FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Hot wire a sentry safe

<<

NicNacPattyMac

Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:41 pm

Hot wire a sentry safe

Wife picked up a crappy digital sentry fire safe (c serial number) and it's locked out.

So I figure I can either magnet it, drop it, or hot wire it.

Since hot wiring is the cheapest and least damaging (I'm looking to resale it) I figure I'd give it a try.

The board is external and inside the pad (another brilliant design from sentry). When removed you've got a power supply that runs to the batteries, and for wires running into it.

I went ahead and tried to directly connect the batteries to the four wires, two at a time, and ran through all possible combinations.

Looking at a video I see that the four wires split into two sets of two and both go to the solenoid. Red and yellow on one, green and black on the other.

So, where do I go from there?

I suppose each set would be positive and negative.

Green - negative
Black - positive

Yellow - negative
Red - positive

Maybe?

Also, will 9 volts be enough to trigger it or will I need some more kick?
<<

S&G

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:17 pm

Re: Hot wire a sentry safe

Link to video ?
Full model #?
<<

Werewolf

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:07 pm

The 4 wires are most likely going to be a form of serial connection to a board on the inside.
But I haven't played around witht these , so i'm not sure.

//edit: I was wrong about this , there is no board on the inside.
Last edited by Werewolf on Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Who are you and how did you get in here ?"
"I'm the locksmith , and i'm a locksmith"
<<

S&G

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:37 pm

and that's hard to do as either you "weekend rent" one and hack it and return it, or try to find one "garbaged".
I tried to get sentry to let me keep one "returned to be destroyed" but they said no chance.
You could buy one I spose.

WTD: Sentry electronic comb, complete (includes solinoid, serial and model number).
PM me.

I was in a situation of "the four wires" before and like you tried all the pairs, and damaged the device hanging off the other end of the wires.
The keypad won't accept combs you try, and just "errors" no matter what you do.
I suggest you discontinue trying this, or when you get it open (by magnet) the electronics may be toast.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:23 pm

NicNacPattyMac wrote:Since hot wiring is the cheapest and least damaging (I'm looking to resale it) I figure I'd give it a try.

Where did you get this information from? Because from your post it seems that you have no idea what you are doing or what those wires do and don't do.
<<

NicNacPattyMac

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:28 pm

Jaakko Fagerlund wrote:
NicNacPattyMac wrote:Since hot wiring is the cheapest and least damaging (I'm looking to resale it) I figure I'd give it a try.

Where did you get this information from? Because from your post it seems that you have no idea what you are doing or what those wires do and don't do.

My coworker who specializes in safes told me he often does this.

As far as the wires go I know the four link to the solenoid from pausing videos from Mr Locksmith doing the magnet trick.

I don't have a REM magnet and don't have money to blow on one (and still make a return).

As for knowledge of solenoids themselves, I studied them in the Navy as an ET. It's an electromagnet and a spring. Two wires must supply the magnet and two must act as a switch.
<<

NicNacPattyMac

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:36 pm

Werewolf wrote:The 4 wires are most likely going to be a form of serial connection to a board on the inside.
But I haven't played around witht these , so i'm not sure.

I'm sure that there's no board, and it's all integrated onto the front panel.
<<

NicNacPattyMac

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:41 pm

S&G wrote:and that's hard to do as either you "weekend rent" one and hack it and return it, or try to find one "garbaged".
I tried to get sentry to let me keep one "returned to be destroyed" but they said no chance.
You could buy one I spose.

WTD: Sentry electronic comb, complete (includes solinoid, serial and model number).
PM me.

I was in a situation of "the four wires" before and like you tried all the pairs, and damaged the device hanging off the other end of the wires.
The keypad won't accept combs you try, and just "errors" no matter what you do.
I suggest you discontinue trying this, or when you get it open (by magnet) the electronics may be toast.

Shoot, I'll try to convince the Ms that a REM is an investment. Wish me luck.

Oh, and I'm not comfortable sending a serial number over. Sorry.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:44 pm

Sorry I'm not much help with the electronics. Some Sentry safes
are susceptible to the method you're describing. Some are not.

You mention you intend to re-sell it though. If the electronics have been compromised
in any way, this could be a tricky (possibly even dangerous) situation for the next person.
Imagine someone desperately needing access to their medication that's been placed in it.
Just one of many scenarios. Some food-for-thought, that's all.

You might consider having some fun, then junking it. Also, if you're unable to open it...
you STILL might consider junking it. ANYTHING could be in it. And it's in YOUR possession.

S&G wrote:.....and that's hard to do as either you "weekend rent" one and hack it and return it, or.....

And I'm just gonna be blunt here; this is NOT a good suggestion, nor is it ethical. (just one fellas opinion tho)
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Oldfast

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:51 pm

NicNacPattyMac wrote:Shoot, I'll try to convince the Ms that a REM is an investment. Wish me luck.

Before investing in a rare earth magnet, what you could do is go to Sentry's website.
Last time I was over there, they had a place you could type in the serial/model #
of your safe and find out if that model is vulnerable to the magnet technique.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

NicNacPattyMac

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:02 pm

Well, that was a $30 lesson.

The panel is now flashing error in red four times and beeps when I reinstall the batteries.

So, yep, fried.

Well, I can practice drilling now I suppose. Or the magnet trick. Or whatever. It was $30, after all.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:11 pm

I don't think there is much drilling practice possible with this safe as there is nothing hard there. So you might want to look here for the possible answer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WhatsInThisThi ... ilding_to/
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Pick-Fu

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:40 pm

arent the little Sentry safes the ones that you can hit really hard on the top while turning the knob to get it to open? kind of like a bump key, dont turn until after you hit it.

I did this to a safe in a pawn shop, the guy said it I could open it then he would give it to me half off (it was marked at 20.00 so I got it for 10)
<<

NicNacPattyMac

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:48 pm

Pick-Fu wrote:arent the little Sentry safes the ones that you can hit really hard on the top while turning the knob to get it to open? kind of like a bump key, dont turn until after you hit it.

I did this to a safe in a pawn shop, the guy said it I could open it then he would give it to me half off (it was marked at 20.00 so I got it for 10)

I was thinking that might work, like I said with dropping it. The solenoid has to be soft enough to drop with low voltage electro magnet, after all.
<<

NicNacPattyMac

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:53 pm

Oldfast wrote:You might consider having some fun, then junking it. Also, if you're unable to open it...
you STILL might consider junking it. ANYTHING could be in it. And it's in YOUR possession.

No, it's out of the box new.

I don't want to say too much, but my wife has access to a retail distributor's auction house that's closed off from general the public.
Next

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks