FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Diebold safe

<<

Iowafordguy

Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:18 pm

Diebold safe

I guess I should start by saying I'm new to this. I found an old diebold safe on Craigslist and thought opening would be a good cold weather indoor project. I've done tons of reading and looked at pictures of the insides of different locks. Thought I was up to the challenge. Now I'm not so sure. Kinda have hit a wall. So I'm looking for advice. I believe there are three wheels plus the drive wheel. I also believe this must be a direct entry lock. I also believe that the last number is 47. If you apply pressure to the handle it locks the dial basically stationary except between about 45 and 50. So I assume this is a true gate. I have another suspected gate at about 55. My graph will show you why I think that. I originally thought that number would be on the third wheel but now am doubting myself. My set up is a dial indicator set up on the handle using a magnetic base with a torque wrench to turn the handle to apply the same force every time. Anyone have any advice or pictures of the inside of one of these exact locks? Sorry for the long drawn out description. Thank you in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:14 pm

Re: Diebold safe

Notice the bearing washers on hinges. This, along with double L hinges and L handle indicates it is a thin-wall safe. The lock probably?? is the K lock.
...Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air... Eagles, Hotel California, 1976
<<

Iowafordguy

Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:27 pm

bitbuster wrote:Notice the bearing washers on hinges. This, along with double L hinges and L handle indicates it is a thin-wall safe. The lock probably?? is the K lock.

I had suspected from my reading that it could be a k lock. But I can't find very much information on those online. And I know nothing about them.
<<

NicNacPattyMac

Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:28 pm

You can rest the indicating wheel on the fence and search the other wheels if you don't reset it every time.

Also, counting wheels is very easy. Just spin the dial several times, then count the clinks when you start spinning the other way.

Also, also, your graph is super messy. Usually I get the difference of about one full notch on the indicating wheel. I don't know what the hell is going on there. Are you sure you're doing it correctly?
<<

Iowafordguy

Post Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:42 pm

NicNacPattyMac wrote:You can rest the indicating wheel on the fence and search the other wheels if you don't reset it every time.

Also, counting wheels is very easy. Just spin the dial several times, then count the clinks when you start spinning the other way.

Also, also, your graph is super messy. Usually I get the difference of about one full notch on the indicating wheel. I don't know what the hell is going on there. Are you sure you're doing it correctly?

That is how I determined how many wheels I thought were there. I moved about 2.5 numbers per test. That is graphed across the bottom. The distance the handle would move is shown in the vertical plane. It is in thousandths of an inch. And no I'm not sure I'm doing it right. Hence why I'm here asking questions
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:51 am

In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Iowafordguy

Post Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:35 am

MartinHewitt wrote:Is this the same safe? https://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 91#p113298

No it isn't.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks