the correct time has elapsed (and POSSIBLY) resets the timer if you try to open it too early. I may be wrong about the last part.

<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:33 am

Very, very cool pics and write-up, Riy. Many thanks for putting it all together. Great reference.

MrAnybody's Locks

<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:04 pm

Someone bought the lock in the initial posting. It came a really bungled up lock, an assembly of the time lock case, an 8500 and an opening counter. The buyer returned this mess.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:46 pm

Got a photo. Does look quite professionally produced. 8560 Group 1R lock with interface pins on the cam (longer spring lifter) and lever screw. On this lock there is a 8470 Group 1R sticker. Perhaps this guy has different locks and perhaps this is quite an official lock.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks