FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

LH, RH, VU, VD

<<

ironwill04

Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:20 am

LH, RH, VU, VD

Hello,

I know that a lot of these locks can be mounted in 90 degree increments and that you can change the cam orientation. I am currently trying to mount my laggard 3330 and noticed that the cam looks like it is set up for LH; however, when I put it all together my contact area is 49-61. When mounted bolt sticks our the left hand side while I am looking at the dial (as if it were on a safe). I figured this was the correct way of mounting it for LH. Can anyone confirm these settings?

I assume it doesn't make too much of a difference as I can still manipulate it and transpose the numbers to the other side of the dial.

Wil
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:45 am

Re: LH, RH, VU, VD

What is correct depends on the safe. When you stand in front of the door and the bolt points to the left (or when looking from inside the safe to the right, which is the most common setup) the lock has to be mounted with the spline key in the RH slot. So screw the dial spindle into the cam as far as possible (without force) and than unscrew again until the spindle slot is at the first RH cam slot where dialing is easy. If the lock bolt points somewhere else in the safe you have to use the appropriate other cam slot for the spline key. If you have got the right slot for the spline key the drop zone is always around zero.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:56 am

The orientation is from looking "from inside the safe", as that is what you are looking at when installing the lock.
<<

NicNacPattyMac

Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:21 pm

Is there a way to know how the latch is set up from the outside of a locked safe without knowing the exact model?

My shop I work for has a lot of old safes and custom ones, and I never know how to set up my drill points.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:46 am

We could make a quiz!

I think without knowledge there is not much more than a best guess possible. From the few samples I know here the lock is often pointing to the handle. You could look through Oldfast's safe chronicles to make statistics to improve your success.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:42 pm

It is manufacturer dependant, so it can point to any direction.
<<

castle 2

Familiar Face

Post Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:35 pm

If your dial is going to be loose and unstable when you're mounting it on the correct orientation setting,I have found that shimming the lock body from the inside of the door to slightly increase the distance between the dial and the drive cam (and thereby taking up the slack) is the best method for fixing it...
crossing paths with people who have spent all day panicking and FRANTIC, desperately trying to recall the combination of a key operated lock
<<

Ironwill11

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:01 am

castle 2 wrote:If your dial is going to be loose and unstable when you're mounting it on the correct orientation setting,I have found that shimming the lock body from the inside of the door to slightly increase the distance between the dial and the drive cam (and thereby taking up the slack) is the best method for fixing it...

I do like that idea.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks