FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Safe Opening... Is this of any value

<<

pickmonger2

Post Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:04 am

Safe Opening... Is this of any value

I found that a lot of guides on opening a safe are total crap. Could someone please have a look at this wiki and comment on any serious mistakes ?

https://www.wikihow.com/Crack-a-Safe
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:55 am

Re: Safe Opening... Is this of any value

pickmonger2 wrote:I found that a lot of guides on opening a safe are total crap. Could someone please have a look at this wiki and comment on any serious mistakes ?

https://www.wikihow.com/Crack-a-Safe

Remember to reset the dial between each attempt by spinning it several times.
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:22 am

It's full of crap.

I'd rather not post a full breakdown of it's errors, there are other sources for good information, it would take ages and whilst I'm happy to share what I know and help people to learn manipulation, I'm not too keen on potentially helping whoever wrote this. They clearly have never done a safe manipulation(or used a safe with a group two lock - see below) & they have tried to summarise their misunderstood grasp of the topic from reading about the process. They did a bad job of that.

Just for starters :

As Jaakko pointed out, the idea of resetting the wheel pack by 'spinning it several times' between taking each reading is a stupid way to waste time.

Once you understand wheel action, you can minimise dialling & save an enormous amount of time by keeping track of where you parked each wheel & moving them as necessary. Resetting the lock by 'spinning it several times' as directed is a huge waste of time.

The idea of taking contact point readings every 3 increments is bad advice. It is often said that taking readings every 2.5 increments is effective, and it is, but can result in a failed opening. Taking readings every 3 increments is just asking for trouble.

Taking readings every 2 increments is better practice, especially on higher quality locks.

The explanation of how the locks work is wrong in many ways, including the claim that the fence always rests on the wheels. There is no explanation of how the drive cam gate controls the fence's access to the wheels. This is extremely relevant.

The graphs shown are totally senseless.

The idea that all three gates will show in one 'all wheels left/right' graph of the wheel pack is (almost always) absurd, as is the idea that one should simply start again from scratch if the 3 best indications(plus or minus an increment) on that graph don't correspond to the combination, especially when readings are only taken every three increments.

The writer has clearly never even USED(let alone manipulated) a safe fitted with a lock like those they attempt to explain! They direct the reader to "check the handle" each time after dialling their potential combinations. You know you've manipulated the lock successfully when the nose of the lever drops into the drive cam gate & the dial comes to a hard stop. Checking the handle would apply to a direct entry type lock.

You are right that a lot of guides on this topic are total crap, but this seems to be the worst I've ever seen of any that seem as if it's meant to be taken seriously. It's abysmal.

I wish I could write the above more diplomatically, but the 'guide' is so messed up that I find this is very difficult.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:55 am

Love the second photo of the "spindle" *snickering* Looks more like HSK63 holder to me :mrgreen:

Edit: If you want technical/good/starter reading, download a copy of the Safecracking for Computer Scientist. After reading that, get a practice lock on a stand and start reading it again and doing it for real. That's how I started a few years back.
<<

capt-dunc

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:51 pm

got to agree, matt blaze's doc is the best start. if you can't follow it, you're not ready.

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks