FAQ  •  My feedback  •  Feedback
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

One more can't hurt, right?

<<

madsamurai

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:57 am

One more can't hurt, right?

Hey everyone, been a while since I've had time to come around and do more than lurk, but now that the christmas shopping frenzy is over I hope to get a bit of free time to get back to my usual shenanigans here. I've totally missed you guys, hope you all had a great holiday.

So I scored an S&G 6731 from Santa and I'm gonna try to get it mounted up this weekend and try my first four-wheel manipulation (three wheels is soooooo last year). Of course I'll be spending my next day off digging thru Oldfast's four-wheelin' posts, but in the mean time are there any tips/tricks I should know going in? Or is it pretty much the same procedure as a 3-wheel just with lotsa more spinning?

Also, any of you single guys have any suggestions for setting random combinations without the convenience of an extra person? I think I may build a little arduino-controlled dialer rig here in another month or two, but until then I'm kinda stuck, and this new one is factory-new so all 50s and will have to be set before I can start. Best I can think of is to change all of my combination locks at the same time with random combinations, and hope I just forget them by the time I come back to manipulate... thing is, I tend to remember (can't remember where I left my darned keys, but can't forget numbers when I want to), and then I feel like I'm cheating...
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:31 am

Re: One more can't hurt, right?

give me a ring, we'll do lunch and I'll set them all to 1-2-3-4!
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

madsamurai

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:00 am

mastersmith wrote:give me a ring, we'll do lunch and I'll set them all to 1-2-3-4!

LOL... soon, I promise... I've only got 8 more days until my next day off, and then it's reduced hours thru January and February so I should have plenty of free time.
<<

capt-dunc

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:08 am

i generate some random numbers, rearrange the order if required to make a valid combo (ie not all rising/falling, not too close and no last number in the forbidden zone), and do a few locks at the same time. set them aside and forget.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:25 pm

So nice to see ya around Chad!! I'm in the same boat - just comin back around.
All I can do through the summer is my best to maintain at least 'lurking status'.
Lookin' forward to spending another winter here with ya my friend :D

You might take a look at CPT1911 write-up HERE. He does some comparative
writing on S&G's 3 and 4-wheel locks, along with some spinnin' on it. Of course,
there's no pictures anymore... but you may find something helpful in his words.

Setting a combination 'blindly' is very due able. I've done it many times, both
with key-change and hand-change wheels. With the key-change locks, it's only
useful for so long - cuz you WILL eventually catch on to your own 'patterns'.
Big thick gloves, earplugs, and humming while doing it (lol) can help prolong
how long you can trick yourself... but again, you still catch on eventually.

I dunno just how good your mind keeps #'s, but once your collection grows
large enough, you probably won't have such a problem with it. I know for
me - after a manipulation, I put a new combo in before it goes back on
the shelf. By the time I come back around to it... I'm none the wiser.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

madsamurai

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:45 am

Hiya Oldfast! It's good to be back (and to actually have TIME to be back), and even better to see ya! Thanks for the link to CPT1911's post, that's super helpful... I can't wait to get this thing mounted up and give it a spin -- or lots of spins, I suppose. I hope my wrist is up for the challenge!

I've tried blind setting combos, but the click of the cam drop-in gives my position on the wheel away (haven't tried gloves, earplugs or humming yet, tho ;) ) so I still feel like I know at least roughly what numbers I'm setting, or I go too far and end up with two wheels at the same spot. I'm going to try just setting a bunch of locks at the same time, using that Safe House online combo generator so I have to think about the numbers as little as possible. I think that'll work out fine, however I'm going to need to make up some more mounting boards first... I have 9 combo locks now and only two mounts so it's a bit inconvenient at the moment.

Anyhow, it's great to see ya and glad to hear you've got some free time on the way. I'm finally reaching the slow months at my day job so I'll be back at it, too. I did manage to squeeze in a couple of small projects over the summer and will be posting about those soon. Tonight I'm determined to finally pick my first sidebar lock... been working on this Schlage Primus off and on for a while, and I'm soooo close. Wish me luck!

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks