FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

A brief discussion about graphs...

<<

castle 2

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:39 am

A brief discussion about graphs...

Has anybody got any thoughts on the idea of a manipulation graph using a circular graph?
Thinking there must be a aay that is gonna produce a more identifiable and recogniseable skewing and a more than normal chance at the ability to ignore those erroneous(non gate) readings.?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:43 am

Re: A brief discussion about graphs...

I used the circular graph once to have a look at the behaviour of 3330 wheels. But for normal manipulation I went back to normal linear graphs. The circular graphs have three problems. Circular on a square sheet is not as space efficient, so graphs get smaller. When you get more to the centre of the graph it gets smaller. And it is more difficult to match the graphs for left and right contact point (at least if two circles are used like in the linear graph).
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

castle 2

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:00 pm

Is there no way of going about overlaying the graphs in an attempt at matching the left and right contact points? So have the readings for LCP in black and RCP in green, plotted onto the same graph template?
crossing paths with people who have spent all day panicking and FRANTIC, desperately trying to recall the combination of a key operated lock
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:23 pm

If you do only one graph per template and don't get confused where the different number ranges for LCP and RCP are ... yes, it is possible. Personally I like to do every graphing on one sheet. So I reuse templates four, five times. I can upload my circular template if you like to try.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:30 pm

Here it is. I can also provide odg and pdf.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

castle 2

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:25 pm

[quote="MartinHewitt"]If you do only one graph per template and don't get confused where the different number ranges for LCP and RCP are ... yes, it is possible. Personally I like to do every graphing on one sheet. So I reuse templates four, five times. I can upload my circular template if you like to try.[/quote]
If you have a template i can use i will get back to you on my progress and experience with using it for sure...

Talking of templates and things, do you have or know of a source for, a dial vernier scale template for more accurate dial reading?
<<

castle 2

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:28 pm

MartinHewitt wrote:Here it is. I can also provide odg and pdf.

Only just scrolled down, sorry..
Question re dial vernier scale template still applicable...
crossing paths with people who have spent all day panicking and FRANTIC, desperately trying to recall the combination of a key operated lock
<<

castle 2

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:36 pm

Also, does anyone have any experience of using the manipulation graphing app I have found on Google Playstore...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ionAidLite

...?
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:56 pm

castle 2 wrote:Question re dial vernier scale template still applicable...

Yes, I do, but you need to scale it for your dial. I am not sure JPG is the right format for this, but I can't attach an ODG. (Extension not allowed)
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:52 pm

castle 2 wrote:Also, does anyone have any experience of using the manipulation graphing app I have found on Google Playstore...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ionAidLite

...?

Awful!

"Settings" does nothing.
"Menu" opens an non-existing domain.
The scanning steps vary between 0.5 and 1. So you can read at 1, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, ... . Much to much points and not configurable.
The input of the contact points is with a granularity of 1 and not configurable. Much to coarse. The response of the programmer was that you can scale it yourself, so that 1/8 is 1. This would mean you also have to shift it. E,g, if your LCP is 8 3/8 you have to subtract 7 (lowest appearing LCP) and then multiply 1 3/8 by 8 giving 11. Wtf!
Contact points can be entered only in the range of 1 to 28.
The width is the sum of the left and right contact, i.e. LC 2 and RC 6 makes a width of 8 and LC 15 and RC 20 makes a width of 35. So if you do all the adjustments in your head like with the granularity, then you can calculate for e.g. a LCP of 8 3/8: 10 (highest appearing LCP) - 8 3/8 = 1 5/8 * 8 = 13.
The graph is a bar chart which is not easy to read.
It is not possible to save something or switch graphs. So you can just do one graph, throw it away and do the next one.

Because this app is over four years old I don't expect an update.
<<

castle 2

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 pm

[quote="MartinHewitt"][quote="castle 2"]Question re dial vernier scale template still applicable...[/quote]
Yes, I do, but you need to scale it for your dial. I am not sure JPG is the right format for this, but I can't attach an ODG. (Extension not allowed)[/quote]

Could you possibly please lend me access to the dial ring vernier template please, and if you have any gems of wisdom in regards to the attaching the template to the dial ring securely and firmly so it doesn't move and skew the readings?
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:22 am

http://analoghacking.com/vernier.html
Here is the best vernier I've been using for years.

I've tried round graphs but I find them difficult to read. I prefer the usual ones.

Cheers :)
<<

castle 2

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:15 am

[quote="femurat"]http://analoghacking.com/vernier.html
Here is the best vernier I've been using for years.

I've tried round graphs but I find them difficult to read. I prefer the usual ones.

Cheers :)[/quote]

For some reason my computer just does not want to play ball when it comes to this piece of software, I have tried it previously and have just retried it again...

Is there any chore task or burden i could perhaps trade with someone for them to be able to help me in the acquisition of the pdf or similar for the right template size for my Lagard 1800 series group 2 4wheel dial please?

I get the feeling i am being a total pain, but I unfortunately have no other options than to beg a hand at this point..
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:12 am

PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

Cheers :)

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks