FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

MartinHewitt's Safe Chronicles

<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:04 pm

Re: MartinHewitt's Safe Chronicles

Great choice! But actually all of them are.

I could have chosen perhaps also CaptainDeMazareen as my nick, but then without a Lady Molly to rescue me I would have been stuck in the dungeon forever.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

edocdab

Familiar Face

Post Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:47 am

You'd open the dungeon door with a tool made from cobwebs and steal the criminal's safe for it's lock.
My youtube channel: https://youtube.com/c/edocdab
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:33 pm

After a to long holiday from safe opening I got today the chance to open another one. And I didn't have to leave my office as it was brought to me. The lock is a La Gard 3330.

In Germany one of the many stories of safe fairy lore is the "Kuchenblechmafia" video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lyoUe7CEYs . A Kuchenblech is a baking tray. The guy in the coat is criticizing the safes, which have a sheet thickness like a baking tray. Literal translation is "cake sheet". The sheet in the name is working better to make the connection with the sheets from which the safe was made. This safe here is showing even better that Rauh (the guy in the coat) is right. Wall and door are made from two thin layers of steel sheet with really nothing worth to be mentioned in between. It weighs 80kg. There isn't any real bolt work behind the fake handle. The bolt work consists of a weak strip of steel with four bolts that is connected directly to the lock bolt. I can push the top and bottom bolts fully in just with my thumb. Rauh is claiming fraud and he is there IMHO right too. The price of this safe 20 years ago would be now (corrected by inflation) about $1000. Where Rauh was really a dud was with burglary. If he would have been a good burglar we would have to miss this great video.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MartinHewitt on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
<<

edocdab

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:56 am

Quite amazing how they failed to open it. Shouldn't be that hard but it looks like they made mistakes in their approach. Won't go into detail about what I think, given the topic. Thanks for sharing the story and video Martin.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:08 am

The full video with all the mocking comments is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVhYhLQ4Y64 but probably only that interesting if you understand German. The content of that video is real and nothing is fake. The guy is real and his former safe company is real. I have seen in connection with another very interesting case invoices from his company. He has also a current personal web site.

Next safe to be opened is basically in the cue. One much more impressive.
<<

edocdab

Familiar Face

Post Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:08 am

I'll check it. My German is often sufficient to understand.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:35 am

Next one. It is a grade 3 deposit safe. It was completely under water due to a flood. The electronic lock did not much anymore, just a bit of a beeping. The key for the emergency lock was not found. Helped a friend getting it open by picking the class B emergency lock. I don't want to show to much, because it will be put into service again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Alexander Mundy

Familiar Face

Post Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:50 am

I think that is a downfall of most safes with electronic locks, a pickable backup mechanical lock.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:58 am

In this case the downfall of the safe was the electronic lock. The backup worked as intended, if a key would have been found.
<<

Alexander Mundy

Familiar Face

Post Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:04 pm

What I meant was it is only as secure as the mechanical lock no matter how secure the electronic lock is.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:53 pm

The weakest lock determines the security, yes. If the burglar brings with him a pick, then it is the key lock. If he has a black box, then it is the electronic lock. But I have never heard about a non-government burglar having safe picks or black boxes.
Previous

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks