FAQ  •  My feedback  •  Feedback
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

MartinsHewitt's 3330

<<

Cheesehead

Familiar Face

Posts: 22

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:26 am

Post Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:09 am

Re: MartinsHewitt's 3330

MartinHewitt wrote:The only wheel making problems when set near the contact area should be W3, but with my last scans W3 was at 32 ... but not always ... When I set W2 to something near the contact area W3 is automagically also near the contact area when passing the contact area the next time ... I will have to think about that. Thanks. And I will redo W3 with LCP.


Hmm, you're right that 32 does look strongly like a gate signature. But I've found with my LaGard that what seems to be a gate signature at first usually needs adjustment later.

When you say W3 do you mean the wheel last to set on a normal opening or first to set? I think we need some sort of new terminology, this always frustrates me. I always refer to wheels in ascending order of how they are set. Problem is you can't say frontmost or anything like that because it's different on every lock...

Good luck!

-Tyler
<<

MartinHewitt

User avatar

Active Member

Posts: 430

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:19 pm

Location: Germany

Post Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:36 pm

Re: MartinsHewitt's 3330

Thanks, I had it. Open in 182 minutes.

L/RCP scan of L2.5/R79/x. General low area in 12.5 - 31. A very slight indication around 29. Just 1/16th or so. L/RCP Scan of L2.5/Rx/L29. Perhaps something at 0 (started at 0) and a good indication at 77. I stopped there at 75 to see how W1 behaves. L/RCP scan of L/R77/L29 between 95 and 25. Low area between 5 and 10 and an indication at 15. Took my chance with 15 and dialed 15/77/29. Nothing. Just to check before I continue I dialed 15/0/29 and it was open. The LCP was not good to get an indication, but it excluded a few potential values, e.g. because of LCP W1 could have been in the range of 12.5-31 only 12.5, 22.5 and 27.5-31.

PS: The scratching seems to come from the dial. The safe door was made for a key lock and there is not much space around the spindle.
<<

Cheesehead

Familiar Face

Posts: 22

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:26 am

Post Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:54 am

Re: MartinsHewitt's 3330

MartinHewitt wrote:Thanks, I had it. Open in 182 minutes.

L/RCP scan of L2.5/R79/x. General low area in 12.5 - 31. A very slight indication around 29. Just 1/16th or so. L/RCP Scan of L2.5/Rx/L29. Perhaps something at 0 (started at 0) and a good indication at 77. I stopped there at 75 to see how W1 behaves. L/RCP scan of L/R77/L29 between 95 and 25. Low area between 5 and 10 and an indication at 15. Took my chance with 15 and dialed 15/77/29. Nothing. Just to check before I continue I dialed 15/0/29 and it was open. The LCP was not good to get an indication, but it excluded a few potential values, e.g. because of LCP W1 could have been in the range of 12.5-31 only 12.5, 22.5 and 27.5-31.

PS: The scratching seems to come from the dial. The safe door was made for a key lock and there is not much space around the spindle.


Nice work! So you couldn't feel the wheel at 0 at all as you went past the number?
I have trouble when the number is at 0 as well. I guess a plan would be to make sure to scan wheels 1-2 while wheel 3 gets parked at something like 20, so you can run those wheels freely. Maybe as part of the initial scan of all wheels.

-Tyler
<<

MartinHewitt

User avatar

Active Member

Posts: 430

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:19 pm

Location: Germany

Post Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:08 am

Re: MartinsHewitt's 3330

Thanks!

If you are referring to "Perhaps something at 0 (started at 0)": I have to start somewhere for making a graph. Because the sheet is from 0 to 100 I start at 0 (e.g. AWL) or at 100 (e.g. AWR) if there are no other constraints. So in this graph I started with 0 and had only half of a gate signature. If I do something like L20/Rx/L80 then I start scanning W2 from 17.5 downward until 20, or in case of L20/R70/Lx I start with W2 at 72.5 and go up around to 70.
<<

femurat

User avatar

Prolific Poster

Posts: 855

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 pm

Location: Italy

Post Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:06 am

Re: MartinsHewitt's 3330

I always start at 0 too. One time I had a gate at 0 and missed it for the same reason. From that moment on, when I finish a graph, I take readings again at 100 and then compare them with the ones I took at 0. Usually they match. They should. Then I imagine the graph is continuing at 0 to see if there's something interesting in that area.

Cheers :)
An old post of mine that you'd like to read is missing pictures? PM me and I'll fix them.
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Active Member

Posts: 297

Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:55 pm

Location: Finland

Post Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:47 pm

Re: MartinsHewitt's 3330

Cheesehead wrote:When you say W3 do you mean the wheel last to set on a normal opening or first to set? I think we need some sort of new terminology, this always frustrates me. I always refer to wheels in ascending order of how they are set. Problem is you can't say frontmost or anything like that because it's different on every lock...

This doesn't require anything new, it is as it has always been. The dialing order to dial a lock open is W1, W2 and W3 on a 3 wheel lock. There is no need to refer to the frontmost or rearmost wheel, as it has no bearing on the process and different locks have the order of wheels different in the lock.

W1 requires the most amount of dialing, while W3 is the easiest to dial around.
Last edited by Jaakko Fagerlund on Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

MartinHewitt

User avatar

Active Member

Posts: 430

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:19 pm

Location: Germany

Post Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: MartinsHewitt's 3330

Sorry, that I missed this question. Yes, W1 is the wheel which is set first and hence has the most amount of dialing.

And btw. Jaakko, your quoting is a bit misleading.
<<

Cheesehead

Familiar Face

Posts: 22

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:26 am

Post Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:04 pm

Re: MartinsHewitt's 3330

Jaakko Fagerlund wrote:
Cheesehead wrote:
MartinHewitt wrote:When you say W3 do you mean the wheel last to set on a normal opening or first to set? I think we need some sort of new terminology, this always frustrates me. I always refer to wheels in ascending order of how they are set. Problem is you can't say frontmost or anything like that because it's different on every lock...

This doesn't require anything new, it is as it has always been. The dialing order to dial a lock open is W1, W2 and W3 on a 3 wheel lock. There is no need to refer to the frontmost or rearmost wheel, as it has no bearing on the process and different locks have the order of wheels different in the lock.

W1 requires the most amount of dialing, while W3 is the easiest to dial around.


Of course this makes the most sense, it's just that sometimes when I read posts on combination locks it seems that they have been referring to them in the opposite order. This is how I refer to the wheelpack as well.

femurat wrote:I always start at 0 too. One time I had a gate at 0 and missed it for the same reason. From that moment on, when I finish a graph, I take readings again at 100 and then compare them with the ones I took at 0. Usually they match. They should. Then I imagine the graph is continuing at 0 to see if there's something interesting in that area.

Cheers :)


Yes this is right. I'm thinking sometimes it would be good sometimes to park wheel 3 at some location away from the contact points so that taking readings is easier. I get sloppy when I have to check readings from both sides of the fly.

-Tyler
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Active Member

Posts: 297

Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:55 pm

Location: Finland

Post Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:20 am

Re: MartinsHewitt's 3330

MartinHewitt wrote:Sorry, that I missed this question. Yes, W1 is the wheel which is set first and hence has the most amount of dialing.

And btw. Jaakko, your quoting is a bit misleading.

Whoops, should have checked, sorry :D Oh well, I'll blame jetlag.
<<

MartinHewitt

User avatar

Active Member

Posts: 430

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:19 pm

Location: Germany

Post Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:02 am

Re: MartinsHewitt's 3330

Excellent excuse!
Previous

Return to Safes, Strongboxes & Combination Locks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot]

Don't forget to visit our sponsors for all of your lockpicking needs!
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Grop
"CA Black" theme designed by stsoftware